T Nation

Deload or Contrast Week - Russian Strength-Skill Training

CT,

Would you suggest a Deload or a Contrast week after 3 weeks of Russian S-S?
If yes, how would it look like, e.g. speedwork?

Thanks!

[quote]lcs_bllr wrote:
CT,

Would you suggest a Deload or a Contrast week after 3 weeks of Russian S-S?
If yes, how would it look like, e.g. speedwork?

Thanks![/quote]

No. You do not need to deload during this program, especially not after 3 weeks. In fact VERY few programs REALLY need a deload after 3 weeks.

I did my own modified SS (Same exercises, but I did 6 days a week and no manual labor workout). I deloaded after 8 weeks because I felt I needed it, and only did one cycle deload. Next week I hit lifetime PRs on all 4 exercises.

I am looking foreward to see my PRs grow after being sick for almost a month.

How much did you increase clypher?

Are you doing any accessory work and if yes, what are you doing?

Because I feel like Russian S-S Training alone is a little bit too less and I was wondering what I could add.

CT mentioned ‘Bro Building’ and Back Hypertrophy for not longer than 20 minutes after each session. How about legs?

[quote]Clypher wrote:
I did my own modified SS (Same exercises, but I did 6 days a week and no manual labor workout). I deloaded after 8 weeks because I felt I needed it, and only did one cycle deload. Next week I hit lifetime PRs on all 4 exercises.[/quote]

Yes, 8 week is about right. 8-12 weeks. And I prefer to call it as peak week rather than a deload week… word have power, to me deload, or “easy week” sends the wrong message to your brain (take it easy) whereas “peak” puts you in a more productive mindset.

[quote]lcs_bllr wrote:

Because I feel like Russian S-S Training alone is a little bit too less and I was wondering what I could add.

CT mentioned ‘Bro Building’ and Back Hypertrophy for not longer than 20 minutes after each session. How about legs?[/quote]

You are hitting legs very often. If there is one thing I’d be careful about adding it’s legs. Back and biceps aren’t hit directly much with the program which is why you can more easily add work for them in the program,

[quote]lcs_bllr wrote:

CT mentioned ‘Bro Building’ and Back Hypertrophy for not longer than 20 minutes after each session. How about legs?[/quote]

Choose your program wisely. The Strength-Skill program is just that: a program to increase your strength via neural efficiency. It is not designed to be a hypertrophy program. Use this program if your main goal is to get stronger without adding too much weight. If your goal is to add size it’s not your best option and if you add too much work to turn it into an hypertrophy program you risk making the program less effective overall.

[quote]lcs_bllr wrote:
I am looking foreward to see my PRs grow after being sick for almost a month.

How much did you increase clypher?[/quote]

5-10% across the board. and not only that but they felt GOOD, solid and good form. If i had pumped myself up more or taken more time and had a spotter I am sure I could have squeezed 10-20 pounds more out of all of them. OH and another important part: I was in a (very slight) caloric deficit during the 8 weeks. I ate like a bastard during the deload though.

I usually do a 3RM ramp and sometimes at the peak of it I’ll go down to 1 rep and keep climbing but I used to not make it much past my 3RM. Now I feel like 1R rep sets are a whole new ball game.

edit: the 8 weeks felt EASY. I was worried a bit too easy… but it seems to have worked! haha. I’m going to do 4-6 weeks of 5x5 double progression now as I haven’t trained in that rep range for 8 years on the big lifts… After that I will likely go back to the 1 rep set program with my new maxes.

Thanks for all the answers.

So if the goal is also gaining weigth, what would you rather suggest?
I really want to pack on some muscles but I also want to become strong.

I am really thankful, that there is someone like you CT, thanks for helping me out!

Edit: And also thanks Clypher!

This would be the first week:

(It looks really like a Hypertrophy programm)