Dehydrated After Big Meals

After I eat big meals I get really thirsty, regardless of how much I drank with the meal. Anytime I eat a lot of food in one sitting, I always feel dehydrated, and I have to have a bottle of water to carry around so I can drink and refill it over and over.

Is this normal? Maybe its because of all the salt??

Do you piss very frequently? Are you diabetic?

No, I’m not diabetic. And yeah, if I drink a lot of water then I piss more.

I just noticed that after big meals I am really thirsty and feel like I need to drink a ton of water. I drink water regularly throughout the day anyway, but after a meal I drink more, and continue to drink for like an hour or so. Probably like 20-32 oz after a meal, maybe more/less. That is, if I have a bottle with me to fill.

I don’t know, not big deal. Just something I noticed, wondering if anybody had an answer or similar experiences.

Do these meals contain a good amount of carbs?? If so then you need the water. Glycogen is stored along with H2O I beleive its 2 g water per g of glycogen.

Hope that helps,
Phill

[quote]TravisCS84 wrote:
After I eat big meals I get really thirsty, regardless of how much I drank with the meal. Anytime I eat a lot of food in one sitting, I always feel dehydrated, and I have to have a bottle of water to carry around so I can drink and refill it over and over.

Is this normal? Maybe its because of all the salt?? [/quote]

1. What is a big meal to you?
  2. All the salt? How much is that?

Salt will make you thirsty and dehydrated, that is a given. And food will dehydrated you as well. I would not suggest drinking too much with a meal, because it will dilute your stomach acid and you will not digest it as well. After you have started to digest though (like 20 min after) I would start into the water. I can feel dehydration coming on after a meal, or even a snack, but as long as I drink plenty of water in-between meals, I’m perfect. Also, I avoid salt and caffeine completely. They are both tough on the liver and salt will make you retain water and look soft.

That’s my 2 cents.

McB

Same thing with me, get real thirsty after a big meal.