Defining a Good BF for My Sport

[quote]xxxwtfxxx wrote:
165StateChamp wrote:
My school’s 103 lber had a bf percentage in the 4 percent range, and he had to take supplements to gain fat otherwise he wasn’t allowed to cut weight. So make sure you don’t go too low haha. Are you going to cut to 189 or bulk to properly fit 215? The heavier you are, the more leeway you get with the bf percentages. I think my school’s 171 was 7 percent and the 189 was 12. So if your at 10, you’re looking good.

i want to bulk up to 240 by age 18 mostly muscle with 10-15 bf percentage.what does leeway mean lol?[/quote]

Leeway is like this:

If you’re a 135 lber and you have 15 % bf, you’re probably not very good, unless you’re very good technically.

If you’re a heavyweight and you have 20 % bf, noone gives a shit because you’re so big that it doesn’t matter.

The bigger you are, the less it matters how high your bf percentage is.

You ought to be able to make 240 by the age of 18. But you don’t have that much time now, so you should probably go 189.

[quote]xxxwtfxxx wrote:

i think ill manage to gain weight even in season i try to eat big meals every two hours.
[/quote]

no offense man, but its DAMN hard to gain weight, especially if you arent cutting anything. your body is constantly putting out energy and with just one wrestling practice your caloric output is ridiculous, especially if youre at a lean 10%. add in the extra lifting and running that comes with wrestling season and there is no caloric surplus. to gain any weight youd have to eat completely calorie dense foods with most likely a ton of junk food thrown in and your body would feel like shit, and your wrestling would affect it. trust me.

go to 189 this season. itll be an easy cut. go up to 225-230 next season and wrestle at 215. then get to 245+ while staying in great shape and be an undersized but quick and technically proficient heavyweight.

[quote]xxxwtfxxx wrote:
HolyMacaroni wrote:
xxxwtfxxx wrote:

i want to bulk up to 240 mostly muscle with 10-15 bf percentage.

lol, dont we all

its more than possible you just gotta eat a shit-load lmao.[/quote]

thanks for the tip. i’ll work on that.

lol

I can understand worrying about body fat for wrestling but not for football…at 6’3" and 200 pounds your probably pretty lean and dont have much to worry about, im 6’1’ 215 pounds and i am fairly lean. Im probably between 8% and 12% body fat and thats probably about where you want to be right now. If your wanting to get up to 240 and be in shape you need to start eating big meals every ten minutes lol not eery 2 hours. You’ll probably have to get up above 250 and then lean up in order to see 240ish.

To answer the OP, a higher bf% is never good (the only sport in which it can help is swimming due its it buoyancy). Everyone has enough fat that they wont run out of calories during exercise. You have enough glycogen in your muscles and liver to get you through the vast majority of sports, and unless you plan to exercise for days on end without replenishing your calories you will not run out of fat to burn for energy.

i think more fat might hel you in football, cuz it dont hurt me and your gonna be a linemen with that size and strenght unless you run like a 5 flat. so if your gonna be a linemen, just bulk up and stay in shape

in wreslting you want to be as strong as you can in as low a weight class you can. if your still 200 by winter, then try to drop down to 189 if thats your 180’s weight class

[quote]G87 wrote:
9.3145%.

Whatever happened to seeing what works best for YOU?[/quote]

I concur…

You are still young and have the time to see what best suits your body type, metabolism, recovery abilities, and the positions/types of sports you play. Don’t sweat the small stuff. Eat healthy and train/play hard. Good luck!

FYI: I myself have fluctuated between 70kg to 94kg with 5% - 11% BF over the past 19 yearsâ?¦ all depending on my current duty, mission area, and training requirements and/or routine.

What kind of forty time do you run? If you are a fast guy don’t worry about the weight gain. If you are not that fast start sprint training today. If you wish to be a lineman bulking up to 240lbs may be the right course but if you are looking at other positions get faster before you get bigger.

Blue chip recruits aren’t necessarily bigger than many other players in the nation but they are typically faster, stronger, and much more skilled at their position than 90% of the other kids that play ball. If you want to be an athlete shorten your time in the weightroom and focus on major lifts and get your butt on the field to work on skills. I’ve seen a lot of 20-22 year old gym rats that could rep out on 225# better than football players at the NFL combine.

This alone should tell you that it ain’t all in the weightroom. Most recently at the combine a 240# tight end ran a 4.5 something forty time and benched 225# fewer than 20 reps.

A guy from my state benched 340# as a college senior, outside linebacker. When I was his age I benched 470# raw. He plays in the NFL I do not. Get some speed and some skills and play ball.

[quote]brauny96 wrote:
i think more fat might hel you in football, cuz it dont hurt me and your gonna be a linemen with that size and strenght unless you run like a 5 flat. so if your gonna be a linemen, just bulk up and stay in shape

in wreslting you want to be as strong as you can in as low a weight class you can. if your still 200 by winter, then try to drop down to 189 if thats your 180’s weight class[/quote]

NO, fat will never help. It is simply a by-product of people trying to be bigger.

[quote]getfast24 wrote:
To answer the OP, a higher bf% is never good (the only sport in which it can help is swimming due its it buoyancy). Everyone has enough fat that they wont run out of calories during exercise. You have enough glycogen in your muscles and liver to get you through the vast majority of sports, and unless you plan to exercise for days on end without replenishing your calories you will not run out of fat to burn for energy.[/quote]

wow the exact asnwere i was looking for thank you lol.

[quote]bluejay wrote:
What kind of forty time do you run? If you are a fast guy don’t worry about the weight gain. If you are not that fast start sprint training today. If you wish to be a lineman bulking up to 240lbs may be the right course but if you are looking at other positions get faster before you get bigger.

Blue chip recruits aren’t necessarily bigger than many other players in the nation but they are typically faster, stronger, and much more skilled at their position than 90% of the other kids that play ball. If you want to be an athlete shorten your time in the weightroom and focus on major lifts and get your butt on the field to work on skills. I’ve seen a lot of 20-22 year old gym rats that could rep out on 225# better than football players at the NFL combine.

i have ok speed for my size because i play basketball reacreatinoly but you need size and strength if you dont want to be pushed around on the football field and if i can get the lineman position i would probably take it.but i agree speed and skill is just as important.