Deload to Break That Plateau?

I don’t know the exact meaning/difference between deload or reset so dnt go terminology nazi on me if I misuse them.

Here’s the background story:
Been doing the Texas Method squat routine for 6 weeks. Squat went from 245x5(wk 1) to 265x5(wk 3) then stalle/pleatued on 275x3 for the next 3 weeks.

Current Training:
Volume day: 5x5 @ 88% of 5RM
Recovery day: 3x5 @ 66%-70% of 5RM
Intensity day: Work up to a 5RM

Problem:
I’m not clear on how to correctly break this plateau. Recovery isn’t a problem because I’m still PRing on other lifts. I was thinking of doing 3x5 with 60%-70% of my 5RM for a week but I’m afraid it might take a toll on my squat the next week due to the lack of intensity. Or I can linearly progress by 10lbs per squat workout, starting from 205, which will arrive at my normal volume day training the next week. What have you guys done for deloads/resets? Success stories?

Do the program as written. Just back off the weight to something you can easily hit and work back up again. Take one step back to take 3 steps forward. Also gains from the texas method, 5x5, madcow, etc won’t last forever. I’m sure you can still milk a lot more out of it though. Also make sure your form isn’t terrible.

[quote]gorangers0525 wrote:
Do the program as written. Just back off the weight to something you can easily hit and work back up again. Take one step back to take 3 steps forward. Also gains from the texas method, 5x5, madcow, etc won’t last forever. I’m sure you can still milk a lot more out of it though. Also make sure your form isn’t terrible.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. What do you mean won’t last forever? How long does it last?

[quote]Macmade wrote:

Do the program as written. Just back off the weight to something you can easily hit and work back up again. Take one step back to take 3 steps forward. Also gains from the texas method, 5x5, madcow, etc won’t last forever. I’m sure you can still milk a lot more out of it though. Also make sure your form isn’t terrible.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. What do you mean won’t last forever? How long does it last?[/quote]

Eventually your ability to recover will not be able to keep up with the intesity of the program. Take a simple linear progression for example, adding 5 pounds to your squat 3 times a week, basically Starting Strength. It wont last forever, or else everyone would squat 800 pounds after a year of lifting.

Eventually you will come to a point where you can’t keep up with the progression in the texas method and will have to move to a different program with less often increases, a periodization of some sort.

Thats not to say you should switch now just because you stalled, you more then likely can keep progressing on texas method for quite some time.

I would just multiply your current 5rm by 0.9, and then keep working up as you were, and you will bust through your current 5rm. Think of it as taking 1 step back in order to take 2 steps foward. Since your other lifts are still progressing, I would keep them the same.

Also, excellent progress, keep it up.

It depends on the lifter. Personally I think people move onto a more complicated programs too early when they can milk out gains from programs like the texas method. But eventually adding 5’bs/10lbs to your lifts on a weekly basis is not going to be possible anymore. Thats when people move onto westside style training (conjugate method), 5/3/1, juggernaut, sheiko, various high volume training cycles, etc.

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
I would just multiply your current 5rm by 0.9, and then keep working up as you were, and you will bust through your current 5rm. Think of it as taking 1 step back in order to take 2 steps foward. Since your other lifts are still progressing, I would keep them the same. [/quote]

If I start from 90% of my current 5RM, what do you suggest how much I go up by each week? Cuz I don’t really want to spend 5 weeks just to climb back.

It depends on the lifter. Personally I think people move onto a more complicated programs too early when they can milk out gains from programs like the texas method. But eventually adding 5’bs/10lbs to your lifts on a weekly basis is not going to be possible anymore. Thats when people move onto westside style training (conjugate method), 5/3/1, juggernaut, sheiko, various high volume training cycles, etc. [/quote]

oh okay, i misunderstood what you meant before, thought you meant that the gains already made would be lost. lol I just came off a pre-mature attempt at westside.

Work back up at whatever pace you were before.

Lifting is a lifetime pursuit. Taking 5 weeks to build back up is nothing.