T Nation

Deficit Deadlift vs Regular Deadlift

What percentage of your regular deadlift 1rm would you expect to lift on a deficit deadlift?

I train at home, and don’t have any weight plates larger than a 7.5kg, so I would guess I am deadlifting from a considerable deficit. Since going to a gym any time soon is out of the question, I would be grateful if someone could satisfy my curiosity and give me a rough indication of how much more I might expect to pull on a regular deficit. From a quick google, it looks like the difference in diameter between my largest plate and a standard 20kg plate could mean I’m deadlifting from a deficit of 4 or 5 inches.

FWIW I’m running beyond 5/3/1 and am using 340lbs as my TM, which I hit for a comfortable 4 repsyesterday, all dead stop.

Just make do with the numbers you currently pull, no one cares what you should be able to do with proper plates, shoes, mats, a special bar etc etc etc because your not doing that your currently pulling 340, Even if you have to put a crazy amount of plates on the bar to do it.

Ha, I have to tie some on with string when I go heavier, so for my joker sets. Not really worried so much, more curious. I’ve always seen (from what I’ve read) a four plate regular deadlift as being the mark of where you start being strong. Of course strong varies in its context, but 4 plates or the equivalent has always been a benchmark I’ve been working towards.

You could always put your plates on an elevated surface to make it so that you’re pulling from the correct height. Stacking some wooden boards under the plates would work. I use rubber patio pavers myself.

Slightly embarrassed not to have thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion.

You’ve gotten some good answers as to what you can do and whether it matters. As far as the relationship between deficit and regular pull, it depends on where you miss. For a long time I could pull anything from a deficit that I could pull from the ground. I miss a couple inches below the knee, so it really didn’t matter if I was pulling from a deficit.

[quote]Silyak wrote:
You’ve gotten some good answers as to what you can do and whether it matters. As far as the relationship between deficit and regular pull, it depends on where you miss. For a long time I could pull anything from a deficit that I could pull from the ground. I miss a couple inches below the knee, so it really didn’t matter if I was pulling from a deficit. [/quote]

Ye, I think it is probably no bad thing for me to deadlift from a deficit, because if I can get the weight off the floor, I know it is going all the way through to completion. I get stronger all the way through the lift, and the lockout is where I feel most powerful.

Thanks for your input.

A 4-5" deficit is pretty big for somebody who’s just starting to do deficits. You would probably have to really work on mobility for a while to do them right. I’d go with mats or whatever works best for you. Rubber mats are actually a really nice thing to have, so it might be a worthy investment.

Deficits are a great exercise, but I’d start with a smaller deficit.

Thank you for posting. FWIW, I have been deadlifting with a deficit since I started more than 2 years ago. I’m also reasonably tall if that makes a difference, just over 6’1. I have lifted as high as a triple for 370. Although I didn’t feel I had the best structural integrity for that set when I did it. When I started beyond 5/3/1 I backed off quite a long way on deadlifts. My lower back has really become a very strong link as a result. I do a good deal of sandbag lifting as well, and have shouldered a 240lb sandbag, so I am reasonably strong at a deficit. That’s why I’m curious as to how the strength would translate.