Depression/Anxiety

[quote]BigRedMachine87 wrote:
Is there anything that works?

I’ve been reading about 5-HTP and L-tryptophan. Neither seem promising.

I have a pretty good diet. I’ve been doing power lifting training since November 2011. I take fish oil and flax seed.

[/quote]

Hi BigRed,
Gotta tell ya, I’m usually a skeptic when it comes to herbals or OTC stuff, myself. However, I’ve recently been training for a comp, which has made it difficult for me to cope with some other issues in my life, and BAM- depression ensued…I was pretty desperate for a while, but am kinda unwilling to try nasty pharmaceuticals with all those side-effects. (Hey! I feel great! Too bad I’m balding, gained 35 lbs and have this facial tic…Ikid,Ikid)
I started 5-HTP as a last ditch…taking 200 mg a day in 2 divided doses, 1 in AM 1 before bed. All other factors are the same. It took a few days to kick in, but I have to tell you, it is making a big difference. I went from getting through my days and wanting to sleep all the time, to the occasional nap and actually finishing tasks and SMILING. Huh. It apparently works by increasing seratonin levels. It’s pretty cheap, and I can highly recommend it’s at least worth a shot.
Also, it never hurts to talk to a medical pro, either. There may be a medical reason behind your depression,hormonal imbalances or the like, or perhaps speaking with someone could help you figure out the basis for your depression and ways to work it out. Good luck, my friend, and keep lifting. Training is def a great outlet…
:slight_smile:

I’ve been taking it about a week. I can tell no difference at all. I’ll finish the bottle of 30 out though.

I’ve struggled with both for a while now, OP. There are so many supplements out there, and some actually work. Magnesium and B vitamins are the first go-to supplements for anxiety. But don’t buy cheap magnesium; your body won’t absorb it well. I believe magnesium citrate is the most effective.

I use a product called Natural Calm and definitely notice an impact on anxiety. I also love theanine. Make sure to get one that contains suntheanine, the best, if you decide to try it. There are so many others - inositol, taurine, ashwagandha, bacopa…

Probiotics are never a bad idea. Your stomach produces many neurotransmitters, so take care of your gut!

But most importantly, for real, go see a doctor. Tell him you don’t want to take antidepressants. He’ll still be able to help you out. You never know - it could be something like significantly low testosterone levels.

First, I have to admit I haven’t read every single post made on this thread with exception to the main topic at hand. So I apologize if there is something I talk about in my post that has already been addressed.

I don’t believe in antidepressants either. Neither do the younger professors of psychology at the two research universities I attended. Even worse, are the commercials that tell you to add anti-psychotics like abilify and seroquel. Those medicines have their place, but not in treating depression.

I have been struggling with depression and anxiety for several years now. It has to have been about 4-5 years maybe, though I could be wrong. It started in freshman year of college.

Since then I have been to 3 psychiatrists. The first was horrible, but the second and third were great. Unfortunately my second psych retired and I got sent to his associate and a psychotherapist, both I must say, are easy on the eyes and only a few years older than me.

Anyways I digress. I have been on roughly 12 antidepressants on the carousel ride that is antidepressant medications. None of them worked. It took the second psychiatrist to look at my history (back to elementary school days and teacher reports) and observe my behavior to get a diagnosis that I wasn’t expecting- inattentive ADD. See, most doctors miss this and simply label it depression since the most people getting an ADHD diagnosis are elementary and upper level children who are hyperactive and get bad grades. I have always had fantastic grades and am going to grad school now, but when it comes to social and financial aspects of life, I am horrible at them. (They look at 3 primary criteria (school/work, social, and financial). If someone, in a nutshell, sucks at 2 out of 3 of those, there is a good indication that you have some form of ADHD, whether its hyperactive, inattentive (the hard to spot one, or a mixture of both).

I’m not saying you have ADHD or ADD innatentive type (where people tend to have more depression like symptoms). However, I think it’s worth talking to a doctor about when you give him your symptoms. MOST IMPORTANT- Don’t say you think you have ADHD because that throws up a red flag saying “I need adderall or pills”. Just explain your symptoms and see what he/she says.

However, adderall also helped my depression and anxiety because it allowed me the motivation to do things I wouldn’t do before. I couldn’t leave my dorm for months and passed a semester purely on notes from others. I couldn’t go to my dorms shared bathroom until a certain time. I would literally scout out when the best time was to go to the bathroom for fear of someone being in there (fyi in my dorm the best time was a 15 minute window of 5:15-5:30am in morning. So I would get up around that time. My entire world revolved around this. Adderall, mostly due to the dopamine action, has increased my overall mood. Of course ADD and depression are two different monsters but they go hand-in-hand. This exposes the reason why traditional antidepressants don’t work. Simply inhibiting the reuptake of neurotransmitters isn’t going to cut it. Taking an antidepressant like zoloft is going to leave a lot of serotonin in the synapse (gap) between two neurons, but that doesn’t guarantee the serotonin molecule is going to actually bind to it’s receptor on the post-synaptic neuron and illicit a response.

