Dehydrated Milk for Protein?

Has anyone heard of using dehydrated lowfat milk as a replacement for casein protein powder? I ran into a guy that’s been lifting for 19years + that claimed to have been doing this and seeing good results. Has anyone tried it? Any thoughts on it?

It seems like it’s too good to be true, and not knowing very much about either would like to get some thoughts on this.

It’s called powdered milk in these parts and it’s not unlike regular milk.

The dehydration is just a preservation method.

If you’re considering taking it for it’s protein content then you should stick to casein.

Did this guy recently start implementing this or has he been doing it for quit some time?.. Chances are he would have seen those “good results” from just drinking regular milk.

I know someone who eats eggs and gets good results too. Should I eat them?

By the way, milk protein IS casein!

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
By the way, milk protein IS casein![/quote]

And whey.

[quote]KyleT wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
By the way, milk protein IS casein![/quote]

And whey.[/quote]

Yeah.

I would think mixing powdered milk with liquid milk would give you a respectable amount of casein per glass. I guess it would be more of a money thing. I dont see anything wrong with it, but someone more knowledgeable than me might know something I dont.

[quote]Muscles297 wrote:
I would think mixing powdered milk with liquid milk would give you a respectable amount of casein per glass. I guess it would be more of a money thing. I dont see anything wrong with it, but someone more knowledgeable than me might know something I dont.[/quote]

Skim Plus is skim milk with added skim milk powder. Or just concentrate the thing yourself with water and the powder.

[quote]Muscles297 wrote:
I would think mixing powdered milk with liquid milk would give you a respectable amount of casein per glass. I guess it would be more of a money thing. I dont see anything wrong with it, but someone more knowledgeable than me might know something I dont.[/quote]

You start mixing powdered milk with liquid pasteurized milk = get ready to be a nebula.

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]Muscles297 wrote:

You start mixing powdered milk with liquid pasteurized milk = get ready to be a nebula.[/quote]

Oh yeah? Why is that?

[quote]Muscles297 wrote:

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]Muscles297 wrote:

You start mixing powdered milk with liquid pasteurized milk = get ready to be a nebula.[/quote]

Oh yeah? Why is that?[/quote]

Normal homogenized/pasteurized milk is tough to digest as it is without adding more potency to it with powder.
Homogenization makes the particles in milk too small to assimilate in the digestive tract ( = nebula)
Pasteurization kills all the good enzymes normally in milk that make it easy to digest ( = nebula)

What’s more, processed milk is a huge insulin releaser - get ready for acne and or bodyfat gain.

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]Muscles297 wrote:

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]Muscles297 wrote:

Oh yeah? Why is that?[/quote]

Normal homogenized/pasteurized milk is tough to digest as it is without adding more potency to it with powder.
Homogenization makes the particles in milk too small to assimilate in the digestive tract ( = nebula)
Pasteurization kills all the good enzymes normally in milk that make it easy to digest ( = nebula)

What’s more, processed milk is a huge insulin releaser - get ready for acne and or bodyfat gain.[/quote]

Good to know, thanks man. So I guess to the OP, stick with casein powder then.

Yea I suppose so… The guy I was talking to had been doing the dehydrated milk thing for about 10 years and I have no idea how much fat gain/acne he saw as he used it. As far as I know he would mix it in with a water base with his whey protein and egg whites. He’s a pretty decent size - about 5’7 and 205 give or take a few. But I think his line of thought was that the nutritional breakdown of the powdered milk he gets is the exact same as most casein powders minus the BCAA’s and whatever other flavorings/micronutrients that they put into the casein powder.

I didn’t read most of the thread, but…

I’ve read of lots of old school BBers who would mix evaporated milk into regular milk (liquid milk) in order to up the protein content. Sort of a forerunner to modern day protein powders.

S

[quote]GVkid wrote:
But I think his line of thought was that the nutritional breakdown of the powdered milk he gets is the exact same as most casein powders minus the BCAA’s and whatever other flavorings/micronutrients that they put into the casein powder.[/quote]
Um, maybe I’m being thick here, but I would assume that the “nutritional breakdown” of powdered milk would be the same as, you know, actual liquid milk - loaded with sugar (lactose).

Yeah, I’ve got a can of milk powder/evaporated full cream milk right here. It’s roughly the same nurtrional breakdown as normal milk, with about 3g less lactose per 250ml.

Adding milk powder to a glass of milk seems pointless, just have two glasses of milk and be done with it.

just drink regular milk, dried milk is vile.

And as for a comparison with a good protein powder: Dried milk has more sugar in it than it does protein (52 g lactose per 36 g protein.)

I also doubt that it solubilizes as well as a good protein powder.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
And as for a comparison with a good protein powder: Dried milk has more sugar in it than it does protein (52 g lactose per 36 g protein.)

I also doubt that it solubilizes as well as a good protein powder.[/quote]

Solubilizes:) is that a real word? dissolves perhaps?

correct spelling is solubilized