Democrats Betray Their Own!

“In Tuesday’s primary, Connecticut Democrats dumped Joe Lieberman, an 18-year incumbent, because he supports the war on terrorism. This is the same Joe Lieberman who voted against all the Bush tax cuts, against banning same-sex marriage, against banning partial-birth abortion, against the confirmation of Judge Alito, against drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and in favor of the Kyoto accords. Oh yes, this was also the same Joe Lieberman who was the Democrats’ own vice presidential candidate six years ago.”

--- Ann Coulter

Once again, the ‘Queen of Mean’ nails these fuckers’ balls to the walls!

HH

This fall is shaping up to be very interesting.

The modern democratic party is an absolute mess.

It’s going to come down to which party the people feel is serious about fighting the War on Terror.

I have to admit I’ve been disappointed by the Republican’s inability to communicate. I’m not a big fan of Frist.

The dems did manage to mud-sling Tom Delay to the point where he was too distracted to lead forcefully.

We have the tongue tied Republicans versus the looney toon dems!!!

If nothing else, it should be fun to watch!!!

JeffR

Lieberman should be a Republican as the Democrats don’t share his beliefs.

http://www.slate.com/id/2147395/nav/tap1/

This is a pretty interesting article about the race.

I personally am torn. I don’t think recumbency should be guaranteed, but I don’t think the democrats need to start attacking themselves when they should be focusing on being united etc.

On the other hand, the democrats do need some new leadership, and I can’t help but dislike Lieberman for being such a sanctimonious dork.

[quote]ExNole wrote:

I personally am torn. I don’t think recumbency should be guaranteed, but I don’t think the democrats need to start attacking themselves when they should be focusing on being united etc.

On the other hand, the democrats do need some new leadership, and I can’t help but dislike Lieberman for being such a sanctimonious dork. [/quote]

He reminds me of the dad on A.L.F. - I never really liked him because he is so liberal.

The dems are going to take this little Conneticut primary as a mandtate to be the antiwar party, and try to move even further left this November.

They will lose seats in both houses if they do not move to the center, and move now.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
“In Tuesday’s primary, Connecticut Democrats dumped Joe Lieberman, an 18-year incumbent, because he supports the war on terrorism. This is the same Joe Lieberman who voted against all the Bush tax cuts, against banning same-sex marriage, against banning partial-birth abortion, against the confirmation of Judge Alito, against drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and in favor of the Kyoto accords. Oh yes, this was also the same Joe Lieberman who was the Democrats’ own vice presidential candidate six years ago.”

--- Ann Coulter

HH

[/quote]

If you’ve been following politics at all in the last 6 yrs you’ve probably noticed that the Dems aren’t too keen on Lieberman.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

--- Ann Coulter

HH

If you’ve been following politics at all in the last 6 yrs you’ve probably noticed that the Dems aren’t too keen on Lieberman.[/quote]

But, except for the war, he toed the party line on just about every other issue. His reward was this. Heck, even former President Clinton endorsed the man. This implies that the Dem party has moved to the left of Clinton. Yikes!!

HH

I think Lieberman is doing the right thing I think in some future people will have their own Ideas rather than let some political party dictate how they should feel on a given topic.

Why all the hoopla?

Republican Jewish Coalition Launches Ad Campaign on Lieberman Loss
Joe Lieberman was a voice of support for Israel.
That voice has been silenced by the Democratic Party.
http://www.rjchq.org/news.asp?FormMode=Detail&id=1128

Oh yeah.

Pro-Israel PAC Contributions to 2006 Congressional Candidates

Lieberman, Joseph*

2005-2006: $49,500

Career total: $286,258

President: $7000

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
But, except for the war, he toed the party line on just about every other issue. His reward was this. Heck, even former President Clinton endorsed the man. This implies that the Dem party has moved to the left of Clinton. Yikes!!

