Depressed From Eggs

Does anyone else start to feel bad from eating too many eggs? They almost seem to make me slightly depressed for some reason. Everytime I stop eating them, I start feeling good again. But I’m not sure if this is just in my head. Does anyone else experience this?

Judging by your avatar, everything is in your head.

1 Like

Wow, can’t say I’ve had that experience. I do notice that after I eat an omlet of 8 whites and 3 whole eggs with onion and potato, I feel hungry 30 minutes later.

Don’t worry!! We’ve got plenty of purple pills for you!

Maybe it’s not the eggs.Maybe it’s something else?

If you are suddenly increasing your protein and fat intake in a really dramatic intake, then this can be a bit of a pain. Once I went from eating ~8 egg whites and a yolk or two a meal to a dozen eggs and a half-dozen yolks a meal. The sudden load of protein and sat fat does a number on your gut, and left me feeling sort of dizzy once or twice. If you were using eggs to drastically increase protein and sat fat intake, try doing just a little more gradually, and that might be better.

If it’s just eggs, you’ve got me.

I took eggs out and feel much better. Eggs have seemed to cause this almost half a dozen times over the last 6 months of experimenting with them. Everytime I reintroduce them, I start feeling like this.

Now, I am not exactly the most emotionally stable person in the world; that is one of the reasons I lift weights. But the eggs seriously seem to bring me down into the shitter harder than almost anything. I do not know why. I am assuming egg allergy of some sort.

Do a search for “raw eggs biotin”. Eating eggs raw or undercooked can lead to a biotin deficiency, one of the symptoms of which is depression.

It might help if you define “too many eggs.”

How many eggs are you talking about?

It’s because you feel bad that the poor little chicky never got a chance at life…murderer.

Thats weird…I eat at least 21 eggs, with yolk, a week sometimes upwards to 42. I feel great ever since I dumped the cereal/other sugar carb option for eggs for breakfast…

Echo what was said about cooking them well. I fry the crap out of my eggs. There practically crispy. Forget biotin definency - How bout salmonella!

You said you’re not the most emotional stable person in the world, you should see a doctor, or at least some sort of help.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
You said you’re not the most emotional stable person in the world, you should see a doctor, or at least some sort of help.[/quote]

Are you just trolling now? My life is under control. I am following my ambitions and extremely successful in life. If this ever ceases to be the case, I will see a doctor.

As far as amount consumed, about 20/day. Biotin deficiency, not likely. If I go raw, I start taking biotin supplements, and the length of time required to induce my “omg I feel like crap” state is less than studies I have read require for biotin deficiency to “accumulate.”

I’ve gotten some PMs with people saying they’ve experienced the same thing, so I know I’m not alone. As I said, I stopped consuming eggs, and I feel good again. Just weird.

Sorry, I know this is an old post, in reference to your post, there has been a well documented link between choline and depressed mood.

Eggs are unfortunately, one of the highest sources of dietary choline, as are many other animal based and animal derived products. Some legumes also contain high amounts of choline too, but to a lesser extent.

Choline is an essential nutrient, but unfortunately an over abundance of dietary choline can effect mood stability, just as a deficiency in choline has also been linked to memory/mood problems.

The yolk contains the highest amount of choline, and the egg whites contain only a fraction.

There has been some anecdotal online reports from individuals who can continue consuming
hole eggs in their diet, if they supplement with inositol. It seems to balance or negate the mood depressing effects of choline.

Here is a reference and source of information that may elucidate further on the choline and depression theory:

Potential Root Cause of Depression Discovered by NARSAD Grantee | Brain & Behavior Research Foundation