Deli Meats

I work about 65 hrs a week. I don’t always have time to do a lot of cooking. I know that because of the preservatives used, deli meats aren’t my best choice, but can someone shed some information on what the drawbacks are? I am not talking about bologna, sausages, etc. The meat I have been buying is Healthy Choice roast beef/chicken/turkey. It has not been ground up and processed, it is an actual cooked roast/breast which I have sliced up.

you cannot go wrong with Boar’s Head Honey Maple Turkey

Of all the deli meats, the Healthy Choice stuff looks best to me. Just make sure you’re reading the labels closely.

They may be real but you never know these days, they can do some pretty amazing (or scary, depending on how you look at it) stuff with meat products these days. Deli meats are often loaded with sodium and other preservatives so watch the labels. I personally would roast my own , then you know is real and can control what goes into it.

Demos is right about checking the label! Around 6 or 7 years
ago Muscle Media 2000 ran an excellent piece covering this
very topic.

Findings: Regular homemade turkey breast yields between 8 to 8.5 grams of protein per ounce, while sliced deli-style turkey breast tends to yield between 5.5 to 6.5. - Homemade roast beef yields slightly over 8 grams of protein per ounce, while deli style tends to yield between 5.5 to 6; how could this be?

If my memory serves me right, they ran tests checking the amino acid profiles of all the top brands of deli meat, and the deli meats "failed miserably!" These tests, however, may have just been dealing with turkey breast. Their conclusion: deli meats are vastly inferior sources of protein, especially for the guy or gal who trains hard!

Note: The additives, preservatives, and gelatins used in the processing of these meats are why they have such poor quality!

Boar’s Head Honey Maple Turkey has:

2 oz serving
70 kcal
2g carbs
.5 g fat
13 g protein

low sodium, potassium…not bad…boar’s head is the best!

I would never go near the stuff. Will all the sodium and nitrates, it’s ridiculous. Plus, they count gelatin in their protein counts. Give me a break. Cook your own. I use the good ole foreman and cook a week’s worth of chicken breast at a time. It’s all about priorities. I work ~65-70 hrs. a week plus spend ~10 hrs /wk. in the airport lugging a cooler around.

Go buy your own pig then take it to the butcher. Or kill the pig and just take some slices off it right there. If those aren’t options I get my sliced ham from behind the counter in the case and have them slice it thinly. Though obviously nothing is the best choice it works for me. Or you can just eat peanut butter.