HH
[/quote]

You are splitting hairs here; Clinton endorsed him over whom…? And in spite of this all major players in congress supported (voted for) the war based on the intelligence they were given.

Also, Clinton has never been a lefty. A democrat maybe…but a southern democrat which has always been far to the right of center with respect to other dems.

In case anyone wondered why the GOP has soooo much interest in Lieberman…

Democrats Drop Lieberman, GOP Paints Vote as Anti-Israel
FORWARD
August 11, 2006
The Republican Jewish Coalition, a Washington-based group, announced Wednesday that it would mount a national advertising campaign in Jewish newspapers that would attempt to paint Lamont’s victory as a troubling loss for Israel.

“Joe Lieberman was a voice of support for Israel,” the RJC ad says. “That voice has been silenced by the Democratic Party. America and Israel are worse off for it.”

The RJC is also touting a Los Angeles Times poll released last week, which found that Republicans were significantly more likely than Democrats to believe that the United States should align with Israel instead of adopting a more neutral posture. Democrats supported neutrality over alignment, 54%-39%, while Republicans supported alignment with the Jewish state 64%-29%.

In response to the RJC ads, Ira Forman, executive director of the National Jewish Democratic Coalition, accused the RJC of employing “the cheapest of partisan politics.”

“They’ve used Lieberman as a whipping boy in the past, now they’re suddenly pro-Lieberman?” Forman said, adding that the RJC ran a full-page ad critical of Lieberman in 2000.

Political order upended as Democrats slam, Republicans praise Lieberman
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060810/ts_alt_afp/usiraqvoterepublicans;_ylt=AurNVFp7G6ErsEYpMwsxg.WyFz4D;_ylu=X3oDMTA0cDJlYmhvBHNlYwM-

Cheney: Lieberman Loss ‘Disturbing’ Because al Qaeda Is ‘Betting They Can Break The Will of The American People’
Cheney said that to “purge a man like Joe Lieberman” was “of concern, especially over the issue of Joe’s support with respect to national efforts in the global war on terror.”
http://thinkprogress.org/2006/08/10/cheney-ct/

And why US attachment and alignment with Israel will be our ultimate undoing…

9/11 Commission Chairmen Admit to Whitewash
August 8, 2006
The book usefully details the administration’s willful misrepresentation of its incompetent actions that day, but makes the shocking admission that some commission members deliberately wanted to distort an even more important issue.

Apparently, unidentified commissioners wanted to cover up the fact that U.S. support for Israel was one of the motivating factors behind al-Qaeda’s 9/11 attack.

Tide of Arab Opinion Turns to Support for Hezbollah
New York Times
July 28, 2006
DAMASCUS, Syria - At the onset of the Lebanese crisis, Arab governments, starting with Saudi Arabia, slammed Hezbollah for recklessly provoking a war, providing what the United States and Israel took as a wink and a nod to continue the fight.

Now, with hundreds of Lebanese dead and Hezbollah holding out against the vaunted Israeli military for more than two weeks, the tide of public opinion across the Arab world is surging behind the organization, transforming the Shiite group’s leader, Sheik Hassan Nasrallah, into a folk hero and forcing a change in official statements.

The Saudi royal family and King Abdullah II of Jordan, who were initially more worried about the rising power of Shiite Iran, Hezbollah’s main sponsor, are scrambling to distance themselves from Washington.
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/0728-01.htm

I would imagine $5.00 a gallon gas will have a much more devastating impact on the US than anything a terrorist could unleash.

“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none.”
~Thomas Jefferson

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
"In Tuesday’s primary, Connecticut Democrats dumped Joe Lieberman, an 18-year incumbent, because he supports the war on terrorism.
[/quote]

The initial premise here is a deliberate lie by the author (of course)

He lost because obviously he’s out of touch with mainstream America
Iraq and reality,see his op-ed: Opinion & Reviews - Wall Street Journal

[quote]rainjack wrote:
The dems are going to take this little Conneticut primary as a mandtate to be the antiwar party, and try to move even further left this November.

