Depressed Germans are Funny

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:
I try not to use the word “hate” when talking about anything other than food, but I really really very strongly dislike Germans and German culture. [/quote]

WTF?

Would you please care to explain yourself?[/quote]

Sure thing. I guess it bears some explanation. Here goes:

I’ve lived in Germany for a bit over a year now. I have spent significant time in foreign countries to include Singapore, Indonesia, and the UAE. I was very much looking forward to living here. I heard that the Germans were reticent, generally welcoming in a gruff sort of way, enjoy their beer and are open about sex. It seemed like it would be my kind of place.

Well, setting aside certain cultural differences that I just disagree with (deodorant isn’t as popular here as it should be) there are things I just can’t forgive. First and foremost, racism is prominent and unabashed. Most of the black soldiers in my unit don’t go out anymore, because the police hassle them, and the bar scene gets unfriendly very quickly.

Secondly, there’s no backbone to the people here. Nothing is done in a confrontational manner, everything is passive aggressive. This manifests in the bureaucratic aspects of the government as well as in social interactions between the people. Lastly, and I feel bad complaining about this, but I have to get it out, the food is horrible. Everything is fried pork and cheese. The beer is extremely overrated as well. There’s very little variety to it.

It may have been imprudent of me to blanket an entire culture with a statement like I did, but I remain unapologetic and stand by my opinion. I’ve given Germany a fair chance and simply don’t care for it. They don’t even lift. [/quote]

wow, that totally sucks for you. I’ve been over there multiple times and had the exact opposite reaction to their culture. Where in Germany were you? Maybe because you’re a cunt that they just don’t like you and feed you shitty food. (not that I think you’re a cunt, but ya know, those Germans…)

Wait a minute. We gave the world Adolf. Give us some credit.

I don’t feel any need to defend it, but I thought that the food and beer quality is generally appreciated by foreigners. One thing that sucks about the Germany imo is that people often have a stick up their ass and are not all that friendly to strangers.

[quote]Edgy wrote:
is the whole of the German population acutally a culture?

as far as I know, the northern European culture would be the same as the german culture, in regards to art, history, food, lifestyle.

I am not so sure that you meant to use the word culture there.

sorry Dwarfie, and I am sure that you got your fill of Schnitzel when you were young too~[/quote]

Na, thats not true.

There is a very distinct German culture, especially when it comes to music, literature and philosophy.

If you look at the history of the German unification there was always a very distinct notion that some people are German while others are not.

While some Skandinavian countries and countries like the Netherlands and Denmark may resemble Germany in a lot of ways they only do so because they are in Germanies cultural orbit.

[quote]Rico Suave wrote:
wow, that totally sucks for you. I’ve been over there multiple times and had the exact opposite reaction to their culture. Where in Germany were you? Maybe because you’re a cunt that they just don’t like you and feed you shitty food. (not that I think you’re a cunt, but ya know, those Germans…)
[/quote]

I don’t get it.

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:
I try not to use the word “hate” when talking about anything other than food, but I really really very strongly dislike Germans and German culture. [/quote]

WTF?

I’ve lived in Germany for a bit over a year now. I have spent significant time in foreign countries to include Singapore, Indonesia, and the UAE. I was very much looking forward to living here. I heard that the Germans were reticent, generally welcoming in a gruff sort of way, enjoy their beer and are open about sex. It seemed like it would be my kind of place.

Well, setting aside certain cultural differences that I just disagree with (deodorant isn’t as popular here as it should be) there are things I just can’t forgive. First and foremost, racism is prominent and unabashed. Most of the black soldiers in my unit don’t go out anymore, because the police hassle them, and the bar scene gets unfriendly very quickly.

Secondly, there’s no backbone to the people here. Nothing is done in a confrontational manner, everything is passive aggressive. This manifests in the bureaucratic aspects of the government as well as in social interactions between the people. Lastly, and I feel bad complaining about this, but I have to get it out, the food is horrible. Everything is fried pork and cheese. The beer is extremely overrated as well. There’s very little variety to it.

It may have been imprudent of me to blanket an entire culture with a statement like I did, but I remain unapologetic and stand by my opinion. I’ve given Germany a fair chance and simply don’t care for it. They don’t even lift. [/quote]

Yeah well, that is not too far off the mark either.

Just want to add that the higher you climb in the social strata the more racism becomes a very, very big no-no.

Same with anti semitism , those people do not hide it well, they do not even think it and have a visceral reaction to it.

You gotta keep these people busy or else they get into some pretty bad habits… :wink:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:Sure thing. I guess it bears some explanation. Here goes:

Fair enough. MY main issue was that I wondered if you actually knew the place. I’m throwing fits whenever people make generalisations about places they haven’t even lived in, especially - sorry - Americans. So I didn’t care about the fact you said something negative about Germany but about a foreign culture.

Now here’s the thing - I’m a native Berliner, though I’ve lived in London at times. What you said - the racism bit in particular, sadly - is often true, depending on the part of the country you’re in. But (BUT!)

