Deload Week From 5/3/1, Take Surge?

I was was wondering during the 5/3/1… on the Deload week would I follow the protocol I usually do

2 Surge Workout Fuel
2 Surge

…or should I just have a protein shake and not try for the insulin spike since I won’t be busting my ass?

I noticed that CT said he increases his already most substantial paraworkout nutrition in his deload weeks, as he wants supercompensation to have its best chance (not the way he put it: he said it better.)

Myself, I’ve never done that, never thought about it, and it wouldn’t have occurred to me. I have kept it at least the same as usual.

On the other hand, the workouts that actually comprise the 5/3/1 part are at a volume I would associate with advanced old age or severe disease. If the total volume is substantial this has to be from the accessory work, for which recommendations I’ve seen are reasonable.

So as to whether supercompensation is going to take place or not from the program I think would depend on how challenging the accessory work was, not on the 5/3/1 exercises themselves.

In the spirit of the 5/3/1… who cares??? :slight_smile:

I’m currently doing WS4SB using 5/3/1 percentages for my ME lifts. Following 5/3/1, tomorrow kicks off my deload week. I usually have 1 serving of Surge Workout Fuel before my Upper max and 2 before my lower max day. Both days followed by 2 or 3 scoops of Surge Recovery. I was also wondering if I should change up my Surge intake for this week, but i’m leaning toward staying with routine. The way I see it… Since my ME days aren’t going to have me busting ass with bench/squat, I should be busting more ass with my usual accessory work.

[quote]MikeyKBiatch wrote:
In the spirit of the 5/3/1… who cares??? :)[/quote]

Basically. Wendler would slap the shit out of you for asking such a nitpicky question.

[quote]PublickStews wrote:
MikeyKBiatch wrote:
In the spirit of the 5/3/1… who cares??? :slight_smile:

Basically. Wendler would slap the shit out of you for asking such a nitpicky question.[/quote]

I saw this pic on Wendler’s log: http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=98238&tid=63

Guessing this may summarize his opinion on supplements.