Demanding, Effective Ab Exercises?

Section 2

Hanging Reverse Trunk Twist

(upper and lower abs, obliques)

Hang from a pullup bar with your hands shoulder-width apart and your legs slightly bent. Keeping your legs at this angle, raise them in front of you until your thighs are parallel to the floor.

Next, tilt your pelvis and slowly raise your legs until your feet are almost as high as your chest. Lower your legs to the middle position and rotate them to the right (so your feet point to 1 o’clock), then to the left (feet pointing to 11 o’clock). Bring your legs back to the center, then to the starting position.

Watch Your Form: Think about tilting your pelvis up, then lifting your legs.

Video Demo

If it sounds like a troll and looks like a troll…

[quote]Rocky2 wrote:
Section 2

Hanging Reverse Trunk Twist

(upper and lower abs, obliques)

Hang from a pullup bar with your hands shoulder-width apart and your legs slightly bent. Keeping your legs at this angle, raise them in front of you until your thighs are parallel to the floor.

Next, tilt your pelvis and slowly raise your legs until your feet are almost as high as your chest. Lower your legs to the middle position and rotate them to the right (so your feet point to 1 o’clock), then to the left (feet pointing to 11 o’clock). Bring your legs back to the center, then to the starting position.

Watch Your Form: Think about tilting your pelvis up, then lifting your legs.

Video Demo
[/quote]

im gonna try that, thanks!

[quote]Rumble Fish wrote:

Interesting exercises. I’m a fan of the ab roller, but it’s a bit too easy for me now unless I want to do a lot of reps. I can’t believe I’ve never thought of doing them band-resisted.

Second the Dragon Flags.

You will not get larger abs without resistance. Body weight alone will not cause much actual hypertrophy of those muscles past a certain point, especially in someone who trained for gymnastics and already has a stronger than average core.

“i want big abs but i dont want to use weight” is alsmot as bad as “i just want to get cut, not big”

alsdotrain abs like normal muscles they are not some freaky muscle that you need 3 sets of 50 reps train them hard and heavy as many of the coaches advocate on here, i would say no more than 8 reps if you want really hard bulky abs i do 5 sets each time i lift 3 sets lower than 10 reps and 2 sets of 20 just to burnthem out completely so far its worked for me

[quote]jo3 wrote:
Rumble Fish wrote:

Interesting exercises. I’m a fan of the ab roller, but it’s a bit too easy for me now unless I want to do a lot of reps. I can’t believe I’ve never thought of doing them band-resisted.[/quote]

Sometimes when I was doing it I would do a jettison set with it too. Go to failure with the band, drop the band and keep going. It’s horrible, absolutely horrible. The gorilla ups are my favorite though, too much fun not to do.

[quote]Hotlover wrote:
i already have decent abs but i want them to get the even bigger. want them really big… i mean huge. i dont want to use weights, so could any of you recommend some ab exercises that is very demanding and effective which dont require the use of external load (weights)?

thanks.[/quote]

Woo hoo, 20-fucking-09 strikes again.

This class sucks dicks, can we send them back?

If you want the abs to actually increase in size i.e. hypertrophy,you need to add weight.
There have been some good exercises suggested,but as Prof X stated,I feel your core (specifically the deeper muscles) is sufficiently strong,and your body fat is already low.

To get that ‘rippled’ look,you need to focus on the rectus abdominus,the main superficial (outer) muscles,the so-called ‘six-pack’ muscles (although there are actually 8 sections) which are mainly a fast-twitch muscle group,which responds better to weight-bearing exercises once the endurance has been built up.

Give those exercises a try,or a few variations/progressions on what you have done so far,if you can achieve high reps without too much trouble,you’re wasting your time if you want big-ass abs in my opinion,and you need to add weight.

If you were doing full front levers, then you aren’t going to find any bw ab exercises that are going to make your abs grow larger. Dragon flags aren’t even close (unless maybe you add weight, but then it ceases to be a bw exercise and you might as well go with weighted crunches) to the strength required to do a full front lever.

