T Nation

Deloading

I don't follow a real program just always push myself. I know I need to deload but have never really done it properly. In the past when I'm worn out I usually just do different movements entirely. Like to deload my Deadlift day I might instead just not deadlift but do Krocs, Pullups, and T-Rows or some such alternatives.

How does one properly deload as I've hit 2 of my 3 goals for the month and hoping to hit the last one on Saturday and then want to deload next week and start doing this regularly into the New Year.

Is it more about going lighter, doing less volume, different exercises, or some combination? For example I just hit a 405 deadlift. So should I work up next week to a 365 single or should I do maybe 3 x 5 at 320 or should I just not deadlift and work other back exercises?

While on the subject - is it better to stagger the deloads so in one week I might deload deadlift but ME on squat and bench. Or should I time it so I'm deloading all 3 on the same week?

It will be down to you to experiment.
First off reduce intensity AND volume, just do your normal warm ups and no 'work' sets.
Deload all together, a week is good: it allows rest for all the systems.

x2 on experimenting.

Every 3rd week I back off on the weight a little: only work up to a decent set of 5, followed by one or two high-rep sets (lighter weight, no grinding). This has worked for most of the year so far.

But everyone is different. This is just another idea.

x3 on experimenting. I have one training partner that will blast for up to 6 weeks and then leave. He just won't come into the gym for one or two weeks depending on how he feels. It works for him. He totaled out at 1415 in the 220 class. My other partner only works up to 90 percent for the week and he calls that his deload. It works for him. He just squatted 650 last week. He got 610 in comp a couple of months ago.

Both very different but successful.

I like to do light conditioning only. Maybe some light rehab movements (rotator cuff work, bw bridges, X band walks, etc). And I'm not talking about running a marathon, just like going on a gentle mountain biking trail, or going kayaking, hit up a climbing gym maybe, and long walks. I swear, just walking is one of the best recuperative 'methods' there is. The key is to make it leisurely and not go all out or be intense about it.

I also spend more time on mobility, flexibility, traction, and improving soft tissue quality.