T Nation

Deloading - An Idiots Guide?

So for the first time in a very long time I am sticking to a regular program and have trained consistently for the last month. I have heard about deloading but dont really understand how and when I should do it. Here is my last workout (which I do 4 times a week), if you can explain what I would do to deload (or if I really need to) I would appreciate it:

Deadlifts
5 x 120kg Warmup)
5 x 150kg
5 x 170kg
3 x 180kg
1 x 190kg (wanted to triple but wasnt feeling it)

Hip Thrusts
8 x 60kg
8 x 60kg
6 x 70kg
6 x 80kg

Front Squats (I have bad knees so not really heavy)
5 x 60kg x 4

Bench
10 x 60kg (warmup)
5 x 80kg
5 x 90kg
3 x 100kg
3 x 100kg

Chinups
17, 12, 8, 6

TRX Highpulls, Curls, Tri Extensions supersets
8, 8, 6, 6

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Even If you dont think I need to deload, please explain the concept and how it fits into training.

For this reason alone, I'd say there's no major benefit to deloading right now. Build that consistency and momentum for another month or three before considering a serious deload.

You should probably do something about those "bad knees" though.

This article has a few different coaches giving their thoughts on deloading:
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/get_bigger_by_doing_less

Basically, a deload is an "easier" week where you dial things back a little bit. Instead of turning the dial to 11 every workout, you go to an 8 or 9, maybe less if you've been pushing extremely hard or have some more significant issues that need addressing (injuries on the horizon, etc.).

You generally keep the same training routine but you'd reduce the volume (less sets per exercise), reduce the weight (a lighter %RM), or reduce the intensity (not pushing each set as close to failure) depending on exactly how you've been training prior to the deload. If you wanted/needed to get more "fancy" or to address more particular issues, you might do an entirely different routine for the week - all bodyweight exercises or all dumbbell work, for example. Or it could just be a mental rest where you ditch the gym but play some basketball or something, so you're still active, just not lifting.

Thanks for the advice and the link to the article. Both were much appreciated.

To clarify, I have been training conistently for the last 4 years, ie 5 times a week minimum, but I have been doing crossfit. This last month has been the first month of a non crossfit program (yes I see the irony of crossfit and program in the same sentence). So I guess I have been going reasonably hard for a long time.

I might take next week a little easy and hit the kettlebells for a week.

Cheers