Depression/Anxiety

Is there anything that works?

I’ve been reading about 5-HTP and L-tryptophan. Neither seem promising.

I have a pretty good diet. I’ve been doing power lifting training since November 2011. I take fish oil and flax seed.

Sunshine/Vitamin D
Healthy Fats
Not Drinking
B Vitamins (Especially Folic Acid)

IMO It’ s all in the mind. As in, good food gives your brain the tools to work well… but you have to think well. Hope, optimism, seeing the best in people/situations, mantras wilk work more than vitamin d (though important) IME. see this

strippy bars and stop training 7 days a week

1 Like

I was even more unhappy before I became obsessed with the gym.

I’ll try vitamin D. It’s winter, do I haven’t gotten much sun and I don’t really spend a lot of time getting sun anyways.

vitamin D3 does wonders for me in the winter, and actually all year round since I don’t stay out in the sun long I guess.

[quote]KcThrows wrote:
vitamin D3 does wonders for me in the winter, and actually all year round since I don’t stay out in the sun long I guess. [/quote]

As much food as I eat and as much milk as I drink, I’d be surprised if I had a problem with vitamin d, but I got some tablets anyways.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
strippy bars and stop training 7 days a week[/quote]

Haha, this!

[quote]BigRedMachine87 wrote:

[quote]KcThrows wrote:
vitamin D3 does wonders for me in the winter, and actually all year round since I don’t stay out in the sun long I guess. [/quote]

As much food as I eat and as much milk as I drink, I’d be surprised if I had a problem with vitamin d, but I got some tablets anyways.[/quote]

Many suggest talking vitamin D in doses of 2,000-6,000 IU per day (which is, of course, a fraction of what you can get by spending a couple of hours outside on a sunny summer day). Milk has about 400 IU vitamin D per litre. I take 5,000 IU per day and feel healthier than ever over the last several winters.

Is it sudden or been for a long while? Are you sure you are not overtraining?

[quote]stefan128 wrote:

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
strippy bars and stop training 7 days a week[/quote]

Haha, this![/quote]

exactly :haha

Flax seed is estrogenic and could cause your hormones to be not optimal.

I’ve been like this since I was a preteen. I’ve only been training since 2011. So it has nothing to do with that. Training so much keeps me going.

Maybe seeing some type of doctor may help.

I posted this in another thread, but:

Fish oil
vitamin D3
probiotics
inositol
lysine
magnesium

all work synergistlcally for depression/anxiety

1 Like

St. John’s Wort is hailed by many as a natural anti-depressant. Did f**k all for me though.

What do mean when you say depressed - generally feeling down and miserable, or thinking of blowing your brains out?

they are actually researching creatine as possible help for depression,too (5g a day)

I take 5g of creatine in my post work out shakes.

[quote]stefan128 wrote:
Maybe seeing some type of doctor may help.[/quote]

Jesus Christ, this.

Fish oil, vitamins, creatine, probiotics, estrogen from flax seeds… if the guy has been depressed since his preteen years, he needs to seek help from qualified medical professionals. Antidepressants/anxiolytics aside, a thorough physical and psychological evaluation should be the bare minimum before recommending he resort to haphazardly self-medicating with supplements.

[quote]Grumpig Hunt wrote:
St. John’s Wort is hailed by many as a natural anti-depressant. Did f**k all for me though.[/quote]

Fun Fact: it’s actually the most commonly prescribed antidepressant in Germany, believe it or not.

That’s not necessarily meant to be taken as an endorsement of the supplement, as I have no clue if the Germans are renowned for their herbal savviness… but, docs over there DO prescribe it at 4x the rate of Prozac and there is evidence indicating it is of comparable efficacy to low-dose tricyclic antidepressant medications, with less side effects.

If you don’t mind my asking: did you find anything that DID end up working for you?