T Nation

Defranco Training

hey guys. Names Mike. Just wanted to introduce myself and let me metion that this site has some amazing information. My question is about my training and if it is correct or if you know how you could make it better please feel free to comment.

Max effort upper body: 3 board press working up to 5rm for 2 weeks. Then to 3rm for 2 weeks. Then I swich ME excercise. Should it be changed with more variety?
Tricep death: 3 sets of 20 total reps
seated db power cleans: 3 sets 10 reps
bent over laterals: 3 sets 10-12 reps
lat pulldown: 3 sets 10 reps
superset with
traps: db shurgs 3 sets 10-12 reps

max effort lowerbody

deadlifts: work up to 3 rm and same cycle applys as max effort upper body.
box step ups: 3 sets 8-10 reps
leg curls: 3 sets 10-12 reps
ab circit

rep upper body

db floor press: 3 sets of 12-15 reps(should it be less and can it be less? Also I do 15 when I do 5rm and 12 when I do 3 rpm.)
db shoulder press: 3 sets 12 reps
bent over latarels: 3 sets 10 reps
db triceps extensions: 3 sets about 12 reps
barbell shurgs: 3sets of 8-10 reps
superset with
cable rows: 3 sets 10 reps

Dynamic lowerbody

8 sets of jumping on box
barbell lunges: 3 sets 10-12 reps
goodmornings: 3 sets 10 reps
weighed abs: 15-20 reps

So that is my training. Please if you can make it even a little better please help. I am skeptable about 15 reps on floor press but on the defranco site it says about that many reps or is that just for people that just started to work out? If so should I do less reps on supplemental and rep upper body? Is the cycling ok? Maybe is should change the board press to deffernt sizes?

No do it as noted, you can go down to maybe 8-12 reps on the floor presses. Going any lower on reps and heavier makes it real tough to get in proper position and defeats the purpose of getting in a good upper range needed for hypertrophy.

Also you should do a max effort exercise for 3-4 weeks striaght, then switch it up and come back to that exercise later and try to beat prs. This way you hit that exercise hard for 3-4 weeks and try something else. Yet always come back to a previous exercise you did and do your best to smash that previous record.

Don't be skeptical about anything. Do it as written as you train more and more you'll learn what works for you then you can do some "tweaks".

Understand one thing as long as you follow a decently structured routine with the basics and outline of progression on effective exercises that work for you the best. Given you eat enough, you will make gains in strength/size. Consistency is key, give it a go for a couple months. I think you'll enjoy it once you work out how everything works.

Also when doing your max effort exercises make sure you ramp up to your target weight. You should be putting in at least 4-5 warm up sets before you hit that last max effort set hard. None of your warmups should be taken to failure.

For instance if I was ramping up to 325 in deadlifts. I'd go something like 135X8, 225X5, 250X5, 275X3, 300X3, then I'd do 325 balls to wall and shoot for target rep # or more.

If you're doing your max effort work and you hit target reps and you feel you can do more by all means go until your form is close to breaking. Then just add more weight next time.

Thank you but I thought that doing something like 10-12 reps induced hypertrophy? Also I saw a video of two guys of DeFranco I forgot their names but one is a lineman and the other a fullback doing db incline for like 7 reps. Was that a max effort excercise? You might not know but what would you think?

Also does my max effort cycle of doing 5 rm and then 3 rm sound ok?

You know what when the video cam is rolling regardless if it's a bodybuilder or an athlete most will do their best and put on a show :D.

6-15 reps will put on size, just depends on progression and how much you eat. Some gain better in 8-15 some lower say around 6. This is why you train consistently and find what works best for you. In the grand scheme of things just mainly worry about progressing in weight/reps OK!!

Unless you have a good spotter/partner nearby it can be real draining kicking up heavy dumbbells. That's why I usually will try do weights I can get higher reps with.

Don't over analyze tempos, rep schemes and all that. If you get an obsessive compulsive disorder about this shit you might as well pick up bird watching or tennis not lifting.

Yeah 3-5 reps for max effort is k. Stop asking questions and go lift and eat.