Deload Weeks

I just finished a cycle of 5x5 and while I usually only take a single week of lifting to have fun and try new things, this time I was debating on going extremely light (30-40%) and just do 1 main set of 100 reps for about a month. Any suggestions on how to tweak this to optimize results?

Keep the weight reasonably heavy just cut the volume/sets in half and dont go to failure and you should come back fresher and stronger…

I remember reading that a mid-level bodybuilder that I can’t remember who it was, used total number of reps where he would do 1,000 reps before he would quit that session. obviously either he is on PED’s or an outliner to the norm. I figured a tenth of that volume would cause hypertrophy with less joint and tendon stress long term.

You’re not going to be generating hypertrophy on a deload week. You shouldn’t be working that hard if the goal is to deload.

how do you feel about using it as a 4 week cycle to bust the casual routine?

You really don’t like deloads, do you?

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
how do you feel about using it as a 4 week cycle to bust the casual routine?[/quote]

Waste of time you just need one week (unless youve got an 8 plate deadlift in the NFl etc)

i really hate deloads. i know i need to have them programmed for longevity, but unless i can have fun with it my drive drops off substantially

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
i really hate deloads. i know i need to have them programmed for longevity, but unless i can have fun with it my drive drops off substantially
[/quote]

Then it baffles me why you would want to do entertain a ‘deload’ concept for eight weeks. Also, sometimes you have to do things that aren’t fun. Deal with it.

its not so much a de-load scheme as i would continue to add weight to the bar when the 1 set of 100 reps was reached. 1 week of light or no lifting is great for the body no denying it but I’m going to try it for a month and see if it’s worth the time.

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
[/quote]

I like to do more conditioning during my deload weeks, although in most cases I pushed myself hard enough during my training weeks that, by the time my deload weeks roll around, I’m fried out.

Maybe you don’t need a deload week.

its possible but id rather take one and not need it then need it and not take it

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
its possible but id rather take one and not need it then need it and not take it
[/quote]

Maybe, but you are missing the point of it and complicating your life.

Take a week. Do minimum. Extra stretching if you want.

Do as you wish and enjoy the road.

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
[/quote]

I can’t help but feel like this ISN’T the case based on this topic.

Why not start with a generally accepted protocol and go from there depending on how you feel in the weeks followin?

no denying that a general accepted routine is most likely more practical, but how can someone rule out the extremely weird or unusual routines like what i’m attempting to use. Unless we try new things to see if they work then we can never add to our repertoire

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
no denying that a general accepted routine is most likely more practical, but how can someone rule out the extremely weird or unusual routines like what i’m attempting to use. Unless we try new things to see if they work then we can never add to our repertoire [/quote]

Your best bet here is to not ask permission from a bunch of online strangers and just do it. It’s how I’ve found what works for me.

not permission but more along the lines of asking for more insight, because i’m not the strongest or biggest guy in the word so that means someone has more knowledge than me that I want to learn to apply

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
not permission but more along the lines of asking for more insight, because i’m not the strongest or biggest guy in the word so that means someone has more knowledge than me that I want to learn to apply[/quote]

I feel like this is going to have you go in circles though. People that are bigger and stronger than you are telling you that this is not a great idea. If you want to learn and apply their knowledge, that is the knowledge being imparted on you. If you want to be a pioneer, you’re going to have to ignore what those people are saying and go your own path. Trying to play a middle ground on this is just going to lead to mediocrity.

you are probably right