T Nation

Density + Volume

I know Density training is Coach Staaley's baby, but I was hoping you could give me your take on it.

I was doing the Heavy Singles training for 3 months, and recently swtitched to the "opposite Training"...kind of.

I switched to about 70% of my 1RM with my big lift, and am hitting 5 reps 10 times, mixed in with some ab work and cardio.

A1) I arm overhead Farmers Walk x 30sec
A2) Big Lift (Dips, Hip Thrust, Back Squat & High Pull) x 5 reps
A3) Jumps with ankle bands and a 12lb weight vest x 30 sec

I run through that 10 times for time

Does anything pop out at you that I can tweak to get more out of my training?

Thanks coach

[quote]Carhart531 wrote:
I know Density training is Coach Staaley’s baby, but I was hoping you could give me your take on it.

I was doing the Heavy Singles training for 3 months, and recently swtitched to the “opposite Training”…kind of.

I switched to about 70% of my 1RM with my big lift, and am hitting 5 reps 10 times, mixed in with some ab work and cardio.

A1) I arm overhead Farmers Walk x 30sec
A2) Big Lift (Dips, Hip Thrust, Back Squat & High Pull) x 5 reps
A3) Jumps with ankle bands and a 12lb weight vest x 30 sec

I run through that 10 times for time

Does anything pop out at you that I can tweak to get more out of my training?

Thanks coach [/quote]

1. Keep at least some heavy work in, even if it’s low volume… something like 3 x 3 of a big lift at the beginning of the workout

2. Do not use ankle weights for jumps, that’s dumb and ineffective. Why? Because they do not provide much resistance since by the time they come into play (last inch of ankle extension) the main movers (quads, glutes, hams) have already done the job… all the ankle weights do really is “pull your body down” (that’s not what really happens but I’m trying to use an image here) while the body is violently going up… in other words the body is already going at a very high velocity upward … kinda like having an anchor breaking your movement. It will not make the jumping muscles more powerful and will increase the risk of ankle and knee problems. If you want to use more loading either use a bigger vest or a barbell/DB or KB

3. I don’t like doing the big lift right after you’ve done the carries. If you want to do metcon, do metcon, if you want to do strength do strength. Don’t blend both.

BTW I deeply respect Charles… but he didn’t invent density training. In the 50s Vince Gironda focused almost excusively on density work when training bodybuilders… normally recommending as little as 15 seconds of rest between sets during most workouts (up to 30 on bigger movements) and using schemes such as 8x8, 6x6, 10x10, 15x4, etc.

In the strength world Ladislav Pataki (shot put coach) recommended heavy work for 3-4 reps, getting as many sets as possible in a prescribed time frame, etc.

I was doing the carries to pre activate the core… light weight

Would palloff presses be a better substitute?

[quote]Carhart531 wrote:
I was doing the carries to pre activate the core… light weight

Would palloff presses be a better substitute?[/quote]

Using carries to activate the core and going light is kinda like taking the Ferarri to drive 500 yards to the convenience store.

I’m not a “core activator” guy… personally I see more drawbacks by fatiguing it and hurting the main movement. If you want to use palloff press that’s fine. I’m not someone who likes these kinda things but I see no problem in using them.