Deload vs. Week Off?

CT, what is more beneficial for optimal long-term growth/recovery in your opinion - taking a week off or deloading every few weeks/

[quote]TwinIron wrote:
CT, what is more beneficial for optimal long-term growth/recovery in your opinion - taking a week off or deloading every few weeks/[/quote]

Deloading is superior, but only using it as needed. If some peoples shoot themselves in the foot by never deloading; a lot of them also short-side their gains by deloading too often, when they don’t really need it.

During deload, do you keep the same protocol/ similar diet despite lower volumes of training? I’m currently in a deload week and kind of wondering if I should make some minor adjustments… should I even increase my intake to make most of the supercompensation taking place? or does the lowered training volume provide of an extra buffer to help me out with exactly that? or is it the other way around and that using two scoops of SWF is somewhat overkill during this week?

[quote]Montenegro wrote:
During deload, do you keep the same protocol/ similar diet despite lower volumes of training? I’m currently in a deload week and kind of wondering if I should make some minor adjustments… should I even increase my intake to make most of the supercompensation taking place? or does the lowered training volume provide of an extra buffer to help me out with exactly that? or is it the other way around and that using two scoops of SWF is somewhat overkill during this week?[/quote]

I mentioned that several times in the past. During a deload I actually increase the protocol dosage and up my caloric intake. The goal of a deload is to recover and surcompensate, added nutrients will make the process more effective.

thanks… sorry if it had been discussed already, I must have missed it…

Hope you find this info useful. I used this protocol as a guideline for my deload.

Christian Thibaudeau said:

"You got the right idea, but the wrong application.

A deload week is indeed to recover AND SURCOMPENSATE. So you shouldn’t only increase protein, but also good fats (omega-3s and other EFA) and even carbs (for the early part of the week).

For example:

Monday: High protein, relatively high carbs (100-150g more than you normally consume) add 12g of fish oil (or 6 Flameout) and 8g of EFA (FA3)

Tuesday: same as monday

Wednesday: high protein, decrease carbs by 50g (so 50-100g more than you are used to eating) add 6g of fish oil (total of 18g or 9 Flameout) and 4g of EFA (total of 12g of EFA)

Thursday: high protein, bring carbs back to their normal level, add 4g of fish oil (total of 22g of 10 Flameout), add 4g of EFA (total of 16g), add one serving of Power Drive after your workout (if you have one) or in mid-afternoon.

Friday: Low protein, tons of veggies, no starchy carbs, high dose of BCAAs throughout the day (total of around 60g spread over 6 intakes), keep fats the same, 1 serving of Power Drive, 5-10g of glycine at supper and before bed.

Saturday: Normal protein, normal carbs, fat stay at the same level as Friday, 2 servings of Power Drive, high dose of BCAAs throughout the day (total of around 60g spread over 6 intakes)10-15g of glycine at supper and before bed.

Sunday: Low protein, low carbs, fat stay at the same level, high dose of BCAAs throughout the day (total of around 60g spread over 6 intakes), 3 servings of Power Drive, 10-15g of glycine supper and before bed.

This protocol will optimize muscular, metabolic and neural recovery."

Original link (Diet questions thread):

[quote]Enerexus wrote:
Hope you find this info useful. I used this protocol as a guideline for my deload.

Christian Thibaudeau said:

"You got the right idea, but the wrong application.

A deload week is indeed to recover AND SURCOMPENSATE. So you shouldn’t only increase protein, but also good fats (omega-3s and other EFA) and even carbs (for the early part of the week).

For example:

Monday: High protein, relatively high carbs (100-150g more than you normally consume) add 12g of fish oil (or 6 Flameout) and 8g of EFA (FA3)

Tuesday: same as monday

Wednesday: high protein, decrease carbs by 50g (so 50-100g more than you are used to eating) add 6g of fish oil (total of 18g or 9 Flameout) and 4g of EFA (total of 12g of EFA)

Thursday: high protein, bring carbs back to their normal level, add 4g of fish oil (total of 22g of 10 Flameout), add 4g of EFA (total of 16g), add one serving of Power Drive after your workout (if you have one) or in mid-afternoon.

Friday: Low protein, tons of veggies, no starchy carbs, high dose of BCAAs throughout the day (total of around 60g spread over 6 intakes), keep fats the same, 1 serving of Power Drive, 5-10g of glycine at supper and before bed.

Saturday: Normal protein, normal carbs, fat stay at the same level as Friday, 2 servings of Power Drive, high dose of BCAAs throughout the day (total of around 60g spread over 6 intakes)10-15g of glycine at supper and before bed.

Sunday: Low protein, low carbs, fat stay at the same level, high dose of BCAAs throughout the day (total of around 60g spread over 6 intakes), 3 servings of Power Drive, 10-15g of glycine supper and before bed.

This protocol will optimize muscular, metabolic and neural recovery."

Original link (Diet questions thread):

thanks! this is great

Despite all this great info, my deload isn’t going exactly as I hoped,
I managed to screw up my wrist AND get a severe tooth infection on the same day! I can barely lift and barely eat!

Every few months or so, depending how beat up my body is, I just get completely away from the iron. This week, I am deloading and next week I will be outta town for Thanksgiving and away from the gym.

I tend to think its more of a mental break but increasing ones intake is something I really have not done. Instead I have indulged in crap food and drink. Think this time, I will give it a shot.

I am deloading soon, and being in college I think I will keep my nutrients and caloric intake up but limit my time in the gym to bodyweight training (pushups, situps, dips, chin-ups, etc.) I can tell my CNS definitely needs a break, good thing I have learned about de-loading, hoping it goes well.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]TwinIron wrote:
CT, what is more beneficial for optimal long-term growth/recovery in your opinion - taking a week off or deloading every few weeks/[/quote]

Deloading is superior, but only using it as needed. If some peoples shoot themselves in the foot by never deloading; a lot of them also short-side their gains by deloading too often, when they don’t really need it.[/quote]

This is pretty damn helpful. People have been telling me to take the deload week using 5/3/1 every 4th week, but I feel ideally I can go 5 to 7 weeks before starting to require one. 3 weeks hard on the weights, followed by a recovery week just never seemed optimal for me. Maybe I’ll start to see the value in more frequent deloads as I progress closer to my true 100% … until then I think I’ll stick to recovery week every 7th week.

Thanks coach!