T Nation

Deloading Week?

hey guys so ive done 4 weeks of my program and gained about 5 pounds and my bench went up 10 pounds. should i take a deloading week for the 5th week? for the 4th week i lowered the volume a bit. what do you guys think?

I think you should keep going heavy.

Your body will tell you when you it’s time to ramp things down for a little while.

I think you should get away from the benching mentality.

[quote]kobe4life08 wrote:
hey guys so ive done 4 weeks of my program and gained about 5 pounds and my bench went up 10 pounds. should i take a deloading week for the 5th week? for the 4th week i lowered the volume a bit. what do you guys think?[/quote]

Unless you just started training, yes, take the back off week. Rule of 60% works great here. By the time your body tells you it needs a back off, you need along one.

jack

It depends on a number of factors.
First of all how much do you weigh and what’s your max bench? If your weight went from 155 to 160 and your bench went from 165 to 175 I wouldn’t be too concerned with overtaining.

I’ve found (from my experience) that it’s better to deload a bit earlier than you need to than to risk overtraining and setting yourself back.

If you do choose to deload, I would cut the volume and intensity of your lifts for the week.

When you really start to understand whats going with your body you can plan your program ahead of time and know when to expect your jumps in strength as well as when your body will start crapping out. This way you can hit it really hard and have no fear of overreaching, in fact you can hit it so hard you can even overreach a bit because you know your deloading week will be coming and you will get a break at least from volume.