T Nation

Dems Refuse Fox Debate

"In case you missed this profile in Democrat machismo, the Democratic presidential candidates are refusing to participate in a debate hosted by Fox News Channel because the hosts are “biased.” But they’ll face down Mahmoud Ahmadinejad!

At this, even Hillary Clinton was thinking, “Come on, guys ? let’s grow a pair.”

http://www.anncoulter.com/cgi-local/welcome.cgi

The Dems are afraid of Brit Hume, but THEY’LL take care of the Middle East!
ROFLMAO!

Are you still posting claptrap like this?

You can’t blame people for not trusting FOX to act like a responsible news organization.

It would probably make sense for it to be boycotted completely…

[quote]vroom wrote:
Are you still posting claptrap like this?

You can’t blame people for not trusting FOX to act like a responsible news organization.

It would probably make sense for it to be boycotted completely…[/quote]

It’s more like the Dems won’t debate unless they have home field advantage.

What do they think FOX is going to do, throw eggs at them? Ask them trick questions like “is this the first time you have been pregnant?” Damn, these are people running for the office of the President of the United States and they are affraid of Fox?

Yes, this makes no sense to me. This is a perfect opportunity to show strength.

So what if the questions were tough? (I suspect the format wouldn’t be that different than any other debate, to be frank)

But what are they afraid of? I think answering hard questions is what candidates should do. And, this is a perfect opportunity to “show up” all the dummies at FOX - finally put them in their place.

Why shrink from the challenge?

You guys are pretty naive if you think it is merely about having to answer questions…

[quote]vroom wrote:
You guys are pretty naive if you think it is merely about having to answer questions…[/quote]

A moderator firing questions - that is the format every time.

What else would it be other than asking questions?

Instead of leaving statements with an empty elipsis, you should explain what exactly will happen beyond answering questions.

[quote]vroom wrote:
You guys are pretty naive if you think it is merely about having to answer questions…[/quote]

…what else is it about? Please elaborate.

This is exactly what dislike about the current Dems, though I can understand them not wanting to be on FOX. It’s not like many GOP candidates are lining up to be on Colbert or the Daily Show.

But still, Clinton (Bill) took FOX on and killed em’. A great moment for us Dems.

It’s sad they’re not even making an attempt.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
vroom wrote:
You guys are pretty naive if you think it is merely about having to answer questions…

A moderator firing questions - that is the format every time.

What else would it be other than asking questions?

Instead of leaving statements with an empty elipsis, you should explain what exactly will happen beyond answering questions.[/quote]

Well it’s also about what clips FOX will use when showing a summery of the debate. They will do what they always do, and show clips completely out of context. It’s alright when comedians do it, but FOX is a real news station. We should expect better. CNN is just as bad with GOP clips, for the record.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Well it’s also about what clips FOX will use when showing a summery of the debate. They will do what they always do, and show clips completely out of context. It’s alright when comedians do it, but FOX is a real news station. We should expect better. CNN is just as bad with GOP clips, for the record.[/quote]

FOX is going to do that regardless of what station they debate on.

They truly have nothing to lose by debating on FOX, and I think it does make them a little silly by running and hiding from a cable news channel.

Using ann coulter as a reference is lose by default btw. Someone got to learn that soon.

If Ann brings up a valid point, that people who’re too cowardly to face tough questions in a Fox-hosted debate have no business being in charge, she should be heard.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:

Well it’s also about what clips FOX will use when showing a summery of the debate. They will do what they always do, and show clips completely out of context. It’s alright when comedians do it, but FOX is a real news station. We should expect better. CNN is just as bad with GOP clips, for the record.[/quote]

If this be true about the clips, isn’t that what they will face in a general election campaign?

Any Democract worthy of the United States Presidency should be saying “I can’t wait to get in there and tear up those right-wing hacks while America is watching.” Someone with Presidential mettle would be doing that.

And besides - how hard could it be? Democrats are the really bright Enlightened-types, and the hacks at FOX are paleolithic knuckledraggers (we hear that here all the time).

Wouldn’t it be a cakewalk to get up there and make short work of the FOX neanderthals?

I understand your disappointment - I am disappointed as well. On this, I agree with Coulter, it turns out: if the Democratic candidates are unwilling to face the challenge of a FOX moderator, how will they act across the table from the Iranian maniac?

I may not ordinarily vote Democrat - but I may have a Democratic president come 2008 - and I deserve to know how they can handle the job. That is true of any candidate.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
Beowolf wrote:

Well it’s also about what clips FOX will use when showing a summery of the debate. They will do what they always do, and show clips completely out of context. It’s alright when comedians do it, but FOX is a real news station. We should expect better. CNN is just as bad with GOP clips, for the record.

If this be true about the clips, isn’t that what they will face in a general election campaign?

Any Democract worthy of the United States Presidency should be saying “I can’t wait to get in there and tear up those right-wing hacks while America is watching.” Someone with Presidential mettle would be doing that.

