Depressed Germans are Funny

[quote]In10s wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:
I try not to use the word “hate” when talking about anything other than food, but I really really very strongly dislike Germans and German culture. [/quote]

WTF?

Would you please care to explain yourself?[/quote]

Sure thing. I guess it bears some explanation. Here goes:

I’ve lived in Germany for a bit over a year now. I have spent significant time in foreign countries to include Singapore, Indonesia, and the UAE. I was very much looking forward to living here. I heard that the Germans were reticent, generally welcoming in a gruff sort of way, enjoy their beer and are open about sex. It seemed like it would be my kind of place.

Well, setting aside certain cultural differences that I just disagree with (deodorant isn’t as popular here as it should be) there are things I just can’t forgive. First and foremost, racism is prominent and unabashed. Most of the black soldiers in my unit don’t go out anymore, because the police hassle them, and the bar scene gets unfriendly very quickly.

Secondly, there’s no backbone to the people here. Nothing is done in a confrontational manner, everything is passive aggressive. This manifests in the bureaucratic aspects of the government as well as in social interactions between the people. Lastly, and I feel bad complaining about this, but I have to get it out, the food is horrible. Everything is fried pork and cheese. The beer is extremely overrated as well. There’s very little variety to it.

It may have been imprudent of me to blanket an entire culture with a statement like I did, but I remain unapologetic and stand by my opinion. I’ve given Germany a fair chance and simply don’t care for it. They don’t even lift. [/quote]

Interesting that you mentioned that most of the black guys in your unit prefer to stay in. The racism is that bad? I thought black Americans encountered less racism there than in the U.S. In fact, I thought they would be placed on pedestals and worshipped largely because of the universal “coolness factor” associated with urban/hip hop music and culture. When I hear Germany and racism I usually associate it with Turks and other Muslim immigrants. I thought American blacks would be immune to this.

With respect to no one lifting, that’s surprising also. Aren’t the Germans renowned for their emphasis on physical fitness/culture? They always achieve a big medal count at the Olympics. Alot of the top IFBB pros have been German guys in the last decade (Dennis Wolf, Gunther Schlierkamp, Markus Ruhl etc…).

With regards to the need for deodorant, the FRENCH will always take first, second and third place in that event![/quote]

Generally I’d say Blacks are treated way better in the states than in Europe. I’ve travelled to about 15 countries in Europe and with the exception of maybe Holland and central London, blacks are(quietly) viewed as second rate humans. Watch Gomorrah as an example, -Italy is like a klansman’s wet dream

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]In10s wrote:
With regards to the need for deoderant, the FRENCH will always take first, second and third place in that event![/quote]

the french are a stinky bunch, no doubt. this is a good point~[/quote]

That’s one stereotype I’ve never found to be true (I’m English). The women aren’t hairy either, all very well maintained.

An American girl told me that in the States English guys have a reputation for being smelly, but I’m betting that this is because we are rollicking drunk whenever we hook up with them.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
Generally I’d say Blacks are treated way better in the states than in Europe. I’ve travelled to about 15 countries in Europe and with the exception of maybe Holland and central London, blacks are(quietly) viewed as second rate humans. Watch Gomorrah as an example, -Italy is like a klansman’s wet dream[/quote]

EASY now. There are massive differences between different European countries and even within each one of them, the regional aspects matter. As I told you, I dislike sweeping generalistations and this thread is full of them.

As to the difference between East and West Germany: yup. Still there. Then there’s a big difference between north and south, urban and rural… And let’s not forget the differences between different people. Hell, some boroughs of Berlin dislike each other because they’re so different!

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:
I try not to use the word “hate” when talking about anything other than food, but I really really very strongly dislike Germans and German culture. [/quote]

WTF?

Would you please care to explain yourself?[/quote]

Sure thing. I guess it bears some explanation. Here goes:

I’ve lived in Germany for a bit over a year now. I have spent significant time in foreign countries to include Singapore, Indonesia, and the UAE. I was very much looking forward to living here. I heard that the Germans were reticent, generally welcoming in a gruff sort of way, enjoy their beer and are open about sex. It seemed like it would be my kind of place.

Well, setting aside certain cultural differences that I just disagree with (deodorant isn’t as popular here as it should be) there are things I just can’t forgive. First and foremost, racism is prominent and unabashed. Most of the black soldiers in my unit don’t go out anymore, because the police hassle them, and the bar scene gets unfriendly very quickly.

Secondly, there’s no backbone to the people here. Nothing is done in a confrontational manner, everything is passive aggressive. This manifests in the bureaucratic aspects of the government as well as in social interactions between the people. Lastly, and I feel bad complaining about this, but I have to get it out, the food is horrible. Everything is fried pork and cheese. The beer is extremely overrated as well. There’s very little variety to it.

