T Nation

Defining a Good BF for My Sport

i was reading earlier in a article that the body uses fat as energy and fuels muscle,but if you get to much fat you will have to much dead weight and slow yourself down in running,jumping,or other explosive movements.

Even tought that confuses the shit out of me,what bodyfat percentage do you need to be in the healthy athlete zone?sports such as football or wrestling.and if you could explain how muscle uses fat as energy to me that would be great.

1) What is yours at?
2) It's different for everybody
3) Are you a recreational athlete?

iam trying out for both football and wrestling but iam also going on a bulk-up using the starting strength program the reason iam askin is until now i been trying to maximize muscle gains and minimize fat gains but after i read that article i dont know what to do.

Generally if your playing football or a contact sport that involves running your going to see something in the range of 8-10% as being ideal.

Anything lower and you kind of lack energy and probably carry less muscle due to less than sufficient eating habits.

This isnt true all the time, but its a pretty good guess for most.

Anything too much higher and your going to hamper your speed and agility from carrying too much weight that doesn't contribute to your movement.

keep going with what your doing. When people mean bulk-up its usually includes eating a lot of food, fat gain and then they cut down (lose weight specifically fatty tissue) and keep the muscle gained through the bulking session the done before cutting. For football I say do the bulking up (depends on the position) and for wrestling try to just focus on strength gain for your weight class. If you do try out for wide receiver I understand it's a lot of sprinting which can translate into conditioning for wrestling if you choose to do both sports. If I'm making sense.

What are your stats? (people will start to ask this when they decide to help)
Height-
Weight-
Age-
BF%- (IFyou know don't guess or put a pic of yourself making us guess)

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
keep going with what your doing. When people mean bulk-up its usually includes eating a lot of food, fat gain and then they cut down (lose weight specifically fatty tissue) and keep the muscle gained through the bulking session the done before cutting. For football I say do the bulking up (depends on the position) and for wrestling try to just focus on strength gain for your weight class. If you do try out for wide receiver I understand it's a lot of sprinting which can translate into conditioning for wrestling if you choose to do both sports. If I'm making sense.

What are your stats?
Height-6 3
Weight-200
Age-16
BF%-around 10

bench press 215

squat 305

deadlift 405

i been weightlifting for about 6 months so im a starter.

HOLY FUCK SAKES! Shut up right now with those stats! but non the less very impressive if they are true. Umm I say your on the right track...

Can you post a pic? not gay for evidence
Your 6'3" 200 10%bf and your 16 I know they are some young freaks out there but that's just freaky.

They are good stats but i wouldn't call them "freaky" no offence ment.

Well I mean for his "age"...how many 16 year old do you know with those body stats and lifts? Besides MegaNewb no offense meant either lol

Seem pretty normal to me for his age and height/weight.

Taller guys have a deadlifting advantage, but struggle with bench due to leverage problems.

a 2xbodyweight deadlift is pretty normal.

My school's 103 lber had a bf percentage in the 4 percent range, and he had to take supplements to gain fat otherwise he wasn't allowed to cut weight. So make sure you don't go too low haha. Are you going to cut to 189 or bulk to properly fit 215? The heavier you are, the more leeway you get with the bf percentages. I think my school's 171 was 7 percent and the 189 was 12. So if your at 10, you're looking good.

i want to bulk up to 240 by age 18 mostly muscle with 10-15 bf percentage.what does leeway mean lol?

lol, dont we all

its more than possible you just gotta eat a shit-load lmao.

i wrestle collegiately and i know that when i am in season i am @ or under 7% of bf and then i still cut aroun 12 pounds to make weight. i know my roommate when hes in football season weighs around 205-215 and then wrestles at 184 but could easily make the cut to 174. There's a big difference than a lean body weight and a competition weight. We are both lean 20 pounds higher than our competition weight but then work our weigh down to a low BF and then cut from there.

you should easily be able to wrestle at 189 if youre 200 at 10% bf. Sorry for the second post but i just reread the answers to your original post. Either make the cut, or keep bulking and wrestle at 215. personally, close to wrestling season i think its way easier to cut than to gain. especially since of the calorie output during wrestling season. You would have to have a four course meal mid-practice to gain any weight lol. if i were you, id just lean out and keep getting stronger. at 6'3 and a lean 7% youd be a tall and long 89 pounder. definitely faster than a lot of 89's out there. not a bad deal if you ask me.

the reason i say its hard to gain weight during season is from personal experience. When i was a senior i weighed around 160 @ 60% and started the season as a 52 pounder. i moved up to 160 because we had another strong 52 pounder and i was trying to do the right thing as a captain. he eventually placed at states. i didn't. i couldn't gain the size mid-season. i would smoke all the lighter and normal 60 pounders but put me against a big 60 pounder and i couldnt handle their weight. go down.

i think ill manage to gain weight even in season i try to eat big meals every two hours.

depending on position in football

like example is a lineman being 300 pounds and 20% body fat is ok.

running positions obviously you want lower around 10-15% in the low 200s in body weight

so it all depends on what your doing.

wrestling though is different, you dont want to be a super heavyweight.

9.3145%.

Whatever happened to seeing what works best for YOU?

Keep gaining weight until you get slower.