Degrees that Pay?

Right now I am going to school for Business Administration. I want to focus in marketing and eventually get an MBA in marketing. But I am not sure were this will land me? Dead end jobs not doing what I imagined? (Which is advertising products, and generating sales ect…)

My ideal goal would be to find a job that leads to a salary of $45,000 starting out… With advancement opportunities leading up into the range of $75,000 a year… But I also want to become a nutritionist.

I don’t want to work for a school, hospital or any of that shit. I would prefer to consult individuals and asses their goals, and then provide them with a plan to meet those goals. But I’m not even sure what something like that is called? Nutritionist consultant? Dietitian? Also is that just a side gig to those jobs or is that your sole responsibility?

I’ve also heard that the pay in that field is very low. With minimal advancement, unless you dump the passion and go into pharmaceutical sales… Anyone have advice on this?

I’m no authority on the matter but I’ve heard MBA degrees are a dime a dozen, kind of a gimmick people get just to throw on their resume so they ultimately aren’t worth a whole lot.

Assuming you have electives or something why not try taking some biology or nutritional science classes and see how you like them, then decide from there if you want to switch majors?

I doubt you will end up having a dead end job with an MBA. I have no idea what the job market is like in Pennsylvania, but you’d start at minimum $60,000 here. Considering you normally have to have work experience to get the MBA, it’s likely that you’d start closer to $75,000.

If I were you, I would get the MBA, while doing a lot of nutrition research on your own. Take biology/neuroscience classes if necessary, but the internet should be fine.

Alright cool. Also if I were to pursue the marketing side of getting the MBA what would that entail? As in I would end up finding ways to promote a product, and get it out to the public right? It is also usually a ‘team’ job correct? Working with a group of CoWorkers to try and drive the product to success? As that is what I want to do…

As for the nutrition on the side, sounds like it would work, I mean do I really need a degree to give people plans? or would that just require a license if I were to say, open my own firm?

[quote]Thomas Gabriel wrote:
I doubt you will end up having a dead end job with an MBA. I have no idea what the job market is like in Pennsylvania, but you’d start at minimum $60,000 here. Considering you normally have to have work experience to get the MBA, it’s likely that you’d start closer to $75,000.

If I were you, I would get the MBA, while doing a lot of nutrition research on your own. Take biology/neuroscience classes if necessary, but the internet should be fine. [/quote]

You fail to mention that you live in alberta where there is a HUGE boom and even tim hortons (coffee shop) workers are making 60,000 a year.

Would it be much less than that anywhere else? Also whats the demand for the job?

MBA’s are great and having a higher educational degree always looks good so I say go for it. America is the land of opportunity and as long as you work harder than the guy next to you something will come along. I am an Engineer so maybe things could be a little different.

[quote]calibreeze wrote:
Right now I am going to school for Business Administration. I want to focus in marketing and eventually get an MBA in marketing. But I am not sure were this will land me? Dead end jobs not doing what I imagined? (Which is advertising products, and generating sales ect…)

My ideal goal would be to find a job that leads to a salary of $45,000 starting out… With advancement opportunities leading up into the range of $75,000 a year… But I also want to become a nutritionist.

I don’t want to work for a school, hospital or any of that shit. I would prefer to consult individuals and asses their goals, and then provide them with a plan to meet those goals.

But I’m not even sure what something like that is called? Nutritionist consultant? Dietitian? Also is that just a side gig to those jobs or is that your sole responsibility?

I’ve also heard that the pay in that field is very low. With minimal advancement, unless you dump the passion and go into pharmaceutical sales… Anyone have advice on this?[/quote]

This is one of the most scatterbrained posts I’ve ever seen.

[quote]calibreeze wrote:
Would it be much less than that anywhere else? Also whats the demand for the job?[/quote]

Usually a Timmies worker makes roughly 7-10$/hr(minimum wage) depending on what province they work in. Alberta is the boom province, basically has a shortage of workers to fill alot of open positions and so people are willing to pay extra to fill those positions.

A trade here gets automatic work, a friend of mine is a 3rd class power engineer(a year out of school) and made enough last year that he bought a house, a super diesel truck that is just massive and a viper.

[quote]dennis3k wrote:
calibreeze wrote:
Would it be much less than that anywhere else? Also whats the demand for the job?

Usually a Timmies worker makes roughly 7-10$/hr(minimum wage) depending on what province they work in. Alberta is the boom province, basically has a shortage of workers to fill alot of open positions and so people are willing to pay extra to fill those positions.