Another route you can possibly take is this… I suffer from chronic migraines and headaches. Nothing help medicine wise for my headaches, whether it was dihydroergotamine, nerve blocks, topamax or beta-blockers or triptans or lamictal.

*BUT when I was on lamictal I did see that there was a slight reduction in my depressive symptoms. This is note worthy because it was (and has been since then) the only medicine out of all the ones I have tried that has even come close to helping (at 100mg of lamictal btw). This, in fact, is a well-documented phenomenon in psychiatry and neurology. No one really knows EXACTLY why this happens but it does happen with some people. If you don’t like anti-depressants like me, I would try to ask the doctor about it.

Like I said, there is a paradigm shift away from antidepressants. Drugs with reuptake inhibitions are being tossed from the pipelines for being no better than placebo. Just look at the drug companies (a great example is Eli Lilly) and how they are cutting their mental health programs, because their drugs have failed.

**What I am about to say is probably the most important, however. I cannot stress the need for seeing a therapist more. They have helped me and so many others with similar issues. Maybe concentrate on one who has a doctor of psychology degree (they know more) and look at their specialties. If you don’t like the one you go to the first time you meet, (they even tell you this) just try another one until you find someone you’re comfortable with. It was weird the first time I went to see one, but it gets better each session as they establish a good “relationship” with you. Also, I suggest a cognitive-behavioral approach as it is generally considered the most helpful and has the most efficacy when compared to other forms of therapy like psychoanalytic or just behaviorism alone.

I hope this post helped. Sorry it was so long. I just thought I had to post it because you sounded very similar to me, especially when you said you hated antidepressants. I wish you the best and please don’t hesitate to message me if you have any more questions about anything.

Have a fantastic day.

The folks on this thread who say its all in your head have CLEARLY never had a serious anxiety attack. Sorry just saying.

I had one out of the blue some time ago and the anxiety that followed was almost unberable.

My doctor put me on 10mg of Lexapro a day…30 days later I felt like a new person. 6 months after and he weened me off of them and I am just fine now.

SEE A DOCTOR…get some blood work done and fix the problem.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:
The folks on this thread who say its all in your head have CLEARLY never had a serious anxiety attack. Sorry just saying.

I had one out of the blue some time ago and the anxiety that followed was almost unberable.

My doctor put me on 10mg of Lexapro a day…30 days later I felt like a new person. 6 months after and he weened me off of them and I am just fine now.

SEE A DOCTOR…get some blood work done and fix the problem.[/quote]

I agree entirely. Anti depressants have turned my life around. It is taking some time to find the ‘best drug’ for me, as some didn’t work too well: Celexa, Wellbutrin & Viibryd. I also suffer from anxiety, and take an anti-anxiety medication as needed. Depression & Anxiety are serious problems which require serious attention. Anti depressants do work.

Please see a doctor.

5-HTP is a very potent product on some people. It is a drug that alters your sympathetic system and it MUST be considered like that.

Everything messing with serotonin other than sunshine should be taken seriously. There are no guidelines for 5-HTP, no recommanded and approved dosage, etc…

Anti-depressants can cause trouble BUT taken with a full medical attention and with a therapist is proven to be helpful. But it is important to stay alert about how you use the medication and not start to self medicate or shit like that.

Depression is an illness. There are tons of possible causes in your life but sometimes the causes are physical or you cannot change them easily.

Don’t be afraid to see a therapist.

what probiotics will be your fist choice?

Train less, stop drinking, eat well, sleep 8-10 hours a day and go walk outside !

Omg you’ve changed threads…isn’t your issue anorexia?

10 hours! I’d have to go to bed at 6pm :rofl:. Wouldn’t it be nice to get that much though … sigh

That’s two nights of sleep for me :joy:

1 Like

I saw. One more. I’m tired of all of them. Another treatment and no result at all. We udes mirtazipin+veloflaxin. Californican rocket fuel or aometh like this they called this combination. No.relief.at.all! nothing.

and no, i can’t go outside!
i have OAB my entire life and last 5-6 years it was worst then ever. last year i became almost totally lonely wolf:all my outside is some chores that need to be done and gym. no friends, no lovers. simply 'cause it’s impossible when you have neurogenic bladder.
and i already know that you or anybode here will not understand this issue, because the one can simply understand uless he feel it himself

Taurine works a lil bit IME (in terms of mental clarity +anxiety reduction etc). Nothing else I’ve tried does anything noticeable.

1 Like

I’m not understanding your post but hopefully you’re seeing a dr

Zinc
Sodium
Vit D
Vit Bs
Magnesium