T Nation

Denver Pit Bull Ban

DENVER - Denver’s animal control will once again enforce a ban on pit bulls beginning Monday. The ban was temporarily suspended in Denver last year.

Animal control officials estimate that at least 200 pit bull may now be living illegally in the city.

Written notices have been sent to all known owners informing them that the dogs will need to be relocated outside Denver.

Dogs caught in the city will be impounded.

(Copyright by KUSA-TV, All Rights Reserved

There was a story in the paper this weekend about a little girl that got killed by the family’s malnourished and neglected Huskies. Good thing pit bulls are banned though, since those are the only dogs that randomly kill little kids and maul people for no reason whatsoever.

Steve, I give a big amen to what you just said.
This is just a political band aid, and not an attempt to solve the real problem at hand.

I have had a pitbull for 7 years now, with no problems, I treat her right and take very good care of her.
It is a social status symbol in some of these inner city neighborhoods to have vicious dog’s, nike featured two pitbulls fighting in one of it’s ads until they were forced to take it off the air. The ad was clearly aimed at young inner city men.
Since these government scumbags don’t have the brains or the balls to take an actual stand on problems in the inner city, they make shit like this up.

TC wrote an awesome Atomic Dog on this a couple of years ago. They tried the same thing in france and wound up with a bunch of “killer monkeys” going after each other.
Scumbags want to kill other scumbags, and if it isn’t pitbulls, they will use snakes, monkey’s, or rotties or guns.

Luckily in New jersey we have laws against such bullshit bans.
Being a law abiding citizen who deeply cares for his pet, I think I would lose it if one day a cop came to my house and told me I had to “get rid” of my dog because of some stupid law. My dog is a part of my family and not just some piece of shit that I could just “get rid” of.

Just found this in the paper in Chicago, it made me cringe:

Pit bull mauls girl, 3, on Northwest Side

Published May 9, 2005

A 3-year-old girl was mauled Sunday by a 60-pound pit bull while trying to buy candy on the Northwest Side, officials said.

The incident occurred at 3 p.m. in the 1600 block of North Moody Avenue, where the dog owner ran a candy shop, said Animal Control Officer Brad Block. As the girl approached the home, the dog attacked her, “grabbed her in the face and dragged her 20 feet down the sidewalk,” Block said.

Officers from the city’s Department of Animal Care and Control impounded the dog, which was euthanized. The owner was cited for failure to restrain the dog, Block said.

The girl was at Children’s Memorial Hospital, which declined to disclose her condition.

Yet another story from last week:
Pit bull kills Yorkie at store

It took just one bite, and Pastina was dead.

Pastina, a Yorkshire terrier puppy owned for two weeks by Sue Belmonte, was lounging at Belmonte?s feet April 26 while the duo waited in line at a veterinary clinic inside the Arlington Heights PetSmart.

Dakota, an American Staffordshire Terrier, or pit bull, also was waiting.

According to the Arlington Heights animal warden?s report, Dakota?s owner was handing his leash over to a store employee and the pit bull got loose in the transfer. And immediately, Belmonte said, he made a beeline for Pastina.

?He just grabbed my dog in his mouth,? she said. And the little dog was dead.

Dakota?s owner was apologetic but told Belmonte she couldn?t afford to replace Pastina.

When the managers at PetSmart told her they also were not liable, Belmonte wrote to corporate headquarters.

A week later, on Tuesday, Belmonte said the PetSmart company called her and offered to pay $1,200 for the identical Pastina II she had just purchased. They added, she said, that they would not take responsibility for the incident.

?I?m not aware of anything like this having occurred before,? said Jennifer Pflugfelder, a spokeswoman for PetSmart. ?We?re just sad for (Belmonte) and just want to help her out.?

Arlington Heights police Sgt. Jerry Lehnert said Dakota?s owner was not ticketed because the dog had received all the appropriate shots.

?The dog just has to be observed by the dog owner,? Lehnert said. ?It?s an issue between the PetSmart people and the dog owners.?

Belmonte said she did not request Dakota be destroyed but wanted to warn other customers.

Pflugfelder agrees the incident is a good reminder to all pet owners to take care that their animals are on a leash any time they?re out in public.