A trade here gets automatic work, a friend of mine is a 3rd class power engineer(a year out of school) and made enough last year that he bought a house, a super diesel truck that is just massive and a viper. [/quote]

Whoa fuck that must be a lot of money. Is he an actual engineer or a technician? (AKA, did he go to uni or college?)

[quote]calibreeze wrote:
I would prefer to consult individuals and asses their goals, and then provide them with a plan to meet those goals.[/quote]

Here is a good place for asses, or to assess asses:
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sex_girls_pictures_hot_pics_photo_women/the_ass_worship_thread_version_20

[quote]JLu wrote:
dennis3k wrote:
calibreeze wrote:

A trade here gets automatic work, a friend of mine is a 3rd class power engineer(a year out of school) and made enough last year that he bought a house, a super diesel truck that is just massive and a viper.

Whoa fuck that must be a lot of money. Is he an actual engineer or a technician? (AKA, did he go to uni or college?)[/quote]

He works at a power plant…he took a one year power engineering course…kinda makes me wish I had gone that way and said screw university sometimes. I’ve also got friends that barely have their highschool making bundles of money, mind you they work 15 hour days for 21 on and the 7 off.

[quote]calibreeze wrote:

I don’t want to work for a school, hospital or any of that shit. I would prefer to consult individuals and asses their goals, and then provide them with a plan to meet those goals. But I’m not even sure what something like that is called? Nutritionist consultant? Dietitian? Also is that just a side gig to those jobs or is that your sole responsibility?

I’ve also heard that the pay in that field is very low. With minimal advancement, unless you dump the passion and go into pharmaceutical sales… Anyone have advice on this?[/quote]

Getting a marketing degree, it is 95% chance that go into sales coming out of college. Not every sales job is as glamorous as pharmaceutical sales and getting a pharma job is near impossible now because most pharma companies are laying off big time…

If you don’t think sales is going to be your cup of tea, I would recommend getting an internship in a field/company you would be interested in working for after you graduate. You will have a better chance of getting a straight marketing job with a company that is already familiar with you. In my experience, a product marketing job is tough to land.

Not to burst your bubble, but in the business world you will have a hard time being a “consultant” because you have no real world experience. These are usually people with AT LEAST 10+ years of experience.

An MBA is only as good as the name of the college your get your degree from. Unless you are going to a Top 25 MBA program, I would say save your money. Getting accepted into one of these programs is EXTREMELY competitive. Something like 1 applicant out of 250 gets accepted.

Not 100% sure but nutritionists don’t make a lot of money and there is not a whole lot of room for growth unless you have your own business or a nutritionist for high profile clients.

I speak from experience, I have a marketing degree and have applied to MBA programs.

[quote]Split wrote:
Thomas Gabriel wrote:

If I were you, I would get the MBA, while doing a lot of nutrition research on your own. Take biology/neuroscience classes if necessary, but the internet should be fine.

You fail to mention that you live in alberta where there is a HUGE boom and even tim hortons (coffee shop) workers are making 60,000 a year.[/quote]

what a crock of shit, i live here, tim hortons workers dont make 60k.

I suggest a music degree. Definitely some money in that.

[quote]boyscout wrote:
I suggest a music degree. Definitely some money in that.[/quote]

Combine that with a sociology degree and you’re golden.

Ya unless you see yourself doing sales, getting an actually marketing position is going to be difficult at the kind of place people tend to apply to. There are marketing jobs that alot of people don’t pay much attention to.

Sales is not a bad gig though. It teaches you some of the basic principles of actual business that colleges tend to not mention. MBA programs are more suited for those who have work experience. I have done the research. Have you thought of public relations at all? It deals with many similar aspects of marketing and the networking is fantastic. I’m with someone right now who’s PR director has a connection with everyone in town. Not a real big area but its got a couple large employers in it.
Good Luch either way.

Why are you going after a Business degree if you want to be a nutritional consultant? My advice is get an undergrad degree in something you want, then work for at least 2-3 years before going for a masters degree. This doesn’t apply to applied physical sciences, law school or med school.

DB

[quote]
You fail to mention that you live in alberta where there is a HUGE boom and even tim hortons (coffee shop) workers are making 60,000 a year.[/quote]

Yeah, but the trade off for that is that you have to live in Fort McMurray. I’d rather live in “Mordor” from Lord of the Rings than live in Fort McMurray.