They will lose seats in both houses if they do not move to the center, and move now. [/quote]

More likely they’d gain seats by moving to the left (actually the center). Elections like this prove there is no need to move to the center (the right). That’s the most frustrating thing about the democratic party is the DNC’ers still not getting that mainstream america is already inline with the democratic party, yet still the DNC will tell canidates to not boldly say they (the canidates) are for pulling troops out of Iraq (see Ned Lamont). Why look like a fringe, out-of-touch, wingnut (Lieberman) when you could simply be with the mainstream/reality based portion of the population?

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
I think Lieberman is doing the right thing I think in some future people will have their own Ideas rather than let some political party dictate how they should feel on a given topic. [/quote]

Had Lieberman won, I wonder if he would have urged Lamont to fight for the nutmeg state by running as an independent?

[quote]100meters wrote:
More likely they’d gain seats by moving to the left (actually the center). Elections like this prove there is no need to move to the center (the right). That’s the most frustrating thing about the democratic party is the DNC’ers still not getting that mainstream america is already inline with the democratic party, yet still the DNC will tell canidates to not boldly say they (the canidates) are for pulling troops out of Iraq (see Ned Lamont). Why look like a fringe, out-of-touch, wingnut (Lieberman) when you could simply be with the mainstream/reality based portion of the population?
[/quote]

Since when has AMerica been in line with the Democratic Party?

You guys make a run for the anti-war left - we’ll see how it lines up.

My opinion is that America wants a more right hand turn - Republicans are playing in the center and pissing most all of their constituancy off.

The only way the left can win is to act like they are conservative during the campaign.

It was just last election cycle that many of the dem candidates never mentioned their party affiliation.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

My opinion is that America wants a more right hand turn - Republicans are playing in the center and pissing most all of their constituancy off.

The only way the left can win is to act like they are conservative during the campaign.

It was just last election cycle that many of the dem candidates never mentioned their party affiliation.

[/quote]

How does this country want a more conservative turn?

They have destroyed nearly everything in their last eight years in office.

Democrats need to unify and stand together on all of this, and proclaim the need for a timetable for withdrawl. The country will support this.

I think the few that buy into this, “stay until the mission is over” shit are delusional- this mission will never be over.

And if you want to call it cut and run, just like Vietnam, well I call it realizing a damn mistake. Stop electing Texas oilmen who like to start wars, and we won’t have anything to cut and run from.

God, 100meters, you are about 100 light years from reality. You honestly think the center of America is to the LEFT of the Democratic party?

[quote]rainjack wrote:
ExNole wrote:

On the other hand, the democrats do need some new leadership, and I can’t help but dislike Lieberman for being such a sanctimonious dork.

He reminds me of the dad on A.L.F. - I never really liked him because he is so liberal.

They will lose seats in both houses if they do not move to the center, and move now. [/quote]

I think you are right. If main stream America thinks the Dems are the party of the lunatic left the Dems will lose much support.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

[/quote]
America is exactly in line with democrats almost down to every point.
Losing the war on terror?check
Disapprove of the president?check
Against Iraq?check
For minimum wage increase?check
Universal health care? check
and so on…ad nauseum

Acting conservative only puts you in a small fringe of voters…so why bother?

[quote]doogie wrote:
God, 100meters, you are about 100 light years from reality. You honestly think the center of America is to the LEFT of the Democratic party? [/quote]

Well in “reality land” the majority of the country agrees with Democrats on the left of Joe Lieberman (obviously). 60 percent of the country agree with Lamont on the most important political issue (Iraq) and 65 percent disapprove of the president like Lamont. So yeah “honestly”. And technically my opinion is no light years away from reality, it is the reality…

Of course you’re welcome to post the polls that say the american public loves the way the war in Iraq is going, or how the majority supports the president…

waiting…

waiting…

waiting…

waiting…