T Nation

Dense Bones?

I am 5’11", 210 pounds, but I look much skinnier. Technically, I should be either grossly overweight, or fairly muscular, and i am neither. This seems to be common in my family. I once heard it attributed to more densely packed bone marrow in the larger bones of the body, an inherited trait. If you think this is ridiculous, please don’t make a joke about my skull being the only dense bone in my body, I’m sensitive about my stupidity. But is there any other way to account for that hidden weight?

Yeah, it could be dense bones. Do you also have long limbs? That could be another factor. High bone density would actually be a good thing, as it often correlates with a high potential for muscle mass.

Well not to say you have a dense skull, but I have a pretty big head for my body. Not too big for my body, but close, and I definitely feel like it makes everything else look smaller in relation. I could be a trick of the eye. You should post a pic.

I have a similar issue. I think it must be a bone thing, how large are your wrists? I read a fairly dubious article once detailing how if you can’t fit your thumb and forefinger around your wrist, then you have an endomorphic skeletal structure… I’m not sure how far to read into that one though. Anyway, I can’t do this with my wrists, and I’m a lot heavier than I look (sucks).

Hope that helped…

Dave

[quote]Tulkastaldo wrote:
I am 5’11", 210 pounds, but I look much skinnier. [/quote]

To whom? We’d need a pic first to determine whether your question is based on flawed assumptions.

When I broke my leg a year and a half ago the doc put up the X-Ray and said
"Wow, you have the densest bones I’ve ever seen an x-ray of. With a break on the fibula like this you should have broken your tibia either here, here or here. . . but you didn’t.

This is really incredible, I’m going to have to show this x-ray to some other people.

Why do you think you have such dense bones?"

I said it might have something to do with the high impact sports I’ve done in my life like Judo, Gymnastics, and Trials riding. . . or the 600lbs squat I have. . .

STU

I have the same body type. I can’t fit my thumb and forefinger around my wrists. My wrists are almost 8". No matter how lean I am, I never have separation. I usually have to lift up my shirt and show my abs to prove I’m not fat.

But the bright side is that injuries occur way less frequently than smaller jointed bodybuilders. Also you are likely to achieve 20"+ arms since you have the frame to support that muscle. A small boned guy will never get to 20" arms without tons of roids (Although his arms will always look better dammit!)

[quote]Dave_ wrote:
I have a similar issue. I think it must be a bone thing, how large are your wrists? I read a fairly dubious article once detailing how if you can’t fit your thumb and forefinger around your wrist, then you have an endomorphic skeletal structure… I’m not sure how far to read into that one though. Anyway, I can’t do this with my wrists, and I’m a lot heavier than I look (sucks).

Hope that helped…

Dave

[/quote]

hmmm. Just tried it, and my thumb and forefinger fit tightly around my wrist. The suggestion about high impact sports creating denser bones is an interesting one. My parents are dairy farmers, which means a lot of shoveling, lifting and such, followed by large amounts of unpasteurized milk for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

maybe my family has whatever the opposite of osteoporosis is?

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Tulkastaldo wrote:
I am 5’11", 210 pounds, but I look much skinnier.

To whom? We’d need a pic first to determine whether your question is based on flawed assumptions.[/quote]

Exactly. At 210lbs (in that picture where I’m kneeling from 2001 I weighed about the same at the same height) I was not “skinny”. Judging by many of the pictures on this site, there are a lot of people who have a distorted body image.

Maybe most of your body weight is in your legs…or maybe you aren’t that “skinny”.

I’m 5’ 8" and even when I looked like a toothpick I weighed 165 lbs. Today it’s 240-plus pounds with high BF, in the teens, maybe 20. As for the grab-your-wrist test, I’ve never gotten my thumb and MIDDLE finger around my wrist, then or now. I do have short, stubby fingers. My feet are size 11 wide, calves 18", thighs 28", etc.

At the doctor’s office more than once I’ve had a nurse ask me to step off the scale and then back on. She had a puzzled expression on her face but said nothing. Maybe there is something to the “endomorphic” bone structure theory?