PetSmart in Schaumburg had to deal with a similar incident in 2001, when a pit bull attacked a Labrador in the parking lot.

The Labrador?s owner, Kathryn Ruins, asked PetSmart to ban certain types of dogs, require them to wear muzzles or no longer allow pets in the store.

PetSmart corporate officials said they would not change their policy as long as dogs were kept on leashes and watched over by their owners. Pflugfelder said the policy is clearly posted at all their stores.

This is more BS legislation to protect people from themselves.

It doesn’t matter if it’s a pitbull, doberman, or Mastif or a poodle for that matter…Dogs do what they are brought up to do.

Fact of the matter is that any idiot can buy a dog and treat it to act viciously.

Don’t blame the breed, blame the owners.

Maybe legislation over the registration and ownership of the dog should be required. Electronic IDs and registration like guns and serial numbers. AT least that we people will know they are liable for their dogs actions.

Most politicians are gutless wonders!

Banning all Pitbulls makes no more sense than banning all guns because some idiot used a gun in a holdup. A Dog is only going to be as good, or bad as you treat him. I say leave the dogs alone and give the owners of any dog who has been mistreated some jail time!

I agree that we should blame the owners and not necessarily the breed. I love all dogs, and feel terrible that some dogs will likely be euthanized b/c of this ban. However, we can’t ban the owners. Given a choice, I’m sure Denver residents would much prefer to kick all the owners of vicious pit bulls out of the city rather than punish dogs that may or may not be vicious.

I do feel strongly though that municipalities should have the right to ban pit bulls if they feel it is necessary. I know pit bulls can be wonderful dogs. In college, I actually found one roaming the streets and I rescued him. He was as gentle as any lab could ever be. His owners actually found him while I was taking him for a jog, so I had to give him back.

Unfortunately however, pit bulls do have all the physical tools to do terrible damage to people and other dogs if they are out of control. I know the old argument that beagles bite too, perhaps even more often than pit bulls. That is very true, but the damage they do is negligible. Very few other types of dogs can inflict the type of damages in a split second that pit bulls can.

If a municipality has multiple bad experiences with pit bulls, it is only natural for them to single out the breed and ban it. I hope that responsible owners, like the ones typing on this board, recognize the positive effects they can have by properly socializing their pit bulls and proving to people that the dogs can in fact be wonderful, gentle companions.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

Banning all Pitbulls makes no more sense than banning all guns because some idiot used a gun in a holdup. A Dog is only going to be as good, or bad as you treat him. I say leave the dogs alone and give the owners of any dog who has been mistreated some jail time![/quote]

AMEN!!! Discipline the owners/parents!

know i dont understand why they would ban a pit bull. the american pitbull is one of the most faithful dogs on this planet. they are not mean naturally to humans. they do pick fights with other animals. but not mean to humans actually most pitbulls are not even good gaurd dogs becouse they treat strangers as long lost friends until they prove other wise. i just dont understand why ban a breed of dog that use to be the countrys choice of dog back in world war two they used them as mascots as the american dog. i mean look at little rascals that dog is an american pitbull. does he look mean. ihave two pitbulls and they are the most calm loving dogs i have owned. i have a chow that is mean as hell.you cant even walk by it with out it attacking.

This is just plain shameful. Human nature at its ugliest.

I have a pit/lab mix and she is the best dog I have ever had. Two days ago, on 5/9/05, I was out hiking with my girlfriend and my dog in a wooded area populated mostly by hikers, mtn.bikers, and horse riders. A lady comes along on horseback with two german sheppard/collie mix running next to her(un leashed). As soon as she got within 30 yds, her dogs take off straight for us. My G.F. was holding our dog, who was getting wound up to protect. I got prety wound up too because I didn’t want my girl or dog to get hurt. I met their charge about 10 feet from where my girl and dog were holding their ground, and one peeled off to go for my dog while one came at me directly. I charged it and it ran back to it’s owner on the horse, and the other took off up the path, having been backed down by my puppy wuppy. That was a damn close call. If it had come down to the fur flying, I would have ripped up both of those dogs just to keep my dog out of it.

