Deep Squats and Knees

Hello i am a jym coach from israel.
i learnd that deep squat can hurt your knees and lower back
the studies shows that it is true but still there are people which say the opposite that deep squat is better for the knees.A trainer who work with me told me that those studies are “old school”,and you should go down as deep as you can while you squating.Knee biomechanics of the dynamic squat exercise - PubMed

A friend of mine suggest me to ask here if deep squat is realy isnt good for the knees

Thank you

Is this a serious question?

There is no debate. Squatting high is worse for your knees than squatting deep.

I guess I’ll humor the question on the assumption it isn’t totally troll.

Deep squats: more force applied to the patellofemoral joint, althought the force does not “increase significantly” between parallel and below parallel. Less force (or torque, can’t remember which) applied to the menisci and MCL, thus decreasing stress on those areas, limiting chance of wear and tear to the menisci and MCL, but if proper care is not taken, there is a higher chance of patellar mis-tracking.

Parallel and above: less force on the patellofemoral joint, but more shear forces and more force applied to the menisci and MCL.

long story short: what csulli said.

[quote]nkklllll wrote:

Deep squats: more force applied to the patellofemoral joint, althought the force does not “increase significantly” between parallel and below parallel. Less force (or torque, can’t remember which) applied to the menisci and MCL, thus decreasing stress on those areas, limiting chance of wear and tear to the menisci and MCL, but if proper care is not taken, there is a higher chance of patellar mis-tracking.

Parallel and above: less force on the patellofemoral joint, but more shear forces and more force applied to the menisci and MCL.

long story short: what csulli said.[/quote]

Wow! How much of that did you have to look up? :slight_smile: I think most of us have heard that deep squats are “safer”, but this is the first time I’ve had it actually broken down (pun intended) for me. Gracias!

–Me

Stress<> injury

Controlled stress is the point of training. No stress mean no adaptation.

And a deep squat requires less load than a parallel one so the comparison should factor in needing an increased load on parallel squatting.

Taken to the extreme, there are guys I see in the gym quarter squatting 500 and probably can?t deep squat 225. Which do you think is harder on the knees?

Not to mention the fact that deep squatting will actually help build muscle and strength around your knee joint rather than just building up hip and upper leg strength to squat things a mile high and then using 10x more weight than your knees can actually handle because of the massive imbalance.

In MY experience, I’ve found that both above parallel and ATG squats have been bad for MY knees. Best for me has been the slightly below parallel squat with a slightly wider stance; I’ve seen it called the “hybrid” squat. Best thing to do with squats is to play with the variations and see which one is right for you.

[quote]kravi wrote:

[quote]nkklllll wrote:

long story short: what csulli said.[/quote]

Wow! How much of that did you have to look up? :slight_smile: I think most of us have heard that deep squats are “safer”, but this is the first time I’ve had it actually broken down (pun intended) for me. Gracias!

–Me
[/quote]

I’ve read a couple studies on squats and knee health.

I only squat to depth in meets. So far, my knees are fine, but I suppose I can wait and see.