Decline Tilt vs Incline Tilt

@CT:

I did incline tilt bench press from pins for the first time today using a 4" block under head of bench, bar starts 4" from chest; my arms are so long, I still have 12"+ ROM from this position.

Really felt it in upper chest and triceps - fantastic stimulation in those areas, in fact, best I’ve ever felt with any movement.

This is what I did:

Ramp to 1RM: 135x3, 175x2, 205x2, 230x2, 255x1, 280x1, 300x1, 320x1, 335x1

Clusters: 300x4, 300x5, 300x5

HDL: 270 x 7 reps / rest 15 sec / 3 more reps

Ended WO here since I also have been finding out that when focusing on strength, too much HDL puts me into the ground, ESPECIALLY with pressing movements. Those are more draining on me than hip dominant movements.

Questions:

My decline tilt bench last WO was 410 and clusters at 365, HDL 325.

1. Is that about the right difference between the two moves for me?

Maybe I have found a weakness - because I “hate” incline tilt bench (relative term).

One thing I have found is that I have a much better leg drive with incline tilt.

1. Also, on decline tilt, what do you do to help with leg drive with decline tilt bench? Do you put plates under your feet?

Thanks!
M

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:
@CT:

I did incline tilt bench press from pins for the first time today using a 4" block under head of bench, bar starts 4" from chest; my arms are so long, I still have 12"+ ROM from this position.

Really felt it in upper chest and triceps - fantastic stimulation in those areas, in fact, best I’ve ever felt with any movement.

This is what I did:

Ended WO here since I also have been finding out that when focusing on strength, too much HDL puts me into the ground, ESPECIALLY with pressing movements. Those are more draining on me than hip dominant movements.

Questions:

Maybe I have found a weakness - because I “hate” incline tilt bench (relative term).

One thing I have found is that I have a much better leg drive with incline tilt.

1. Also, on decline tilt, what do you do to help with leg drive with decline tilt bench? Do you put plates under your feet?

Thanks!
M[/quote]

1. I cannot tell you if the ratio is good or not. It could probably be better but not so much because of a weakness but because you have not practiced the slight incline much. It takes about 3 sessions to find the groove.

2. If you have problems with the leg drive in the slight decline it’s that the block you are using is too high. I have short legs and have zero issues using my legs in the slight decline. I use a 25 and a 10lbs plate which is about a total of 2-3"

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:
@CT:

This is what I did:

Questions:

Thanks!
M[/quote]

1. If you have problems with the leg drive in the slight decline it’s that the block you are using is too high. I have short legs and have zero issues using my legs in the slight decline. I use a 25 and a 10lbs plate which is about a total of 2-3"
    [/quote]

This is what i have been over analyzing with the decline/incline tilt variations, the actual height of the tilt. I have been using per your lab spill on the subject a 45lb plate which raises whichever end by 1.5-1.75" http://www.T-Nation.com/strength-training-topics/2257

If you look at it you can barely see a tilt either way but i assumed that’s the point, 4" i found was way too much and way to close to an actual Incline or decline.

I was curious though if it can be too slight or maybe anything from 1.5 up to 3" is fine and just a matter of preference. Again, this is probably me majoring in the minors here though.

[quote]Eazy wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:
@CT:

This is what I did:

Questions:

Thanks!
M[/quote]

1. If you have problems with the leg drive in the slight decline it’s that the block you are using is too high. I have short legs and have zero issues using my legs in the slight decline. I use a 25 and a 10lbs plate which is about a total of 2-3"
    [/quote]

This is what i have been over analyzing with the decline/incline tilt variations, the actual height of the tilt. I have been using per your lab spill on the subject a 45lb plate which raises whichever end by 1.5-1.75" http://www.T-Nation.com/strength-training-topics/2257

If you look at it you can barely see a tilt either way but i assumed that’s the point, 4" i found was way too much and way to close to an actual Incline or decline.

I was curious though if it can be too slight or maybe anything from 1.5 up to 3" is fine and just a matter of preference. Again, this is probably me majoring in the minors here though.
[/quote]

That’s interesting - I’ve found the 4" tilt to be really comfortable.

I have been using 2x4s, two of them = ~3.5 inch lift, and is also very comfortable. It’s hard for me to conceive that a 1 1/2" lift incline/decline can make that much difference - did “feel” much.

I have the same issues with leg drive on the decline, but am able to pack my shoulders/lats/back and maintain is much better than the inclined.

Also, on the inclined using JM’s constant tension - no lockout, I get a huge pump in upper chest, more than any other movement by far.

I have found that a 1.5" tilt is drastically different from a flat press. My decline tilt full bench is between 30-40lbs heavier, and my incline tilt is between 10-20lbs heavier…and my shoulders don’t feel it. I get adequate leg drive and full-body tension either way. When I go higher (above 3"), I lose the leg drive due to the relative steepness of the angle.

[quote]defenderofTruth wrote:
I have found that a 1.5" tilt is drastically different from a flat press. My decline tilt full bench is between 30-40lbs heavier, and my incline tilt is between 10-20lbs heavier…and my shoulders don’t feel it. I get adequate leg drive and full-body tension either way. When I go higher (above 3"), I lose the leg drive due to the relative steepness of the angle.[/quote]

Yes, that has been my observtion too, the initial 4" recommendation is too much. 2" is really what most people should use.

One thing I’ve noticed is the height the bar starts from my chest is very important. My setup has where the bar can either be 2" or 4" from my chest at start, which I believe are both within the range CT gave. I usually use the 2" point but my triceps would fatigue too much before my chest and I felt some strain on my shoulders. This week, I went to the 4" and not only do I feel it better in the chest, but my weights went up as well. I almost feel like the bar is too high now but it does feel much better to me. Thoughts?

[quote]GeneticSynergy9 wrote:
One thing I’ve noticed is the height the bar starts from my chest is very important. My setup has where the bar can either be 2" or 4" from my chest at start, which I believe are both within the range CT gave. I usually use the 2" point but my triceps would fatigue too much before my chest and I felt some strain on my shoulders. This week, I went to the 4" and not only do I feel it better in the chest, but my weights went up as well. I almost feel like the bar is too high now but it does feel much better to me. Thoughts?[/quote]

I use 4" start point from chest for the fact that I have relatively long arms and my ROM is still 12"+.

I felt this point was perfect for balancing chest / tri’s stimulation.

[quote]GeneticSynergy9 wrote:
One thing I’ve noticed is the height the bar starts from my chest is very important. My setup has where the bar can either be 2" or 4" from my chest at start, which I believe are both within the range CT gave. I usually use the 2" point but my triceps would fatigue too much before my chest and I felt some strain on my shoulders. This week, I went to the 4" and not only do I feel it better in the chest, but my weights went up as well. I almost feel like the bar is too high now but it does feel much better to me. Thoughts?[/quote]
I’ve been setting pins at 2" as well and it’s been going good but reading this i’m going to try raising to 4" to see if i get an even better feeling in the chest.Thanks for the info.