So, the lady on horseback gets close enough to talk and explains to me that her dogs were just being protective because someone had scared them about a week ago. Then she looks at my pup and says “Oh is that a pit bull? She has a nice coat.Good thing she’s on a leash!”.

Stupid lady had no clue that the whole confrontation was her fault.

[quote]acurals87 wrote:
know i dont understand why they would ban a pit bull. the american pitbull is one of the most faithful dogs on this planet. they are not mean naturally to humans. they do pick fights with other animals. but not mean to humans actually most pitbulls are not even good gaurd dogs becouse they treat strangers as long lost friends until they prove other wise. i just dont understand why ban a breed of dog that use to be the countrys choice of dog back in world war two they used them as mascots as the american dog. i mean look at little rascals that dog is an american pitbull. does he look mean. ihave two pitbulls and they are the most calm loving dogs i have owned. i have a chow that is mean as hell.you cant even walk by it with out it attacking.[/quote]

That is quite possibly the most incoherent response ever produced in one of these forums.

I don’t live inside the Denver city limits, and this is one of the MANY police-state-type laws that makes me happy I don’t.

sorry i was have asleep. i am just saying if anyone has had any experience with pitbulls they would understand they are not mean to ppl at all unless they have been beaten or abbandoned. go to www.theworkingpitbull.com and do some research on the animal and you would understand.

In Cities like Detroit and NYC the bulls are used for fighting, no not all of them, but there are plenty of illegal rings all over the country.

Does Denver have a problem with dog-fights?

I took care of one of my co-workers Pitt Bulls for a week and totally enjoyed the experience spending time with her. She was affectionate, even tempered, but yet very playful and energetic even though she’s 8 years old. She was a little defensive of her territory when I brought my Husky over, but that’s to be expected I think. Nothing out of the ordinary.

It is a shame, however, that PB’s are used for status symbols or as an extension of an attitude. A meth dealer isn’t going to have a springer spainiel as his pet, etc. That’s where the danger of the animal comes into play. There’s no getting around it, PB’s have steel trap jaws, heavier than I’ve experienced on any other breed, and when it’s improperly nourished and cared for, problems can arise such as those listed in the articles above.

Definitely a sad situation.

GAINER

It’s silly. Plain silly and an extreme extension of PC.

Hopefully enough pit bll owners can oppose it and do something about it.

All dogs are protective and that’s why we love them. My German Shepherd mauled another dog that was barking at my son last year. When the other dog snapped at him my shepherd tore him up. He’s 8 yrs. old and I have never even seen

[quote]elevationgain wrote:

Does Denver have a problem with dog-fights?
[/quote]
No, but it has several other noted problems, mostly in the form of law makers and government officials…

[quote]ZEB wrote:

Banning all Pitbulls makes no more sense than banning all guns because some idiot used a gun in a holdup. A Dog is only going to be as good, or bad as you treat him. I say leave the dogs alone and give the owners of any dog who has been mistreated some jail time![/quote]

It’s about damn time they got these evil assault dogs off the streets! Actually, I agree with you, ZEB, but the comparison of dogs to guns is a bit specious ONLY in that guns are totally inanimate (but yes, both are indeed the responsibility of their owners). Also, once you jail the owner, what do you do with the dog? But then again, once you ban the dog, what do you do with the dog…ahhh never mind! Back to work…

I wish the people of denver would stand up and fight for what is right. I myself have a pitbull and she is the greatest dog in the world.(She rolls over cats). We also have two other dogs and our beagle/border collie mix is the one we worry about when introducing them to other dogs. She would do any damage but she is a *itch. I do know that if someone tried to take my dog away from me I would go out with a fight. They would have to kill me before they got to her.

I am a firm believer that they should ban stupid people form owing or breeding pitbulls. These breed does take alot more work and love then most. But most idiots that own them don’t even research them or learn about their behavor to be able to tell an aggressive pit to a nice pit. They need to make alaw that if you want to own a pit you must take a test and have be examined on how you and your family act with the dog.

People believe what they read with little critical thought.

Personally, I think it’s the aggressive name, “pit bull”. Maybe if they renamed them “hug cows” people would stop using them for fights and every Little Suzy would have one.