Decline Tilt BP Problem

CT, first let me say your layer system is the most productive and fun system I’ve ever used. When I started I could BP 1RM 295. Last week I did 3RM with 300. Great progress for 62 years old.
Ok, I’ve developed a slight strain in my left delt-pec tie in. It is only a problem obviously when doing dec tilt BP’s. (I’m not doing inc tilt BP’s)

Also, I’m not benching from pins. Would switching to pins help me to circumvent this problem and if so about how high the pins above the chest?
Thanks again for changing all our training lives with your brilliance.

[quote]GeorgeCulp wrote:
CT, first let me say your layer system is the most productive and fun system I’ve ever used. When I started I could BP 1RM 295. Last week I did 3RM with 300. Great progress for 62 years old.
Ok, I’ve developed a slight strain in my left delt-pec tie in. It is only a problem obviously when doing dec tilt BP’s. (I’m not doing inc tilt BP’s)

Also, I’m not benching from pins. Would switching to pins help me to circumvent this problem and if so about how high the pins above the chest?
Thanks again for changing all our training lives with your brilliance.[/quote]

Thanks for the good words! Anybody who can move that amount of weight at 62 deserves mention!

Bench from pins might be a good ideam BUT do not explode from pins… gradually build up tension to get the bar moving then push hard.

In your case I would start with a fairly high pin setting to reduce pec strain, then as you improve and the pec starts to feel better you can lower the pins. Start with the bar at a height where the elbows are at about a 100 degrees angle (so a bit above the sticking point) gradually lowering the position every 2 weeks.

Thanks CT!! Thankyou so much! I knew you would know what to do!