Deficit Deadlifts

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]patrick4588 wrote:
30 reps at 90% of max. wut[/quote]

I would start at 18 - 20 and gradually move up to 30.

It WILL kick your ass. You WILL feel it for at least a week or more. You WILL get thicker and stronger.[/quote]

That sounds like such a lot of suck. Last week we did 30 at 70% at 3 1/2" and that was tough enough.

My sticking point is off the floor, so I will use not only defecit work off of layers of 2’x3’ plywood from 1"-6" but also include chains in the equation. I have used this the last three months and my dead has gone up more than in the previous 9 months, fwiw !

Anyone ever try some crazy shit and combine deficits with supramaximal techniques such as bands and chains?

I find I can improve at deficit deadlifts but there is not always a carryover to regular deadlift off the floor.

I’ve done them standing on a 100 pound plate, any higher and I find the form changes alot (can’t get tight at the bottom, etc)

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

It WILL kick your ass. You WILL feel it for at least a week or more. You WILL get thicker and stronger.[/quote]

That sounds like such a lot of suck. Last week we did 30 at 70% at 3 1/2" and that was tough enough.[/quote]

Like many things in this endeavor of ours this routine is very much a mental game too. It takes some serious psyching up in order to go do it…and then once you’ve started…more internal drive is required in order to finish the session.

Somewhat surprising is that halfway through the session your nervous system should be fully tuned up and it’s actually easier for awhile. Then towards the end it gets brutal again.

I do know this for sure, you HAVE to spend some time recovering afterward. No tough workouts of any kind for several days. Eat and sleep a lot and get some light cardio/GPP. That’s all you’ll need.[/quote]

Sounds like overkill to me personally… why train so hard at once and make yourself miserable for a week when you could just split the workout in half and double the frequency? I’m bias though I’ve always been a big fan of high frequency training.

Something I have done before with a good bit of success was to do deficit deadlifts during my warmups, and then remove the deficit for my work sets. The ROM feels even shorter, and I get pretty good speed off the floor when I do this.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Ghost16 wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

That sounds like such a lot of suck. Last week we did 30 at 70% at 3 1/2" and that was tough enough.[/quote]

Like many things in this endeavor of ours this routine is very much a mental game too. It takes some serious psyching up in order to go do it…and then once you’ve started…more internal drive is required in order to finish the session.

Somewhat surprising is that halfway through the session your nervous system should be fully tuned up and it’s actually easier for awhile. Then towards the end it gets brutal again.

I do know this for sure, you HAVE to spend some time recovering afterward. No tough workouts of any kind for several days. Eat and sleep a lot and get some light cardio/GPP. That’s all you’ll need.[/quote]

Sounds like overkill to me personally… why train so hard at once and make yourself miserable for a week when you could just split the workout in half and double the frequency? I’m bias though I’ve always been a big fan of high frequency training.
[/quote]

Whatever floats your boat.

BTW, doesn’t make me “miserable” for a week. [/quote]

You have better recovery than I do then lol. 30 reps on deadlift at 90% would probably give me soreness for 5-6 straight days.

I will use my defecit training on DE days with chains. I will use 50-60% of 1rm on the bar. 80% of 1rm minus the 50-60% is what will constitute Chain weight. So I have 50-60% at the bottom of the lift and 80% at the top.
As I work through the weeks the bar weight gets heavier but the chain weight will remain at 80%.

hope this makes sense. So far it seems to be working well for me…try it for a 50/55/60% DE cycle and see what you think. thanks, killerDIRK.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Ghost16 wrote:

You have better recovery than I do then lol. 30 reps on deadlift at 90% would probably give me soreness for 5-6 straight days.

[/quote]

BTW, I’m 51 and you’re 22 and you’re telling me this workout might be too tough for you, huh?[/quote]

Yeah but you’re old enough that you have to get all your reps in before you die. You don’t have time to space things out.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Ghost16 wrote:

[/quote]

BTW, I’m 51 and you’re 22 and you’re telling me this workout might be too tough for you, huh?[/quote]

Yeah but you’re old enough that you have to get all your reps in before you die. You don’t have time to space things out.[/quote]

This made me lol. I guess you are tougher than me. Maybe you have old man strength?

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Ghost16 wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Ghost16 wrote:

[/quote]

Yeah but you’re old enough that you have to get all your reps in before you die. You don’t have time to space things out.[/quote]

This made me lol. I guess you are tougher than me. Maybe you have old man strength? [/quote]

Maybe it’s cuz I listen to better music…

It’s better than the pop punk shit I listen to lol. I’ll give your workout a shot one of these days push and see how it goes. Maybe it will make my testicles finally descend.