It may have been imprudent of me to blanket an entire culture with a statement like I did, but I remain unapologetic and stand by my opinion. I’ve given Germany a fair chance and simply don’t care for it. They don’t even lift. [/quote]

Those are traits inherent in most cultures, completely dependent on the demographics of where you’re living.

In fairness though, I agree on the racism part but again, you find similar levels in many cultures.

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:Sure thing. I guess it bears some explanation. Here goes:

Fair enough. MY main issue was that I wondered if you actually knew the place. I’m throwing fits whenever people make generalisations about places they haven’t even lived in, especially - sorry - Americans. So I didn’t care about the fact you said something negative about Germany but about a foreign culture.

Now here’s the thing - I’m a native Berliner, though I’ve lived in London at times. What you said - the racism bit in particular, sadly - is often true, depending on the part of the country you’re in. But (BUT!)

• German beer is awesome. And you can easily get Czech and Polish beer, at least where I live. But I don’t care for British ale or American beers in general, so it’s really a matter or taste.
  • I LIFT! (though I’m tiny by tnation standards) I wish more people did though, so you have a point. Jogging is a respected pastime - say that you lift and people look at you like you’ll start flexing your arms and talk about roids any second.[/quote]

Well thank you for not just calling me a cunt like that other guy. Drop me a message if you’re ever near Wiesbaden and I’ll buy you a beer. [/quote]

To be fair, you were complaining about passive aggression. It seems you don’t like the direct approach either. =D
[/quote]

I think I’m being pretty straight forward in everything I say. On the internet politesse is often taken for cowardice.

Ambugation, you near Wiesbaden? And you don’t like “Mainzer Handkaese mit Musik”? That’s a dream food for strength training!

I’ll give you the comments on passive agressiveness and even prejudiced tendencies, but I’d still say that these are vast generalisations. I understand that our own personal experiences determine how we understand a place and its people, but I can’t agree with you that Germans are necessarily racist. There are definitely things that happen here that would never fly in North America, though. It’s a blunt culture. Just out of curiosity, where else have you lived?

And about the food and beer: I wholeheartedly disagree. :slight_smile: A good Leberkaese or Schnitzel is a work of art, and you can’t beat a good Schwarzbier.

Mach’s gut!

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
My mom is directly from West Berlin.

Wasn’t always easy being raised by a heavy-handed German mother.[/quote]

Yeah, but Germans have the best sense of humor ever. My dad is German and he’s the one who introduced me to all of my favorite comedies when I was really young: Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?, Dr. Strangelove, The Producers and of course, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?[/quote]

Hey, you’ve figured out German humour?! Congratulations, it’s still a challenge for me.

Jeez, did this thing get hijacked and taken into a completely different direction than anticipated!

Men make plans, Gods laugh.

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]In10s wrote:
With regards to the need for deoderant, the FRENCH will always take first, second and third place in that event![/quote]

That’s one stereotype I’ve never found to be true (I’m English). The women aren’t hairy either, all very well maintained.

An American girl told me that in the States English guys have a reputation for being smelly, but I’m betting that this is because we are rollicking drunk whenever we hook up with them.
[/quote]

we dont think the British are particularly stinky, but you can tell a brit a mile away by his bad teeth~

[quote]Edgy wrote:
we dont think the British are particularly stinky, but you can tell a brit a mile away by his bad teeth~[/quote]

I hate to say it, but I spent a week in England, and I have a funny story about that. I was with someone I knew there and we were visiting some of her family. There was a little nephew there (maybe 7 or so years old) whom I was introduced to, and the first thing out of his mouth when he met me was “Wow, you have nice teeth.”

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]In10s wrote:

[/quote]

we dont think the British are particularly stinky, but you can tell a brit a mile away by his bad teeth~[/quote]

lol

[quote]kgildner wrote:
Ambugation, you near Wiesbaden? And you don’t like “Mainzer Handkaese mit Musik”? That’s a dream food for strength training!

I’ll give you the comments on passive agressiveness and even prejudiced tendencies, but I’d still say that these are vast generalisations. I understand that our own personal experiences determine how we understand a place and its people, but I can’t agree with you that Germans are necessarily racist. There are definitely things that happen here that would never fly in North America, though. It’s a blunt culture. Just out of curiosity, where else have you lived?

And about the food and beer: I wholeheartedly disagree. :slight_smile: A good Leberkaese or Schnitzel is a work of art, and you can’t beat a good Schwarzbier.

Mach’s gut![/quote]

To each his own concerning food. I’m a just a simple steak and eggs guy, myself. When I go out here, it’s for the Thai food downtown.

