T Nation

Define Good Food

Hey, I hear a lot of stuff about eating clean foods but what are clean foods exactly. Obviousy aplle and poultry are and potato chips aren’t but what about things like

steak
pot roast
meatloaf
cheesey omelets
Mcdonalds chicken sandwich
stuffing
gravy
Fatty canadian bacon and bacon
Grapes

If anyone wants to add some questionable or missunderstood food pease feel free

You’re not sure whether a mcdonalds chicken sandwich is good for you or not?
Come on.

Bacon Double Cheeseburger. Eat 5 a day for drastic fat loss.

Thanks for the help??? A mcdonalds chicken sandwich as 400 cal with about 15 grams of protein. It could be used for the right purposes.

A food is “good” as long as it fits your goals. It seems there are more and more people being worried about eating “clean,” but really, what is the point? To say you eat clean and make other people feed bad?

Eat what you want to eat as long as it fits your goals and then it’s good food.

[quote]LilGuyBigPlans wrote:
Thanks for the help??? A mcdonalds chicken sandwich as 400 cal with about 15 grams of protein. It could be used for the right purposes.[/quote]

Given your name I could see where you’re coming from. Anything at McDonalds would not be considered good unless you are little and have a fast metabolism. The whole world opens up a little more to those types.

But… keep in mind that calories and macro breakdowns aren’t everything.

And I also agree with the last poster that the idea of “good” food is different for everyone. I suspect you meant “clean” when you asked, which has a very distinct definition that can easily be obtained with a little research.

[quote]LilGuyBigPlans wrote:
Thanks for the help??? A mcdonalds chicken sandwich as 400 cal with about 15 grams of protein. It could be used for the right purposes.[/quote]

Unfortunately, the only clean part of that is the chicken… im assuming its not breaded… i’ve never had one, wouldn’t know. but i’d bet that the bun with processed white bleached flour, the low grade mayonnaise spread, and the abundance of high fructose corn syrup in both, would be more than enough to warrant me not wanting it.

clean food in my definition is -

has it been relatively unchanged since it came from nature?

IE - red meat, plain chicken, peanut butter that actually tastes like it came from peanuts (natural), any fruit/vegetable/berry, and anything you could make without the use of giant machines, whole wheat flour, oats, seeds, stuff that could be picked and ground by hand. even cheese doesn’t take modern machinery to make

unclean is mostly in reference to processing. pretty much anything with high fructose corn syrup, which seems to be in EVERY processed product known to man. Even buying bread, I always have to check a new brand to make sure it doesn’t have any in it. its disappointing. a second unclean food is pretty much anything deep-fried. Frying pan - good. Deep-fryer - bad. French fries. Nuff said.

Thorough enough?

[quote]Houshin Akai wrote:
LilGuyBigPlans wrote:
Thanks for the help??? A mcdonalds chicken sandwich as 400 cal with about 15 grams of protein. It could be used for the right purposes.

Unfortunately, the only clean part of that is the chicken… im assuming its not breaded… i’ve never had one, wouldn’t know. but i’d bet that the bun with processed white bleached flour, the low grade mayonnaise spread, and the abundance of high fructose corn syrup in both, would be more than enough to warrant me not wanting it.

clean food in my definition is -

has it been relatively unchanged since it came from nature?

IE - red meat, plain chicken, peanut butter that actually tastes like it came from peanuts (natural), any fruit/vegetable/berry, and anything you could make without the use of giant machines, whole wheat flour, oats, seeds, stuff that could be picked and ground by hand. even cheese doesn’t take modern machinery to make

unclean is mostly in reference to processing. pretty much anything with high fructose corn syrup, which seems to be in EVERY processed product known to man. Even buying bread, I always have to check a new brand to make sure it doesn’t have any in it. its disappointing. a second unclean food is pretty much anything deep-fried. Frying pan - good. Deep-fryer - bad. French fries. Nuff said.

Thorough enough? [/quote]

Nothing good about Mc D’s chicken, its not even good chicken, its old chickens that can’t produce any more eggs, and they process it like the McNuggets, the whole damn chicken gets smashed up in a machine and out come a chiken patty (its processed chicken dammit)

Look up Berardi’s articles about what is good and what is not, look into the nutrition and supplement articles as well as the diet program articles to learn more.

Its not because someone is skinny that he/she should put crap in their bodies and expect to feel great and gain muscle…there is an intelligent healthy way as well to gain muscle.

Thanks, I’ll stay away from processed food and Mcdonalds and reread his article.

Just to point out that nothing is good at McDonald’s
The other day someone was saying in a surprising way that the fruit yogurt parfait that the “tout” as being healthy … actually is more unhealthy than the hot fudge sundae.