The only one I can think of that might even be close would be standing ab wheel rollouts (you can also do them on rings if you have the kind that adjusts height).

So, as Prof X stated, seeing as how you’ve already pretty much maxed out on the bw exercises, if you really want to grow, you’ve gotta start using external resistance.

Maybe, maybe coach Sommer’s book might have some crazy exercise in it that I don’t know about though. So, I’d go ahead and PM the person who offered to help you out in that regard.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
If you were doing full front levers, then you aren’t going to find any bw ab exercises that are going to make your abs grow larger. Dragon flags aren’t even close (unless maybe you add weight, but then it ceases to be a bw exercise and you might as well go with weighted crunches) to the strength required to do a full front lever.

The only one I can think of that might even be close would be standing ab wheel rollouts (you can also do them on rings if you have the kind that adjusts height).

So, as Prof X stated, seeing as how you’ve already pretty much maxed out on the bw exercises, if you really want to grow, you’ve gotta start using external resistance.

Maybe, maybe coach Sommer’s book might have some crazy exercise in it that I don’t know about though. So, I’d go ahead and PM the person who offered to help you out in that regard.[/quote]

im actually thinking about getting a weight vest. i found a such a vest on ebay that can weigh as much as 90 pounds… but with shipping to norway it would be terrible expensive tough

[quote]Professor X wrote:
You will not get larger abs without resistance. Body weight alone will not cause much actual hypertrophy of those muscles past a certain point, especially in someone who trained for gymnastics and already has a stronger than average core.[/quote]

Wait.

wtf you’re giving a serious reply to a guy that want’s massive abs on his tiny little frame? You can’t be prof :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Bicep_craze wrote:
Professor X wrote:
You will not get larger abs without resistance. Body weight alone will not cause much actual hypertrophy of those muscles past a certain point, especially in someone who trained for gymnastics and already has a stronger than average core.

Wait.

wtf you’re giving a serious reply to a guy that want’s massive abs on his tiny little frame? You can’t be prof :P[/quote]

I was tired of there being over 2 pages worth of crap all because every newb felt the need to jump in. Not one reply even mentioned the need for resistance which…is just sad.

Bicep_craze wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Wait.

wtf you’re giving a serious reply to a guy that want’s massive abs on his tiny little frame? You can’t be prof :stuck_out_tongue:

I was tired of there being over 2 pages worth of crap all because every newb felt the need to jump in. Not one reply even mentioned the need for resistance which…is just sad.[/quote]

Actually, DaVinciv2 mentioned the need for resistance. Think he was the second reply - something like that… Don’t think the OP ever gave him a response though.

[quote]nvh95 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Bicep_craze wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Wait.

I was tired of there being over 2 pages worth of crap all because every newb felt the need to jump in. Not one reply even mentioned the need for resistance which…is just sad.

Actually, DaVinciv2 mentioned the need for resistance. Think he was the second reply - something like that… Don’t think the OP ever gave him a response though.[/quote]

Truth is rarely recognized.

Bicep_craze wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Wait.

I was tired of there being over 2 pages worth of crap all because every newb felt the need to jump in. Not one reply even mentioned the need for resistance which…is just sad.[/quote]

well, resistance is resistance even its from bodyweight or external load. the thing is, people always say to me “you cant buig any muscles with your bodyweight only” and that i have disproved. i probably will have to use external load to build really massive abs. i was just looking go find some new ab exercises that are really demanding which i can use my own bodyweight as resistance. again, i see how a waste of energy and time it is do disguss anything with others, so this will be my last reply. im gonna delete my account. bye bye folks.

[quote]Hotlover wrote:
well, resistance is resistance even its from bodyweight or external load. the thing is, people always say to me “you cant buig any muscles with your bodyweight only” and that i have disproved. i probably will have to use external load to build really massive abs. i was just looking go find some new ab exercises that are really demanding which i can use my own bodyweight as resistance. again, i see how a waste of energy and time it is do disguss anything with others, so this will be my last reply. im gonna delete my account. bye bye folks.[/quote]

ok,back to bodybuilding.com for you,sir.