Concerning the racism, I can say for my part that I have never been pulled over except with a black person in the vehicle with me, Germans go out of their way to cut black people in line, to degrade them if the opportunity arises, and children here play a game called “Who is afraid of the Black Man?”

The women here are lovely and liberal, though, I will admit that much.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:

I hate to say it, but I spent a week in England, and I have a funny story about that. I was with someone I knew there and we were visiting some of her family. There was a little nephew there (maybe 7 or so years old) whom I was introduced to, and the first thing out of his mouth when he met me was “Wow, you have nice teeth.”[/quote]

Yeah I’ve heard that before. Then again, it’s a bit unnerving when a whole country has exactly the same perfect smile. Liek on Star Trek where they land on a planet where everyone is perfect… you know something’s up :wink:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:

I hate to say it, but I spent a week in England, and I have a funny story about that. I was with someone I knew there and we were visiting some of her family. There was a little nephew there (maybe 7 or so years old) whom I was introduced to, and the first thing out of his mouth when he met me was “Wow, you have nice teeth.”[/quote]

Yeah I’ve heard that before. Then again, it’s a bit unnerving when a whole country has exactly the same perfect smile. Liek on Star Trek where they land on a planet where everyone is perfect… you know something’s up ;)[/quote]

Lol!

I love generalisations! You can always spot an american with those crazy saucer like never blinking eyes, a gob overpopulated with perfect white horse teeth, never ending positivity, weird fat distribution, over use of the word awesome and hoopin n hollerin at every given opportunity like on those fookin talk shows infested with over weight self help addicted women…

Now someone do Ireland…

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Rico Suave wrote:
wow, that totally sucks for you. I’ve been over there multiple times and had the exact opposite reaction to their culture. Where in Germany were you? Maybe because you’re a cunt that they just don’t like you and feed you shitty food. (not that I think you’re a cunt, but ya know, those Germans…)
[/quote]

I don’t get it.[/quote]

as another poster pointed out, sweeping generalizations were made. Its as if I went to Detroit Michigan and based that on all of the USA. He hates the food there when he claims he’s just a “steak and eggs guy”. Well then no shit the food will suck. I don’t think he’s cunt, that was a bad joke.

I agree with the racism. My cousin is engaged to a black woman and lives in Hamburg. I’ve been out with them multiple times and the looks the two get is astonishing. Nothing I’ve ever seen here in North America. They really don’t like their blacks lol.

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:
Lol!

I love generalisations! You can always spot an american with those crazy saucer like never blinking eyes, a gob overpopulated with perfect white horse teeth, never ending positivity, weird fat distribution, over use of the word awesome and hoopin n hollerin at every given opportunity like on those fookin talk shows infested with over weight self help addicted women…

Now someone do Ireland…[/quote]

Um… Foul mouthed, drunken, pale skinned, Catholic, leprechauns named Paddy O’Houlihan or Sheamus O’Shaunessy who say “Top of the mornin’ to ya!” and are quick to start fights.

:smiley:

French people are stuck up assholes that think the world revolves around them and that French is the true international language. Also, as was said, they smell and the women have hairy pits/lips.

The English have horrible fucking teeth and even worse food. Everything outside of London is a desolate shithole. They still call cigarettes “fags”, which makes tons more sense than using the same terms of homosexuals.

American’s are overly P.C. and take the idea of “national pride” way too far and take themselves way to seriously. Their beer tastes like “lukewarm gnats piss” to quote a certain Python. They too think they are the center of the fucking universe.

Australians are loud, obnoxious dickheads that always want to fight and have very little social aptitude. At least they generally have a sense of humour about everything and always understand what a “joke” is, even if it’s incredibly offensive and not all that funny (a joke is still a joke).

Koreans say “Hoh!” all the time, at everything, whether it is surprise, disgust, joy, elatedness, pain or sadness. They are extremely generous and kind but at the same time, they’re “asian”, so you know.

What am I missing.
BTW I was born and raised in one country (lived there from 0-18) and then spent the next 5 years in a different country before moving to where I currently live (holding permanent residence with a wife and child, both born in this 3rd country). I hold dual citizenship in the first 2 countries. All 3 of these countries are on this list.
I guess what I am saying is that stereotypes are ludicrous and idiotic but at the same time they are very true and accurate. Get it.

EDIT: My profile says Colorado, US. So that cover is blown. For the record though, I really fucking dislike Colorado and am moving out of state next week after 3 years here. So, thats probably the only true part of this entire post (everybody in CO hates me because I’ll openly tell them that this place sucks balls.) I have lots of (black) friends.

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:
Now someone do Ireland…[/quote]

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Is this the thread where we say something nice about Germany?
[/quote]

Porsche and the Autobahn