Deleted

This thread has been deleted

[quote]Justliftbrah wrote:
Got my first ticket today it was a wreckless. I was driving early morning hours on the interstate. There were no other cars out on the road. Was cruising at 90. Trooper told me I might possibly go to jail. [/quote]

Find my thread, I just went through this. I got caught doing 89 in a 55 mph construction zone.

You’re not going to jail unless the trooper takes you there himself at the time of the violation.

Lawyer up and get yourself a sport coat, dress shirt, and a tie.

Best case scenario: trooper doesn’t show up at court and you’re off scott-free.

Worst case scenario: you represent yourself and get found guilty of reckless driving, a misdemeanor. I’m guessing you wouldn’t go to jail, but it’s possible.

Most likely scenario: You pay $300 - $400 for a lawyer who works with the DA every day. You show up on the appointed day, as does the trooper. Your charge gets pled down to 19 over or whatever the cutoff is for a citation. You pay fines and court costs as well as 3 years of higher insurance premiums.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

Got my first ticket today it was a wreckless. I was driving early morning hours on the interstate. There were no other cars out on the road. Was cruising at 90. Trooper told me I might possibly go to jail. [/quote]

Find my thread, I just went through this. I got caught doing 89 in a 55 mph construction zone.

You’re not going to jail unless the trooper takes you there himself at the time of the violation.

Lawyer up and get yourself a sport coat, dress shirt, and a tie.

Best case scenario: trooper doesn’t show up at court and you’re off scott-free.

Worst case scenario: you represent yourself and get found guilty of reckless driving, a misdemeanor. I’m guessing you wouldn’t go to jail, but it’s possible.

Most likely scenario: You pay $300 - $400 for a lawyer who works with the DA every day. You show up on the appointed day, as does the trooper. Your charge gets pled down to 19 over or whatever the cutoff is for a citation. You pay fines and court costs as well as 3 years of higher insurance premiums.
[/quote]

How much should an attorney cost me?

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

Most likely scenario: You pay $300 - $400 for a lawyer…[/quote]

How much should an attorney cost me? [/quote]

Find out what the consequence of pleading guilty at the arraignment is and work accordingly.

Also find out what your chances of actually winning the trial is.

Honestly, I’m not sure how you’ll win if the trooper had to pull you over. I’m sure he would know how fast he had to go to keep up with you…

Edit-
This reminded me that I have to finish traffic school by Dec. somethingish.

It’s fucking Va. bro, just mail it in.

I have done far, far worse, lol.

Some states offer a safe driving course instead of getting the ticket on your record. Apparently you can request it in Virginia.

http://virginia.drivinguniversity.com/speeding-tickets/what-to-do-if-you-got-a-virginia-speeding-ticket

Got my first ticket today it was a wreckless. I was driving early morning hours on the interstate. There were no other cars out on the road. Was cruising at 90. Trooper told me I might possibly go to jail. Btw it was a Virginia State Trooper[/quote]

Doubtful, but it’s worth hiring a lawyer, I would think.

Got my first ticket today it was a wreckless. I was driving early morning hours on the interstate. There were no other cars out on the road. Was cruising at 90. Trooper told me I might possibly go to jail. Btw it was a Virginia State Trooper[/quote]

He was pulling your leg.

I’m totally ignorant of the highway code of any state in the US, but I think I can safely say, he was having fun with you. This of course assumes you didn’t drive over his foot.

FYI. In most states in Oz you would have had your car impounded for being that far over. Your licence would be cancelled for at least 6 months. There are some hefty fines that come along with all of that as well.

I’ve been to jail a few times, and each time it happened there were some warning signs that do not seem to be present in your story.

Being told that I was under arrest was the first clue. Getting handcuffed and then being placed in the back of a police car was another sign of what my night was going to shape up like. The fog continued to lift as we arrived at the jail and I was booked, photographed and fingerprinted. By the time I laid claim to my little patch of the holding cell it had dawned on me…

I’m definitely going to jail. No doubt about it.

[quote]MartyMonster wrote:

FYI. In most states in Oz you would have had your car impounded for being that far over. Your licence would be cancelled for at least 6 months. There are some hefty fines that come along with all of that as well.[/quote]

The more I read, the shittier “Oz” sounds like to live.

