T Nation

Deepest Gas Tank in Combat Sports

Just for shits and giggles, who are some of the athletes with phenomenal endurance? I don’t mean just able to get through a full match and still have some left in the tank, but really people who use their other-worldly conditioning as part of their strategy.

My picks:

Wanderlei Silva
Tito Ortiz
Manny Pacquiao
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Nikolay Valuev (at 7 feet, 325 pounds, he goes out for the 12th round as fresh as the first)
Jerome LeBanner

Any others?

I hate to say it, because I dislike the guy, but Frank Shamrock has crazy cardio.

Mauricio Rua is extremely athletic, especially by light heavyweight standards. A lot of the smaller guys have great cardio, but not in the context of their size.

But wait, is their endurance god given/born with or do they just go the extra EXTRA mile in training. Serious question.

Bob Sapp.

:wink:

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
I hate to say it, because I dislike the guy, but Frank Shamrock has crazy cardio. [/quote]

i’d agree about Frank Shamrock (not ken, though in his prime he was too).

Definately Tito Ortiz.

Really any of the older mma fighters, back when they had to fight like 3 fights per night if they were winning. it was a different sport with much more difficult physical demands then. (Frank Shamrock’s time)

Any Olympic combat Athlete. Those guys are crazy in shape.

Matt Hughes for sure.

Might be stating the obvious here, but I’ve never seen anything resembling a gassed Fedor.

[quote]texasguy wrote:

Any Olympic combat Athlete. Those guys are crazy in shape.

[/quote]

Mark Coleman?
Kevin Randleman?
Mark Kerr?

Not all Olympic combat athletes have great cardio.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
But wait, is their endurance god given/born with or do they just go the extra EXTRA mile in training. Serious question.[/quote]

It doesn’t matter. They both count, just as long as their conditioning actually plays into their strategy.
For example, Pacquiao just outhustled Morales in their second fight, Silva recovers extremely quickly as in his first fight with Dan Henderson, etc.

Other fighters may have decent stamina, but it doesn’t play into their strategy. I’m only looking for the ones that actually use their conditioning to win fights.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Might be stating the obvious here, but I’ve never seen anything resembling a gassed Fedor.[/quote]

It is indeed a rare occurrence, but watch the end of his third fight with Nogueira. He missed a few things due to fatigue.

[quote]kligor wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
Might be stating the obvious here, but I’ve never seen anything resembling a gassed Fedor.

It is indeed a rare occurrence, but watch the end of his third fight with Nogueira. He missed a few things due to fatigue.[/quote]

I just watched Shockwave '04 about a week ago which was their 3rd meeting correct? I guess I don’t recall for sure, I do remember the action slowing down a bit during the last round. I probably missed it due to being amazed Nogueira was still alive.

Hope you guys havent forgot about the FRIST Sakuraba and Royce fight. That was insane.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
kligor wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

It is indeed a rare occurrence, but watch the end of his third fight with Nogueira. He missed a few things due to fatigue.

I just watched Shockwave '04 about a week ago which was their 3rd meeting correct? I guess I don’t recall for sure, I do remember the action slowing down a bit during the last round. I probably missed it due to being amazed Nogueira was still alive.

[/quote]

Thoese bombs Fedor dropped on Nogueria proabally took a good 5-10 years out of his life.

Rich Franklin has insane cardio :slight_smile:

Can’t believe nobody’s mentioned Couture yet! That guy is almost 44 years old and he out hustled and out lasted Tito in their fight.

I also agree with Sakuraba in his prime. Can’t believe that guy could go as long as he did with Royce in their first fight (especially seeing as I’ve heard he smokes like 3 packs of cigarettes a day!).

I’ve also gotta agree with Frank Shamrock (not Ken though, he’s never had good cardio, even in his prime), Royce, Hughes, and Fedor of course.

I think as far as Randleman and Coleman go, first, they both do steroids which can actually hinder aerobic capacity, and they are completely 1 dimensional.

If Randleman had gone and trained with a good striking coach and got good at the striking game, he would have been an absolute monster. All he would need to do then is to work on submissions/submission defense and I don’t think there would be anyone (including Fedor) who would have been better than him. Instead he just continues to be one dimensional and train at Hammer House. Sad really.

Good training,

Sentoguy

After Tito lost to Frank he cited getting gassed as one of the main causes and since then has been obsessed with this stamina in the octagon, though I wish he would focus on evolving the rest of his MMA game which has seemingly remained unchanged since 1999.

The old take 'em down and ground and pound is a one-dimensional winning strategy, and as we saw with Chuck twice is not always a sure bet.

Rocky Marciano
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Arena/1047//stamina.html

I was just thinking about Rocky. Another one I like is Sugar Ray Leonard. Look at the Haggler brawl–after 10 rounds his hands are still as fast as the 1st. Amazing.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
kligor wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

[/quote]

To be fair, I haven’t seen Fedor gas before or after that, so that may have been the only time.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Can’t believe nobody’s mentioned Couture yet! That guy is almost 44 years old and he out hustled and out lasted Tito in their fight.

I also agree with Sakuraba in his prime. Can’t believe that guy could go as long as he did with Royce in their first fight (especially seeing as I’ve heard he smokes like 3 packs of cigarettes a day!).

I’ve also gotta agree with Frank Shamrock (not Ken though, he’s never had good cardio, even in his prime), Royce, Hughes, and Fedor of course.

I think as far as Randleman and Coleman go, first, they both do steroids which can actually hinder aerobic capacity, and they are completely 1 dimensional.

If Randleman had gone and trained with a good striking coach and got good at the striking game, he would have been an absolute monster. All he would need to do then is to work on submissions/submission defense and I don’t think there would be anyone (including Fedor) who would have been better than him. Instead he just continues to be one dimensional and train at Hammer House. Sad really.

Good training,

Sentoguy[/quote]

Couture is definitely a good pick.

But I don’t know if even a well-rounded Randleman could beat Fedor. Yes, Randleman is an absolute genetic freak, blessed with tremendous speed and power. And Fedor isn’t exactly known for being the fastest or the strongest fighter of all, but he’s definitely known as the smartest.

I think he’d have the game plan to beat even a well-rounded Randleman.