Deep Squats Really Built My Abs

[quote]Scott M wrote:
I just found it odd, if I came on T-Nation with a thread that my triceps had gotten a half inch bigger in 14 days from simply lowering dips to full stretch instead of stopping at arms paralell to the ground wouldn’t there be some questions? First thing out of anyones mouth would be A) bullshit and B) you measured wrong

I think people are overlooking the fact that the stomach tends to hold um… food in it and can vary greatly depending on hydration, food, measuring style(pull tape harder one time) etc. I could say typing on T-Nation while I do my online course and cleaning my apartment made my “core” grow 3 inches over the course of today, if I forget that fact that I ate 4 meals of steak and veggies and 2 protein shakes. If I measure in the morning my waist is 32-3ish around the navel, if I measured at night(don’t need the ego hit ha) it could probably be 36+. Maybe I’m just the crazy one here haha. [/quote]

I don’t think you’re crazy, and I don’t know about 2 inches of growth, but I experienced the same kind of thing. However it wasn’t by switching to ATG squats as much as it was actually doing HEAVY deads and squats.

It so happens that I’ve alway done deep squats cause it ‘seemed right’. My core got thick and hard VERY quickly. I was shocked at how much hard growth I got in my mid section as a result. Now even resting my ab wall is very tight. I guess its because besides your spine there are no bones to form a ridged frame to your core so the muscles have to stabilize as if they were the frame. IMHO

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
DanErickson wrote:
When I do deadlifts and squats and I never feel my abs activating; and I never feel DOMS from it either. What am I doing wrong

You won’t get your abs sore doing deads and squats because abs act only as stabilizers. You’ll naturally use your prime movers more and your attention will be directed to them, not your abs. Thus, you won’t feel your abs activating.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply undeadlift, I thought that people are maybe flexing their abs while doing squats and deads. Still doesn’t explain why I don’t get sore abs.

I have no doubts that heavy training will build a strong midsection, I’ve said it before that anyone who squats 405x20 is going to have abs if they are lean. I just don’t see changing one small facet of training having that rapid of results for anyone.

i dont know about u guys but I dont WANT my abs to grow 2 in. I would like to have the “beach aesthetic abs” and I dont want to look too blocky. now correct me if Im wrong but when you guys say abs “growing” does that mean wider?

or do u mean thicker and deep abs? Like will my “stomach” get bigger or will my “abs” get bigger?? because having deep, washboard abs would be awesome but not blocky jay cutler abs lol

While I’m not here to talk about how big I got in a short amount of time, I just never done ATG squats. I just started to grow like a monster after two weeks. If you sum up the lower back, the obliques, and the abdominal muscles I never used, an inch is A LOT of growth, but it isn’t impossible. It would be more believable if I used AAS, but I don’t. I just don’t see the whole challenge to discredit me :.

[quote]DanErickson wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
DanErickson wrote:
When I do deadlifts and squats and I never feel my abs activating; and I never feel DOMS from it either. What am I doing wrong

You won’t get your abs sore doing deads and squats because abs act only as stabilizers. You’ll naturally use your prime movers more and your attention will be directed to them, not your abs. Thus, you won’t feel your abs activating.

Thanks for the reply undeadlift, I thought that people are maybe flexing their abs while doing squats and deads. Still doesn’t explain why I don’t get sore abs.[/quote]

Prime movers, since they carry the most brunt of the weight, are the muscles which would most likely get DOMS, not stabilizers.

[quote]Scott M wrote:
I have no doubts that heavy training will build a strong midsection, I’ve said it before that anyone who squats 405x20 is going to have abs if they are lean. I just don’t see changing one small facet of training having that rapid of results for anyone. [/quote]

IMO, increasing the ROM of a squat by that much isn’t a small facet of training. I think it’s integral that one learns how to squat properly ATG. You’re right about one thing though. 1 inch of pure muscle is hard to believe in just 2 weeks. I’m sure there’s some fat in it, even if it’s mostly muscle.

BTW, I remember Charles Poliquin mention about a group of athletes getting sore in squats simply by changing shoes.

best core development i ever got was when i ditched all direct ab training and did Poliquin’s super accumulation program. Front Squats, Back Squats and snatch grip deads multiple times a week. By the end of the first week i literally went from having lines to having a semi six pack. (note i am not against direct ab training at all, this just made me realize what everyone has been saying about squats deadlifts and the abs/obliques)

Would it be critical to build your abs to do free squats insteads of squats in that vertical rack?

[quote]jared530 wrote:
Would it be critical to build your abs to do free squats insteads of squats in that vertical rack?[/quote]

Yes. You wouldn’t need stabilizers if the path of movement is already fixed.

[quote]bmar22 wrote:
i dont know about u guys but I dont WANT my abs to grow 2 in. I would like to have the “beach aesthetic abs” and I dont want to look too blocky. [/quote]

You must look great in your bikini.