Deload: How Do You Do It?

Searched and although there’s been plenty of threads debating deload, didn’t see any that actually talked about what each person does during their deload week (or time period). We can pretty much universally agree that for trained, fit people, a deload week is much needed. For some of us, it’s a time to sit back and finally relax from our already busy schedules made busier by our training, but for others, like myself, we know two things- training and sports.

For me, I cut my mileage in half at the very least, use the week as a time to experiment with fun strong-man lifts (at far sub-maximal weights), play soccer, basketball, and go to bboy practice.

So how do YOU deload?

I play basketball too much and too hard to use it as a deload, 6 hours this weekend for a weekend warrior is much. When I deload I’ll go to the gym 2 or 3 times that week, my normal workout cut all the sets in half, run half speed half as much time. I used to use my vacation as a deload week but I notice I would catch a cold every time so I stopped.

I do my DE work on deload week.

My last deload we did stairs up the side of the Niagara Escarpment. It wasn’t relaxing but it was a complete change from lifting.

I do a lot of stretching/mobility work and cut back on volume/intensity dramatically. Usually around 70-75% for a couple sets of 3.

That’s if it’s a true deload, otherwise if I need something easier it’ll just be something around 5x5 @70-75%ish.

I use half the volume or intensity for my first main movement or two and instead of my regular assistance I spend time on the ‘dinky’ exercises that make me feel healthier like cuban presses, wall scaps, one leg bw reverse hypers, good/bad girl machine, just that type of stuff.

I DO NOTHING!!!

I find from previous experience and analysis of what works for me that if I do nothing at all and not set a foot in the gym, I ready, recharged and focused to hit the weights again hard. I have tried “deloading” in the past, but never worked for me. But also note that I am not an elite PL’er either. Just my opinion and what has worked for me.

Would be helpful to know how big/heavy you guys are too…

I was reading one of Tim Henriques and CT’s old articles on here the other day mentioning how bigger guys need more recovery/rest time than smaller guys. This was in the sense of volume in a daily workout I believe, but I have also noticed that I do much better taking deloads than some smaller guys (I’m about 285-290). A lot of people complain about coming back weaker the week after deload–that has never been the case for me. I really enjoy them.

I’ll usually cut my main 5-3-1 sets the way Wendler prescribes and cut my assistance work in half (both reps and sets). So if I was doing 5x10 assistance, I’ll do 3x6-8 or something like that with lighter weights. Just to get some work in and keep the movement pattern fresh.

My deload is whenever I my performance at the gym is lacking. For example, is the day calls for 5x5 @ 120 DB Press and I can barely get 110 up, I know there’s no way I can hit my workout plan so I’ll take it easy and go to buffet after.

Nearly 200lb here.

I do machine only training and stop 2-3 reps short of failure, also take no stims and take a break from supps like beta alanine

I don’t lift at all or take supplements. I tried deloading in the traditional sense but it didn’t seem to make a difference.

I don’t do shit except maybe some mobility work and some very light repetition work. I’m going to try to keep intensity up as high as I can, as close to meet day as I can. I’m thinking a four day deload instead of a full week. I think I’m resting a bit too much, missing that supercompensation period.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

I was reading one of Tim Henriques and CT’s old articles on here the other day mentioning how bigger guys need more recovery/rest time than smaller guys. This was in the sense of volume in a daily workout I believe, but I have also noticed that I do much better taking deloads than some smaller guys (I’m about 285-290). A lot of people complain about coming back weaker the week after deload–that has never been the case for me. I really enjoy them.

I’ll usually cut my main 5-3-1 sets the way Wendler prescribes and cut my assistance work in half (both reps and sets). So if I was doing 5x10 assistance, I’ll do 3x6-8 or something like that with lighter weights. Just to get some work in and keep the movement pattern fresh.[/quote]

I’m a slim 260…and Dropping…LOL

i have a pump day.

305lbs
6 feet tall

I’m a little guy and would say I can recover pretty damn fast. 5’4 138. A week completely off is a bad idea, as is to light of a deload for me. I just did the “deload without the deload” last week and came back refreshed and ready to go. Instead of the standard 531 deload, its 65%, 75%, 85% for 3 reps each instead of 5. Official Website | Jim Wendler - Elite Powerlifter & Strength Coach

Yoga? waits for the boos

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

I’ll usually cut my main 5-3-1 sets the way Wendler prescribes and cut my assistance work in half (both reps and sets). So if I was doing 5x10 assistance, I’ll do 3x6-8 or something like that with lighter weights. Just to get some work in and keep the movement pattern fresh.[/quote]

very good point.

for me swimming and simple things like band pulls, neck work etc… and of course eating. Usually up with carbs (pasta like) and fruits like mango, melon for better hydration. Up with iron supplements also.

6’0 240

btw hello! :slight_smile:

I’ve done the following:

• Going to the gym with reduced percentages as per the 531 protocol every fourth week (I don’t cut sets or reps, but I do reduce by half the weights of my accessory lifts).
  • Taken the whole week off.
  • Run two cycles straight and then deload the 531 way.

I find that after a deload I return to the gym much more motivated, the body is primed to get stronger and harder, but it is also a way to exercise patience in the mind. If you’re addicted to the iron like most of us likely are, then a deload can be a mental challenge, since loading a bar with 135lbs for three sets of five instead of the 275 you nailed the week before can feel kind of off and tempt you to load the bar, you have to allow room for recovery.