Deload or Rest?

After training principally with 4 week cycles (5-3-1-Deload), I recently started my first 7 week cycle (5-3-1-5-3-1-D) and next week is my first deload.

I am feeling noticeably more tired than normal, I am finding that at work, I am making many mistakes when I type.

What are the benefits of deloading over taking a complete week to rest/recover?

Either or would be fine. Take 5-7 days off use it to do other shit an on free time stretch an foam roll. Enjoy the time off an get back at it next week. You’ll feel a hell of a lot better an be mentally an physically ready.

[quote]daniel4738 wrote:
After training principally with 4 week cycles (5-3-1-Deload), I recently started my first 7 week cycle (5-3-1-5-3-1-D) and next week is my first deload.

I am feeling noticeably more tired than normal, I am finding that at work, I am making many mistakes when I type.

What are the benefits of deloading over taking a complete week to rest/recover?[/quote]
I have read a lot of powerlifting articles. A lot of them take a full week off before a meet. I’ve done this both ways and IMO either way worked. I currently follow 2day a week program 531 and Wendler says in the book that when following 2 days a week to not Deload unless necessary.

Try just doing the basic deload, if you have the Beyond book I believe it’s option 1. Just go to the deload sets, maybe do a set of chin-ups a set of back raises and call it a day, keep the volume very low. I’d also suggest that you review your nutrition and make sure you’re eating adequately to support the level of training you’re doing. Are you getting enough sleep too? Feeling tired can be more than just training fatigue.

Do a deload based on how you feel not what a piece of paper dictates.

Signs of overreaching (which is what we want to aim for)
-Rate of Perceived Exertion is a lot higher (workout that was a 6 now feels like a 9)
-What was a good feeling weight last week now feels real heavy - loss of strength
-nagging minor aches and pains - joint/ligament wear
-energy, focus, well-being etc.

Why deload - blood flow :slight_smile: Do the same workout using 60% of what you were lifting while the volume stays the same.

Some of the best results can be achieved by purposefully overreaching then listening to your body when you’ve come to that point, deloading and allowing supercompensation to occur.

I think taking time off completely is warranted if you are just exhausted of training and need a mental break from the gym. The doing other activities you enjoy may be helpful, like hiking, kayaking… whatever you enjoy.

[quote]Efuchs7 wrote:
Do a deload based on how you feel not what a piece of paper dictates.

Signs of overreaching (which is what we want to aim for)
-Rate of Perceived Exertion is a lot higher (workout that was a 6 now feels like a 9)
-What was a good feeling weight last week now feels real heavy - loss of strength
-nagging minor aches and pains - joint/ligament wear
-energy, focus, well-being etc.

Why deload - blood flow :slight_smile: Do the same workout using 60% of what you were lifting while the volume stays the same.

Some of the best results can be achieved by purposefully overreaching then listening to your body when you’ve come to that point, deloading and allowing supercompensation to occur.[/quote]

I completely agree with this. My best results have always come from completely wearing myself down over a month to 2 months and then taking a deload and coming back to shoot for PRs

[quote]daniel4738 wrote:

What are the benefits of deloading over taking a complete week to rest/recover?[/quote]

You can take a rest when you are dead or on vacation - keep training.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think that my nutrition is pretty good, although with a 2 year old and two jobs sleep is certainly a factor in being tired.

I will compromise and do 2 sessions this week (deload) with no assistance as opposed to my normal 3.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:

[quote]daniel4738 wrote:

That advice stands if you haven’t slept for a night or two in a row? I have horrible insomnia but every now and then have great workouts before I finally crash. My doctor and some friends recommended I don’t workout when sleep deprived, saying that I won’t make gains because my ability to recover is compromised. My gut feeling is to just to get my reps in and prepare for better days.

You can take a rest when you are dead or on vacation - keep training. [/quote]