• German beer is awesome. And you can easily get Czech and Polish beer, at least where I live. But I don’t care for British ale or American beers in general, so it’s really a matter or taste.
  • I LIFT! (though I’m tiny by tnation standards) I wish more people did though, so you have a point. Jogging is a respected pastime - say that you lift and people look at you like you’ll start flexing your arms and talk about roids any second.

Damn. Then I guess I should cancel my trip to Oktoberfest??

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:Sure thing. I guess it bears some explanation. Here goes:

Fair enough. MY main issue was that I wondered if you actually knew the place. I’m throwing fits whenever people make generalisations about places they haven’t even lived in, especially - sorry - Americans. So I didn’t care about the fact you said something negative about Germany but about a foreign culture.

Now here’s the thing - I’m a native Berliner, though I’ve lived in London at times. What you said - the racism bit in particular, sadly - is often true, depending on the part of the country you’re in. But (BUT!)

• German beer is awesome. And you can easily get Czech and Polish beer, at least where I live. But I don’t care for British ale or American beers in general, so it’s really a matter or taste.
  • I LIFT! (though I’m tiny by tnation standards) I wish more people did though, so you have a point. Jogging is a respected pastime - say that you lift and people look at you like you’ll start flexing your arms and talk about roids any second.[/quote]

Well thank you for not just calling me a cunt like that other guy. Drop me a message if you’re ever near Wiesbaden and I’ll buy you a beer.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Rico Suave wrote:

[/quote]

I don’t get it.[/quote]

Yeah, I don’t get this guy either. Serves me right for trying to present a thoughtful opinion on the internet.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:

as far as I know, the northern European culture would be the same as the german culture, in regards to art, history, food, lifestyle.

sorry Dwarfie, and I am sure that you got your fill of Schnitzel when you were young too~[/quote]

Na, thats not true.

There is a very distinct German culture, especially when it comes to music, literature and philosophy.

If you look at the history of the German unification there was always a very distinct notion that some people are German while others are not.

While some Skandinavian countries and countries like the Netherlands and Denmark may resemble Germany in a lot of ways they only do so because they are in Germanies cultural orbit. [/quote]

yeah, you’re probably right…them Germans are a kooky bunch!

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

WTF?

Interesting that you mentioned that most of the black guys in your unit prefer to stay in. The racism is that bad? I thought black Americans encountered less racism there than in the U.S. In fact, I thought they would be placed on pedestals and worshipped largely because of the universal “coolness factor” associated with urban/hip hop music and culture. When I hear Germany and racism I usually associate it with Turks and other Muslim immigrants. I thought American blacks would be immune to this.

With respect to no one lifting, that’s surprising also. Aren’t the Germans renowned for their emphasis on physical fitness/culture? They always achieve a big medal count at the Olympics. Alot of the top IFBB pros have been German guys in the last decade (Dennis Wolf, Gunther Schlierkamp, Markus Ruhl etc…).

With regards to the need for deodorant, the FRENCH will always take first, second and third place in that event!

[quote]In10s wrote:
With regards to the need for deoderant, the FRENCH will always take first, second and third place in that event![/quote]

the french are a stinky bunch, no doubt. this is a good point~

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:

Na, thats not true.

While some Skandinavian countries and countries like the Netherlands and Denmark may resemble Germany in a lot of ways they only do so because they are in Germanies cultural orbit. [/quote]

yeah, you’re probably right…them Germans are a kooky bunch![/quote]

Well, they just need to be productively employed or else they look at you funny and build ovens.

[quote]orion wrote:
Well, they just need to be productively employed or else they look at you funny and build ovens.
[/quote]

yeah, those crazy Germans!

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

• I LIFT! (though I’m tiny by tnation standards) I wish more people did though, so you have a point. Jogging is a respected pastime - say that you lift and people look at you like you’ll start flexing your arms and talk about roids any second.[/quote]

Well thank you for not just calling me a cunt like that other guy. Drop me a message if you’re ever near Wiesbaden and I’ll buy you a beer. [/quote]

To be fair, you were complaining about passive aggression. It seems you don’t like the direct approach either. =D

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
My mom is directly from West Berlin.

Wasn’t always easy being raised by a heavy-handed German mother.[/quote]

Yeah, but Germans have the best sense of humor ever. My dad is German and he’s the one who introduced me to all of my favorite comedies when I was really young: Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?, Dr. Strangelove, The Producers and of course, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:

Na, thats not true.

yeah, you’re probably right…them Germans are a kooky bunch![/quote]

I was always under the impression that there is still, even now, a very distinct difference in West and East German cultures. I suppose being on opposite sides of a wall for 30 years can have that sort of an effect.

Is this the thread where we say something nice about Germany?

My German teacher back in middle school was hot as fuck.

There. Thats as good a thing as I can think of.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Is this the thread where we say something nice about Germany?

My German teacher back in middle school was hot as fuck.

There. Thats as good a thing as I can think of.
[/quote]

At least Germany isn’t France.