It is worth mentioning that you are better off eating the sudae… but who would have ever thought that…
I mean even the salads they serve are loaded with croutons and fat salad dressing… not to mention the shredded cheese and bacon bits…

maybe the bottled water is healthy

[quote]barbiegirl wrote:
Nothing good about Mc D’s chicken, its not even good chicken, its old chickens that can’t produce any more eggs, and they process it like the McNuggets, the whole damn chicken gets smashed up in a machine and out come a chiken patty (its processed chicken dammit)[/quote]

Actually that’s not true. The old McChicken (the flat breaded patty one) is like this, but the newer McD’s chicken sandwiches, whether it’s the grilled ones or the breaded select ones use whole mostly unprocessed chicken breasts. It’s evident both from appearance and taste.

Nobody said that you can put crap in your body just because you are skinny, just that those that are skinny have the genetic advantage to not have to be so careful with what they eat all of the time (bulking only, of course).

There are millions of people who eat at McDonald’s who are not fat and who are not killing themselves. Those are the same people who typically don’t super-size it and generally are intelligent enough to practice moderation.

[quote]edboze wrote:
Just to point out that nothing is good at McDonald’s
The other day someone was saying in a surprising way that the fruit yogurt parfait that the “tout” as being healthy … actually is more unhealthy than the hot fudge sundae.

It is worth mentioning that you are better off eating the sudae… but who would have ever thought that…
I mean even the salads they serve are loaded with croutons and fat salad dressing… not to mention the shredded cheese and bacon bits…

maybe the bottled water is healthy[/quote]

You’re kidding right? I don’t quite understand the mentality that says everything is unhealthy there. The fruit and yogurt parfait is chocked full of sugar- so what- so is Surge. Is Surge unhealthy? No. And it is certainly not more unhealthy than a hot fudge sundae.

It’s the combination of fat and sugar in the sundae that makes the sundae worse, regardless if it has less sugar in it than the parfait.

And there are healthy options there as long as you skip the fries. The fruit and walnut salad is healthy. It’s fruit and walnuts with a small serving of light yogurt. How is that not healthy?

As for the other salads, shredded cheese is good for you- jesus. Yes the croutons are not great, the bacon bits have a ton of saturated fat (not that saturated fat is bad for you, just not that much is necessary). The salad dressings are your fault, as they offer lower calorie alternatives.

Do not perpetuate stereotypes. Everything can be a part of a balanced diet in moderation. Everything.

Another vote here for eating to fit your goals.

From the sounds of it, there are quite a few people here who have never and will never be larger than 200 pounds…or even 150, for that matter.

[quote]Brett Tucek wrote:

From the sounds of it, there are quite a few people here who have never and will never be larger than 200 pounds…or even 150, for that matter.[/quote]

Dude, you dont have to call out magnetnerd on each damn thread.

The closer a food is to its natural state, the better it is (under most circumstances). The more processed it is, the worse it (generally) becomes.

Some processed foods do serve a purpose, Surge as a post-workout drink for example. But the rule of the thumb is that the close it is to its natural state, the better it is.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
The closer a food is to its natural state, the better it is (under most circumstances). The more processed it is, the worse it (generally) becomes.

Some processed foods do serve a purpose, Surge as a post-workout drink for example. But the rule of the thumb is that the close it is to its natural state, the better it is.[/quote]

What’s more natural than a Big Mac and fries?

:slight_smile:

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Brett Tucek wrote:

From the sounds of it, there are quite a few people here who have never and will never be larger than 200 pounds…or even 150, for that matter.

Dude, you dont have to call out magnetnerd on each damn thread.[/quote]

I was referring to the guy who said that eating cheese was bad for you.

And um, for the record, magnetnerd started it on that other thread. =P

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

Some processed foods do serve a purpose, Surge as a post-workout drink for example. But the rule of the thumb is that the close it is to its natural state, the better it is.[/quote]

This is how I look at it, an auxiliary observation about that is how, we(as humans) seem to have a remarkable ability to handle ‘spoiled’ foods, as long as they are natural. Within reason, but even stuff like Rotten shark meat has a culinary following.

[quote]Brett Tucek wrote:

And um, for the record, magnetnerd started it on that other thread. =P[/quote]

Honestly, do you think you could be more juvenile?

[quote]magnetnerd wrote:
Brett Tucek wrote:

And um, for the record, magnetnerd started it on that other thread. =P

Honestly, do you think you could be more juvenile?[/quote]

LOL. Seriously you two need to learn how to argue. You were too civil to each other. Where’s the fun in that? j/k :slight_smile: