T Nation

DeFranco Program, Choose Squats or Deadlifts?

On Joe DeFranco's Built like a badass program he has prescribes one lower body day. He makes you decide between a Squat or Deadlift. I'm curious if that varies week to week or to Stick with one lower body movement throughout the 12 weeks? Here is a Sample: https://www.T-Nation.com/training/defrancos-training-rules-for-washed-up-meatheads .

If I do have to choose between Squat or Deadlift I have no idea what to do that is going to be a tough choice!

“All we need is a main lower body exercise that you can go heavy on. Some people are built to squat because they have the right leverages. Some guys like to pull heavy stuff off the ground. Doesn’t matter to me.”

I see two options:

1. Alternate between squats and deadlifts every week (week 1: squat, week 2: deadlift, week 3: squat etc).
  2. Personally, I would pick squats if I HAD to focus on one of the two. This, however, is a choice which, as Joe says, you have to make yourself. You wouldn’t post on a forum ask what to eat for dinner, right?

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
“All we need is a main lower body exercise that you can go heavy on. Some people are built to squat because they have the right leverages. Some guys like to pull heavy stuff off the ground. Doesn’t matter to me.”

I see two options:

1. Alternate between squats and deadlifts every week (week 1: squat, week 2: deadlift, week 3: squat etc).
  2. Personally, I would pick squats if I HAD to focus on one of the two. This, however, is a choice which, as Joe says, you have to make yourself. You wouldn’t post on a forum ask what to eat for dinner, right?[/quote]

Yeah I was thinking of going with first option alternating weekly, and that is true I just wanted to hear peoples opinions.

Dead squat.

Could just be my leverages. But I’ve been really focusing on the back squat lately (last couple of months), and it’s had a really positive effect on my pull. I can’t say the opposite has shown to be true.

[quote]JFG wrote:
Dead squat.[/quote]

Great movement

[quote]TX iron wrote:
Could just be my leverages. But I’ve been really focusing on the back squat lately (last couple of months), and it’s had a really positive effect on my pull. I can’t say the opposite has shown to be true.[/quote]

Yeah I hate when I have to focus on one I was thinking of alternating weekly.

[quote]TX iron wrote:
Could just be my leverages. But I’ve been really focusing on the back squat lately (last couple of months), and it’s had a really positive effect on my pull. I can’t say the opposite has shown to be true.[/quote]

I honestly think that the deadlift requires less practice. In a squat, you balance a heavy weight on top of your shoulders while sinking down into a position that necessitates decent hip mobility. With a deadlift, you have much more leeway.

[quote]lionhearted721 wrote:

[quote]TX iron wrote:

Yeah I hate when I have to focus on one I was thinking of alternating weekly. [/quote]

More fun this way too haha.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]TX iron wrote:

I honestly think that the deadlift requires less practice. In a squat, you balance a heavy weight on top of your shoulders while sinking down into a position that necessitates decent hip mobility. With a deadlift, you have much more leeway.
[/quote]

Good call. I guess what a person gets out of a movement really depends on what they’re able to put in.

[quote]JFG wrote:
Dead squat.[/quote]

Outstanding answer. This will carry over incredibly well to both lifts.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
[/quote]

I actually think this is a fairly smart observation for non-powerlifters. Anecdotally, the leverages and such involved in squatting and DLing seem to suit people toward one or the other. I’m sure this will inspire rage from powerlifters, who will emphasize that if you have proper form for both then there shouldn’t be any trouble, but I just generally don’t find that to be the case in folks.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]JFG wrote:
Dead squat.[/quote]

Outstanding answer. This will carry over incredibly well to both lifts.[/quote]

I wish there was a local strongman gym near me! What would be your personal way of approaching this?

[quote]TX iron wrote:

[quote]TX iron wrote:

Yeah I hate when I have to focus on one I was thinking of alternating weekly. [/quote]

[/quote]

True I just wonder how the strength increases will happen if I alternate weekly.

[quote]TX iron wrote:

[quote]TX iron wrote:

[/quote]

True I just wonder how the strength increases will happen if I alternate weekly.
[/quote]

They will still come. Is that a sufficient answer?

[quote]JFG wrote:
Dead squat.[/quote]

Outstanding answer. This will carry over incredibly well to both lifts.[/quote]

I wish there was a local strongman gym near me! What would be your personal way of approaching this? [/quote]

My local strongman gym is my garage, haha. I feel like I’m the only strongman on central coast CA sometimes.

I truthfully think the deadlift proper is a pretty crummy exercise for size and strength. If I were to run this program, I’d keep the lower body day entirely squat focused for the ME movement (alternating things like squats, front squats, safety squat bar squats, box squats, etc) and work on my hip hinging as bodybuilding work. On your upper body days, I’d have a mat/rack pull in place of the shrugs to develop the upperback AND the pulling mechanics of the deadlift, and I’d just keep hammering the upper back otherwise. That should still build a strong deadlift AND a strong squat/lower body.

Training only 3 days a week really kind of limits things, but it could still work.

Thanks bro, I really like the layout of this program but any other programs I just look over before I commit ?

Thanks bro, I really like the layout of this program but any other programs I just look over before I commit ? [/quote]

What are you training for?

I’m not the biggest fan of programs, but some are based on some sound principles that are easy to work with.

Thanks bro, I really like the layout of this program but any other programs I just look over before I commit ? [/quote]

What are you training for?

I’m not the biggest fan of programs, but some are based on some sound principles that are easy to work with.[/quote]

Pretty much I want to train to get Big and Strong, not playing any sports atm or thinking of competing in any events. I want to enjoy my training over a 3-day split and be able to use my strength for work. I just want a solid plan before I commit to anything. Would value your opinion.

If I am not mistaken, been a while since Ive seen the program, but I think the progression for the program is 4,3,2,1 deload, 4,3,2,1, deload and then peak at 12 weeks or something in that nature. And I am pretty sure it is percentage based. I think it would better just to stick with one exercise. I think he wants you to get acclimated to handling heavier loads week after week with one exercise. Plus with the percentages he wants you do something like 80% at 4 reps and if you squat 315 you are doing 250-255 then after two weeks you do 90% for 2 reps at 280-285 lbs. That is kinda of a large jump in weights if you do every other week.

This might not be your problem but I always seem to have problem if I go 2 weeks without doing my main lifts that I cant seem to get into rhythm as easy and I seem to be a little more off than I should.

Plus you bought the program liking his programming, so why are questioning him? Just follow the program.