T Nation

Declining a Promotion?

Who has done it? Were there any hard feelings from upper management?

When I reviewed the pro's and con's it doesn't seem worth it. Marginal pay increase, more employees to supervise. No real increase in power or status.

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

When I reviewed the pro’s and con’s it doesn’t seem worth it. Marginal pay increase, more employees to supervise. No real increase in power or status. [/quote]

That’s tough. Are you taking the long view and what this step could lead to down the road?

[quote]doogie wrote:

When I reviewed the pro’s and con’s it doesn’t seem worth it. Marginal pay increase, more employees to supervise. No real increase in power or status. [/quote]

That’s tough. Are you taking the long view and what this step could lead to down the road?[/quote]

Yes, In the next few years there will positions open that I am shoe in for that have similar pay, better perks, and a lower COL. Definitely playing the long game.

The promotion would lead me in a direction that I have little interest in pursuing at this point in life.

[quote]doogie wrote:

That’s tough. Are you taking the long view and what this step could lead to down the road?[/quote]

Yes, In the next few years there will positions open that I am shoe in for that have similar pay, better perks, and a lower COL. Definitely playing the long game.

The promotion would lead me in a direction that I have little interest in pursuing at this point in life. [/quote]

I’d be careful with this. Turning down a promotion can be career suicide at a company. Can you talk to management and explain your aspirations for the other position?

My brother worked for a tech company called Varian. He took a promotion that didn’t pay much more but turned out to be a hell of a lot more work. After six months or so he decided it wasn’t worth it and stepped down back to his old position.

They hired a woman to fill the spot. She turned out to be lazy and she knew my brother knew she was cutting corners and not doing the job properly because he had the position before. She orchestrated an effort to get my brother fired which she succeeded in doing because they needed it to work with her and they weren’t happy with my brother.

Unrelated to your dilemma, but I can’t pass up on the opportunity to tell the rest of the story. That chick ended up leaving Varian then a year or two later she was arrested (and convicted) for embezzling from her new employer. In the investigation it was learned she also embezzled hundreds of thousands of dollars from Varian.

I’ve got to go now but I’ll try to come back later and post the article if i can find it. You know, I can’t pass up on the opportunity to spread the bitches name.

This is the bitch that got my brother fired. https://www.fbi.gov/sacramento/press-releases/2014/tracy-woman-pleads-guilty-to-embezzling-from-health-plan-of-san-joaquin-and-agilent-technologies

My brother had a tough time finding a job after the firing. That’s how it is after getting sacked. He ended up getting a temporary position with a fast growing western wear company. They hired him for his knowledge with ERP software which they were implementing. During the assignment they recognized what a great asset he is and kept him after the company completed the ERP transition. Later he was promoted to Director so it has worked out well for him. He didn’t turn down the director promotion. lol

Did you tell them it sounds like more work with not enough pay increase?

Management can play hard ball and know a lot of people like titles, so they may see if you bite on that.

If you say, I don’t think the increase in salary is worth the extra work, they may be OK and sweeten the pot a little. I’d figure out a more subtle way to say it, but they told you what they had in mind and now it’s your term to tell them what you may be thinking.

[quote]theuofh wrote:

Did you tell them it sounds like more work with not enough pay increase?

Management can play hard ball and know a lot of people like titles, so they may see if you bite on that.

If you say, I don’t think the increase in salary is worth the extra work, they may be OK and sweeten the pot a little. I’d figure out a more subtle way to say it, but they told you what they had in mind and now it’s your term to tell them what you may be thinking.

[/quote]

Salary has already been discussed, there isn’t any common ground.

I did this in the military because I candidly didn’t want to be moved from a combat position to REMF. I took a LOT of grief for it, but then was promoted to the same rank in a combat unit — AFTER my CO had moved on to bigger and better things. In the mean time, he shit all over my record, and what should have been a Silver Star turned into a Bronze Medal.

It was pretty rocky/hostile for a while, but it was worth it.

I didn’t turn it down, but I made it clear I was concerned the move up in title and subsequent package changes was actually a stagnation in pay, if not a small step back.

In the end my package has been adjusted for this concern, and so far so good. I’ve performed however at or above expectations, and mistakes and setbacks limited to human error and judgment errors, not me being a dumbass.

Looking back, I was in a similar situation to you, but my ultimate goal required this transition, so even if my package wasn’t adjusted to compensate for my concerns I would have done it anyway. Never make long-term choices on short-term information.

[quote]doogie wrote:

lol, Doogie should I answer this question?

I declined it. No ill effects, yet.

Thanks for the input.