Deload Weeks

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
not permission but more along the lines of asking for more insight, because i’m not the strongest or biggest guy in the word so that means someone has more knowledge than me that I want to learn to apply[/quote]

I feel like this is going to have you go in circles though. People that are bigger and stronger than you are telling you that this is not a great idea. If you want to learn and apply their knowledge, that is the knowledge being imparted on you. If you want to be a pioneer, you’re going to have to ignore what those people are saying and go your own path. Trying to play a middle ground on this is just going to lead to mediocrity.[/quote]

x2 dont try and reinvent the wheel

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:

x2 dont try and reinvent the wheel[/quote]

Well, more like, if you’re going to reinvent the wheel, don’t ask for input from people that are using the wheel. I’ve got no qualms with doing something different, I just think trying to dip your toes in the water isn’t going to hack it. You either need to jump in and learn to swim or get on someone else’s boat.

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
I just finished a cycle of 5x5 and while I usually only take a single week of lifting to have fun and try new things, this time I was debating on going extremely light (30-40%) and just do 1 main set of 100 reps for about a month. Any suggestions on how to tweak this to optimize results?[/quote]

I think I get what you’re trying to convey in this and other posts in this thread. And, for the record, I also believe in the importance of the occasional deload (mine tends to last about a week every eight weeks).

One suggestion is:

1. Pick an exercise.
  2. Pick a weight that allows 100 reps at an RPE of 8 (or whatever rep and RPE you choose).
  3. Once you’re able to complete all reps using predetermined RPE, tempo, etc., add resistance. Rinse and repeat.

This is just a suggestion and you can tweak it however you want, but you did in fact ask in your OP.

Having said all that, I’d bet you’d milk everything possible out of this or any similar approach within 3 weeks (if not sooner) IF your long-term goal is strength and/or size. You can always come back to it in a future deload (IF you believe it has merit).

If you’re wrong in your theory and you persist for 4 weeks (or longer) just to fulfill some goal, the cumulative time squandered that could’ve been spent doing productive training WILL add up by year’s end.

Sure, the low-weight/high-reps will help increase capillary density, maybe heal any minor strains/sprains, maybe even increase mmc and reinforce good form. But you won’t tax the ATP/CP energy system. You’ll also neglect the fast-twitch fibers and possibly facilitate conversion of fast twitch to slow.

Personally, every two months, I get the fuck outta the gym for about a week. Sometimes I do very little physical activity. Other times, I go hiking or mtb’ing; for my next break I’m looking into ocean kayaking. Call it a deload, scheduled break, whatever. The net result is, I come back with renewed enthusiasm, stay injury-free, and progress in strength and…here comes that ‘a’ word – aesthetics.

I tried the concept with a workout partner and the results were very similar to how I expected. we used the bench press as our lift with only 75pounds as an experimental number. granted one huge set, felt like 3 different sets. the first 50-60 felt fast and smooth no problems like one would expect then it went to cluster sets with the bar resting on the chest until about 85 then the last 15 was slow grinding out singles.

The result was mostly a great pump in the tri’s, chest, and anterior delts. Sadly I do believe that this would be best used as a de-load week other wise it’s just to break up the monotony of heavy lifting and prevent burn-outs. I’ll try it with other body parts to make sure though