T Nation

Deload on Modified 5/3/1 Needed?

Hi guys!

I started doing 5/3/1 for bodybuilding, 4 day split, about a month ago. However, because my previous injury (herniated disc) got worse, i decided to replace squats and deadlifts. Instead of squats i'll be doing leg press (after 3 sets of press i continue doing leg press 5x15 sets since thats the next exercise in the 5/3/1 bodybuilding routine). Instead of deadlifts on the back day i'll be doing a insolation exercises to target the middle and low back (rowing etc.).

Do i still need deloading every 4th week as preacribed in 5/3/1?

Cheers!

Any oppinions on this guys? Would be much appreciated.

I also swapped goodmornings and barbel rows with other exercises coz those one were hurting my back.

Considering you aren't really doing 5/3/1 anymore I wouldnt say you would need a deload, as long as your training maxes are not set too high that is.

Follow the intent of the program.

Or don't.

That you front squat, back squat, zercher squat, smith squat, leg press, hack squat etc is irrelevant. Choose the exercise, follow the program, see results. I do ring presses for my chest, due to shoulder injury and add weight thru angles and weight vests. Shoulder day has no 5/3/1 (see shoulder injury), but I do mobility work and light weights.

Follow the INTENT of the program.

Thanks for that! I think i got your point. I can do only what i can do.

So you reckon i should still deload every fourth week? I train hard every time with the aim of increasing reps or weight.

Do you personally deload every fourth week?

What do you mean shoulder day has no 5/3/1?

Do you eat the same or more during deload week?

Thanks!

yes, every fourth week. Im 47 and don't recoup the same as a 20 year old.

Shoulder: I do not do a 5/3/1 type program on shoulder day (I do the four day split), so instead, I do mobility work only, light weights, stretches, etc

I pretty well eat the same week in, week out. I just make changes (as everyone should) as needed. My macros don't change much overall. Deload is there for a reason and at my age, I love it.

Thanks a lot for that.

I guess it shouldnt harm if i deload every fourth week. Im 32 tho, i hope i wont be slowingdown my progress by deloading.

I also have shoulder issues. Its not a typical injurie, i just cant bench press as much as im dumbell pressing, coz my shoulders hurt. Even when they dont hurt i dumbell press more. Maybe i should just dumbell press i stead.

You seem to be over thinking it. The deloads were made for everyone, it wasn't an age based criteria, you probably will miss out on potential gains by never deloading.
I would say the more likely you are to over think 5/3/1 (or any program) the less you should alter it.

Yeah i guess you r right. I was just wondering if im still supposed to deload every fourth week since i modified 5/3/1.