DeFranco's Westside Template

I am going to start this on monday, I have a couple of questions to ask first though.

Why does Joe always like to have one of the following in his programme, atleast once a week?:
rear delt flyes
seated DB power cleans
Kneeling scarecrows

Obviously Joe DeFranco knows what he’s talking about, but I have never had these in a programme before.

Also, what is the need of having DB lateral raises, I have done this exercise before, but what will this add to my lifting, or health?

That would be why they’re there. There’s a serious lack of rear delt/scapular retraction work in most people’s programs, so Joe is trying to head off the problem before it affects his skinny bastards.

Joe has a lot of issues with his shoulders, that’s why he’s so cautious about overhead pressing and diligent with rear delt work.

[quote]
Why does Joe always like to have one of the following in his programme, atleast once a week?:
rear delt flyes
seated DB power cleans
Kneeling scarecrows

Obviously Joe DeFranco knows what he’s talking about, but I have never had these in a programme before. [/quote]

They’re in there to help build up muscle in the upper back, and to balance out the pressing in the program.

They help strengthen your shoulders, which may help you lift more weight in the bigger movements.

Thanks for the help, I check Joe’s training log on his baseball player on elitefts, i think it’s steve.

I see he does a lot of shoulder work for him, rotation work etc. Is this to specifically because he’s a baseball player. As I am just trying to improve my strength- bench and squat.

Will it be alright doing DB power cleans once a week, and DB lateral raises once a week. Or should rear delts/upper back be hit twice a week?

[quote]rowe wrote:
Thanks for the help, I check Joe’s training log on his baseball player on elitefts, i think it’s steve.

I see he does a lot of shoulder work for him, rotation work etc. Is this to specifically because he’s a baseball player. As I am just trying to improve my strength- bench and squat.

Will it be alright doing DB power cleans once a week, and DB lateral raises once a week. Or should rear delts/upper back be hit twice a week?[/quote]

According to WSFSBIII, you superset one heavier pulling movement (rows, chins, lat pulls, etc.) with one of the rear delt/upper back movements in each upper body workout (2x per week). Then, only on the RE Upper day do you do the lateral raises or military presses.

Example:

ME Upper

A. Bench: work up to 1rm

B. Supplemental DB bench: bunch of reps for a couple sets

Superset
C1. Cable Row: 4x12 (or whatever)
C2. DB power cleans: same as above, or different. Up to you

Then do the rest of the workout.

RE Upper

A. Pushups: Bunch of reps

Superset
B1. Chins: 4x10
B2. Rear laterals: 4x12

THEN

C. Side laterals: 3x15

Then do the rest of the workout.

If you’re still having trouble, print out WSFSBIII because it can be a little hard to follow when read off the computer.

Ye, I understand.
I’ll be starting this on monday!

How often should I change power cleans, and rear delt flyes about. Every few week?

Are the side laterals just to prevent injury?
I ask this, because it’s hard to progress weight on this exercises, so does 3 sets of 15 just prevent injury later on in life?

[quote]rowe wrote:

Are the side laterals just to prevent injury?
I ask this, because it’s hard to progress weight on this exercises, so does 3 sets of 15 just prevent injury later on in life?[/quote]

The side laterals are there to help even out any imbalances in shoulder development, so yeah injury prevention is one way to put it.

There’s other ways you can progress on the movement besides adding weight. You can do more reps, more sets, slow down the movement, basically anything to make the experience more difficult.

You can also choose different apparatus, like bands or cable machines. Military presses are also a substitute per WSFSBIII.

Thanks, you’re very knowledgeable, are you a DeFranco Disciple?

I look forward to getting very good results from this programme over the next 6-8 weeks, then add some sprints in as well.

The future’s bright, long live Defranco.