Declaration Of Independence Banned At Calif School

[quote]nephorm wrote:
It does say “excerpts.” Now, if this teacher was specifically cherrypicking quotes from historical sources so that he could “prove” to his class that the founders were religious, that is an inappropriate lesson. If he made his class into a who’s who of historical Christians, I think that it would be legitimate to say that that really shouldn’t be the focus of his class.[/quote]

nephorm, if that were the case, I would agree!

I think it’s pretty likely we aren’t getting the whole story here… newspapers like to sell their articles, and they often withhold a little information, or massage the issue a bit to get readership.

[quote]doogie wrote:
From what I understand, none of the quotes mentions Jesus. They all referred to the generic “God” and “Almighty”. Hard to argue that he was pushing Christianity.[/quote]

What the quotes say and what the teacher says are two separate issues. Hopefully we’ll get more info.

Plus there’s not a source for the article or a link - makes me think it’s a press release.

So, as I said, if it’s as it was represented, definitely a problem – but the caveat is that I haven’t seen any references to this in the usual First Amendment-focused channels.