T Nation

Deloading?

Whenever I deload (4th week of a 4 week block)I usually reduce the volume (from 5x5 to 5x3 with the same weight as the week before for example) for my lower body, but for my upperbody (I concentrate mainly on the Push press and Push jerk) I usually do either a 3x3, with a weight that I can do 5 or 6 times or just high rep sets of dumbell presses.

But when I come back to training the next week, I feel weaker, and it is harder to hit weight that were easy before the deload. Am I deloading wrong or should I use longer blocks?

Will42

Stick with the same volume and drop your weight 10-15%

I seem to always not hit the same loads the first week back from a deload week though I dont plan them go by feel. Its always the week following that things take off again

for what its worth’

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
I seem to always not hit the same loads the first week back from a deload week though I dont plan them go by feel. Its always the week following that things take off again

for what its worth’

Phill[/quote]

Yeah same here. First week back I’m always weaker. Second week things come together. If that’s you, just go with it. Now I adjust for this when choosing loads.

I’m on a 5x5 program. For the start of the deload, I just drop down to 3x3. I’ve been reading more recently that a deload in volume is more important than a deload in intensity. A lifter on Elite’s site was saying the same thing. For my deload I’ll hold the weights the same as my last 5x5 week, but drop down to the 3x3. After my deload week on 3x3, I add weight and try to hit PRs in triples. I’ll do that for a few weeks before going back to a 5x5.I used to keep my volume the same but lighten the weights, then come back still feeling burned out.

I’ve found Deloading to be highly specific. People with fast metabolisms can lose considerable strength gains after deloading. Plus some change their nutrition during that weak which can make things even worst.

Some need an extra week of training before Deloading. Others need to have a Really hard week before Deloading. And some a 5x5 with large rest periods is not enough after 3 weeks to demand a deload. A 5x5 to 3x5 with same weight is not that much of a deload either.

Also have to take into account what you do during the day, a desk job like mine I will lose a ton of power if I deload too much.

You have to play around with it until you find the perfect circumstance for you.

When I deload I deload the wieght. My work sets will remain the same but I drop the weight by 30 to 50% to give my nervous system a rest. I may also cut out a workout that week, which usually my speed day for upper body. I won’t do all my assistance work either. The wieght is usually the only thing I need a break from.