I’ve been going 86 in a 55, got pulled over by a State Cop and let go without even a written warning.

According to VA law, reckless driving is not a speeding ticket, it is a class 3 misdemeanor punishable by a possibly hefty fine, up to a year in jail, and loss of license. I don’t recall the exact max fine, but it was decent. Pretty rare that you would get maxed out unless you go into court and literally dare the judge to do it. Cool thing about VA is if you do get jail time, they typically let you serve it on weekends, i.e., surrender yourself on Friday and go home Sunday, and the weekend days count 2 for 1 (don’t ask me why). So yes, even though he didn’t arrest you right then, there is a possibility you could end up in jail.

I had one back in 05, doing 84 in a 45. Showed up to court by myself, and the judge gave me a funny look. ‘Where’s your attorney?’ I blinked and said, ‘I didn’t think I needed one for a speeding ticket.’ ‘Well, considering you are charged with reckless driving, a class 3 misdemeanor punishable by (insert info from above here), would you like a continuance until a later date so you can get one?’

Got an attorney, pretty sure I paid more than $400, and he was a total shyster. Sent me to a specific shop to get my speedo calibrated, insisting I ask for Bob. “Make sure you ask for Bob, and tell him I sent you.” So I went, paid the fee to have it checked, and the guy basically asked me how far off I wanted him to write the speedo. It was an 04.5 Jetta GLI, in early spring of 05, so there was absolutely nothing wrong with it and I wasn’t going to falsify - wouldn’t have made much difference anyway. Attorney tried to make me go back and get it redone, but I told him to stuff it.

Long story short(er), ended up with $125 fine plus court fees, so just under $200. Plus the attorney, so way too much but still better than jail time.

You are most likely not going to jail, the cop would have taken you into custody right then and there if he wanted to.

I got caught going 125mph on my way to Vegas, ironically the same day my Federal probation ended. He gave me a ticket putting my speed at 99mph, anything over 100 would be reckless driving and boost the fine way up.

Worst case I see for you, a big fine and your car insurance jumps for a couple years.

I’m a lawyer but I practice in CA, but these kinds of things are fairly similar from state to state. Highly likely you won’t go to jail. The penal codes always give some idea of jail time for crimes, but because of prison crowding and budget issues they try to reserve jail for more heinous crimes. For someone who just drives fast (assuming no accidents or injuries) the judge would never give jail time, even if the prosecutor asks for it. You are probably looking at a fine.

Several posters above got it rights You can hire a lawyer and hope they can negotiate a lower charge, or go alone and hope the officer does not show up. They have to drop the case because of lack of prosecution if the officer does not show up. Good luck!

He’ll probably show up in court, FYI. If it’s anything like Chicago, traffic court is really important for coppers because they can get in trouble if they are a no-show (unless they call ahead for being sick, being on furlough, etc). For some reason, it’s more important to show up for traffic court than misdemeanor/felony court. Every state is different, though. Get a lawyer for the court date… maybe if the officer finds out he has to testify, he may tell the ASA “I do not recall”, and he can get his overtime and leave.

Federal “pound me in the ass” prison for you.

I was clocked at 102 on the freeway. Got a $627 ticket and that was it. In Cali, Ventura County. Officer did not mention jail or court at all. He did tap me on the shoulder and said:“This is NOT going to be cheap”. True dat.

Dude no its traffic you are not going to jail dont be lame. Get a traffic lawer see if you can get it knocked down a bit. Also get as many continiaunces as possible theres a good chance the cop wont show for court and you walk. Done this plenty of times ez pz

the state of Virginia was named after Queen Elizabeth I, who was known as the ’ Virgin Queen’, and the last of the Tudor to rule England since she left no heir to the throne.

She was the daughter of Henry VIII from Anne Boleyn - If you remember, This was the reason that England departed from the church of Rome, since Henry’s previous wife could not conceive he wanted a divorce - Rome would not sanction the divorce, so Henry started the Church of England -divorced his wife, and had kids with the Boleyn girls - huge scandal at the time -

Whether or not she was an actual virgin is up for debate. She had many courtiers and had a special relationship with King Phillip of Spain and also with Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester -

so…you should’t speed while in the state of Virginia~

Hey man, you can’t leave us all hanging on the edge of our seats like this:

We’re all waiting to find out who it was.

Edited