T Nation

Deload Week Necessary?

My primary focus is boxing and conditioning training however I use the 5/3/1 programme (twice a week) for my supplementary strength training.

I was wondering if there was any point in the deload week as I do not reduce the intensity/load of my other training so my muscles are not really getting much of a rest. Happy to keep the deload week just don’t want to waste my time if there’s no real point in it.

Thanks in advance.

It wasn’t included in the program to screw with people…

The only waste of time is you not reading the book.

If your lifting twice a week it might be okay to skip.

“If you’re training two times per week, I probably wouldn’t use a deload week unless it’s absolutely necessary.” This is a quote from 5/3/1. Page 78.

Thanks, appreciate the clear answer.

I used the 5/3/1 programming for supplementing my boxing, and I fought on very high level. The deloads did many great things for me, and if you train hard at boxing, this isn’t anything to worry about in my opinion.
Always use deloads prior to fights!

I lifted twice a week and went a year without deloading, and with great success. I had also been used to lifting hard four days a week before that though. Whether you need to or not will probably depend on the other things you’re doing besides lifting and the total amount of stress to your body.

Not to sound like an asshole but you should already be programming all of this stuff with your boxing; I assume you compete often so your plan must account for everything.

I also assume your skill coach (SPP) also coordinates your GPP, either personally or with the help of another coach. If not, I don’t know what to tell you; this is very, VERY basic sport training. I have a very hard time believing a boxing coach doesn’t know how to properly train his boxers in GPP.

Think you may have overestimated my situation; I have only been boxing 6-7 months (was into bodybuilding/strength training for 3 years previously) and am looking to have my first amateur bout within the next 2 months.

I turn up to the boxing sessions at the gym 3 or 4 times per week, all my other activities such as conditioning and strength training are coordinated by myself. The coaches are only responsible for the boxing sessions I go to.

This is why I was asking, I have no professional coaches telling me what to do.