And besides - how hard could it be? Democrats are the really bright Enlightened-types, and the hacks at FOX are paleolithic knuckledraggers (we hear that here all the time).

Wouldn’t it be a cakewalk to get up there and make short work of the FOX neanderthals?

I understand your disappointment - I am disappointed as well. On this, I agree with Coulter, it turns out: if the Democratic candidates are unwilling to face the challenge of a FOX moderator, how will they act across the table from the Iranian maniac?

I may not ordinarily vote Democrat - but I may have a Democratic president come 2008 - and I deserve to know how they can handle the job. That is true of any candidate.[/quote]

This is really just common sense as Ann actually knows. If 88 percent of fox viewers supported Bush in the last election (more than any other demographic) then logically there is absolutely ZERO point in having debates on FOx. A canidate is invested in helping his own campaign, the odds are highly against it on a fake news propoganda channel.

In other news the the republican debates will not be held on the Daily Show.

[quote]100meters wrote:
thunderbolt23 wrote:
Beowolf wrote:

Well it’s also about what clips FOX will use when showing a summery of the debate. They will do what they always do, and show clips completely out of context. It’s alright when comedians do it, but FOX is a real news station. We should expect better. CNN is just as bad with GOP clips, for the record.

If this be true about the clips, isn’t that what they will face in a general election campaign?

Any Democract worthy of the United States Presidency should be saying “I can’t wait to get in there and tear up those right-wing hacks while America is watching.” Someone with Presidential mettle would be doing that.

And besides - how hard could it be? Democrats are the really bright Enlightened-types, and the hacks at FOX are paleolithic knuckledraggers (we hear that here all the time).

Wouldn’t it be a cakewalk to get up there and make short work of the FOX neanderthals?

I understand your disappointment - I am disappointed as well. On this, I agree with Coulter, it turns out: if the Democratic candidates are unwilling to face the challenge of a FOX moderator, how will they act across the table from the Iranian maniac?

I may not ordinarily vote Democrat - but I may have a Democratic president come 2008 - and I deserve to know how they can handle the job. That is true of any candidate.

This is really just common sense as Ann actually knows. If 88 percent of fox viewers supported Bush in the last election (more than any other demographic) then logically there is absolutely ZERO point in having debates on FOx. A canidate is invested in helping his own campaign, the odds are highly against it on a fake news propoganda channel.

In other news the the republican debates will not be held on the Daily Show. [/quote]

I guess we shouldn’t expect the GOP to do anything on CNN, CBS, NBC, or ABC.

Fox News is the biggest cable news channel in the country, by a landslide. Not some “fake” news as you said.

Why wouldn’t the candidates want to get their message out to that many people? A debate is a debate. The Dems only want to talk to their base for some reason. Seriously, how would a debate on Fox News Channel be any different than a debate on CNN or CBS, other than massive ratings?

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
thunderbolt23 wrote:
vroom wrote:
You guys are pretty naive if you think it is merely about having to answer questions…

A moderator firing questions - that is the format every time.

What else would it be other than asking questions?

Instead of leaving statements with an empty elipsis, you should explain what exactly will happen beyond answering questions.

Well it’s also about what clips FOX will use when showing a summery of the debate. They will do what they always do, and show clips completely out of context. It’s alright when comedians do it, but FOX is a real news station. We should expect better. CNN is just as bad with GOP clips, for the record.[/quote]

Beowolf,

The KING of biased clips and analysis is msnbc.

Watch their analysis after the next democratic debate. I was actually surprised by how blatant they were.

matthews and olbermann seemed to be highlighting strengths of the candidates. According to them, there were great and excellent democratic candidates.

Another thing, listen very carefully to pronouns.

JeffR

[quote]PGJ wrote:
Why wouldn’t the candidates want to get their message out to that many people? A debate is a debate. The Dems only want to talk to their base for some reason. Seriously, how would a debate on Fox News Channel be any different than a debate on CNN or CBS, other than massive ratings?
[/quote]

This is actually ridiculous on the part of the democrats.

So they are going to ask us to entrust them with the security of our families against inveterate foes and they cannot field FAIR QUESTIONS?

This has to be a joke.

Remind me, did Bush duck david letterman? cnn, debates?

I don’t want to speak for them, but, I have a feeling my more moderate democratic friends find this behavior highly questionable.

You know what’s even worse? This adds to an already polarized electorate.

The dems are essentially saying, “We want to engage only the democratic base. We want only softballs.”

Sad. But, not really surprising.

If Rudy ducked cnn, I’d be angry.

JeffR

I think they are not going on Fox because they don’t want to expose themselves to right-leaning viewers.

Nothing puts money in Republican candidates campaign chests faster than hearing Hillary and the rest bloviate.

What would the point be? These are debates that will influence the primaries - how many FOX viewers do you think will be casting their vote for a democrat in the primaries?

By contrast, the GOP candidates will be debating at the Reagan Library…

…sponsored by MSNBC and Politico.

And moderated by…Chris Matthews. Yes, Chris Matthews.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070503/ap_on_el_pr/republicans_debate