T Nation

Deltoid Hypertrophy Help

First post here guys, I have a client who has a hard time firing his deltoids in presses and lateral varaitions. It seems that his upper traps dominate everything. I’ve tried varying tempo, reps, load, depression of the shoulder. Thoughts?

Look into JMs training articles

Imagine his base as support, long as he’s not shrugging then he is fine. Upper traps don’t do the work of a press so it is the delts/chest/triceps that are firing. If you just want him to understand which muscle specifically you mean then just lighten the load and have him do it until it burns, while squeezing his scap together.

is there a problem not using the traps on rowing movements as well?

pre-exhaustion. not ideal for size in advanced lifter but for a client that has trouble with mind-muscle connection, it’s a good idea. to take it further, do it uni-laterally to really focus. I like lying incline laterals with db going behind back. there’s also a good chance your client may have structural issues like upper-cross syndrome. you may want to adress that issue first.

[quote]myosaurus wrote:
pre-exhaustion. not ideal for size in advanced lifter but for a client that has trouble with mind-muscle connection, it’s a good idea. to take it further, do it uni-laterally to really focus. I like lying incline laterals with db going behind back. there’s also a good chance your client may have structural issues like upper-cross syndrome. you may want to adress that issue first.[/quote]

Good to see you posting with some regularity around here again, Myo!

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
Look into JMs training articles[/quote]

This. Partials on DB laterals (bottom 1/2 of the movement with arms as straight as possible) will fix this problem in a hurry.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]myosaurus wrote:
pre-exhaustion. not ideal for size in advanced lifter but for a client that has trouble with mind-muscle connection, it’s a good idea. to take it further, do it uni-laterally to really focus. I like lying incline laterals with db going behind back. there’s also a good chance your client may have structural issues like upper-cross syndrome. you may want to adress that issue first.[/quote]

Good to see you posting with some regularity around here again, Myo![/quote]

x2, you look fantastic bro.

Are there any threads here which detail your training? If not, any chance you could start one? Fair amount of functional type BS here at the mo would be good to learn some bodybuilding info.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]myosaurus wrote:

Good to see you posting with some regularity around here again, Myo![/quote]

x2, you look fantastic bro.

Are there any threads here which detail your training? If not, any chance you could start one? Fair amount of functional type BS here at the mo would be good to learn some bodybuilding info.[/quote]

I started this one a while ago…

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I started this one a while ago…

[/quote]

thanks, good read.

Thank you for the feedback. I well test and repost