Deficit Deadlift vs Regular Deadlift?

It seems my deficit deadlift (4 in.) and regular deadlift weight margin don’t vary by much… actually no more than 25 lbs. What’s your deficit vs regular? I want to know the ratio amongst fellow lifters to determine if I should address my little dilemma or just leave it be.

Maybe just get stronger

[quote]jakjak824 wrote:
Maybe just get stronger
[/quote]

if only getting strong was as easy…

what i meant by my post was, I see people like layne norton and konstantinovs who’s deficit deadlift and regular deadlift varies by a pretty big margin.

i can’t tell you exact numbers, but my deficit deads is no where near my conventional dead, though I go off the platform often. I only go off about a 2.5 inch platform.

0.8763:1

Mine is app 85-90% of the regular deadlift. I’m gojng to push that up now since my lockout us pretty strong. That’s at four inches btw.

oh crap something is wrong with my regular deadlift then. i maxed deficit 4 in. at 515 lbs but i could not deadlift 545 lbs. this was done a month apart. every since my knee surgery feels like i can’t push the ground as much. thanks for the input guys… seems like everyone is around 80-90% of their deadlift. I’ll try to get a video up asap to see if anyone can address my form.

It’s not really a dilemma unless you want it to be. Stop practicing the deficit so much and go from the floor more.

personally, I get next to nothing from pulling on a platform. I could add 20lbs to my platform pull and lose 10 lbs on my pull from the floor.

Maybe your start isn’t your weakness and you shouldn’t worry about deficit pulls much. I know my 2 inch deficit is like a 40+ lb difference.

[quote]coffee wrote:
It’s not really a dilemma unless you want it to be. Stop practicing the deficit so much and go from the floor more.

personally, I get next to nothing from pulling on a platform. I could add 20lbs to my platform pull and lose 10 lbs on my pull from the floor.[/quote]

i seldom did deficit before but after my acl surgery the doctor recommended it since it has more quad involvement.

but truth to be told, i used to believe that pulling deficit had a direct carryover to the regular since deficit has more ROM and more muscle involvement. i guess this isn’t as true as they say??? or at least in your case and mine. aw man this sucks… i thought i’d hit atleast a 550 deadlift with a 510 deficit

Did 500 from 4" on Thursday. Hoping for 585 in two week from the floor.

i have a qucik question! ( i’ve used google and the search function!)

for the conventional deadlift, doing deficit pulls to help it is common knowledge.

but can you do deficit sumo deadlifts? they seem like they would be hard on the hips which is why i haven’t tried them yet.

If you pull sumo and you are having problems with breaking from the ground, try pointing your toes further outward; it helps a lot with the start and only affects the lock out minimally.

On the other hand, if you can get in a full wide stance squat just fine, then I can’t see how deficit sumo deads would be a problem for the hips.

what would u guys recommend to remedy my situation - strong from a deficit but weak when pulling regularly from the floor? would band deadlifts help in this case? or would deadlifts on block be more suitable? or just pull regularly without deficits or blocks?? i know there’s people who are saying i should stop doing deficit but i rarely pull deficit to begin with. inputs are greatly appreciated.

[quote]awwww_fuq wrote:
what would u guys recommend to remedy my situation - strong from a deficit but weak when pulling regularly from the floor? would band deadlifts help in this case? or would deadlifts on block be more suitable? or just pull regularly without deficits or blocks?? i know there’s people who are saying i should stop doing deficit but i rarely pull deficit to begin with. inputs are greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Keep pulling from the floor; you need to work on what is weak.

And also, start doing speed pulls.

535 with no belt off of a 6" deficit. 606 from the floor with belt only.