T Nation

Decisions Decisions..

Long story short: We have a below average highschool football team and an even worse strength and conditioning program (which I think is the main reason why we are not good) but my brother has a great class for our school, and him and his friends are getting motivated for the offseason to get better and asked for my advice. So now I’m asking for your advice. I had a few ideas…

Madcow:
lift: monday, wednesday, friday
Postion drills after every workout
MAYBE some plyos on tuesday and thursday

OR

Westside:
Monday: ME upper
Tuesday:DE lower
Thursday:DE upper
Friday:ME lower
Sport specifics 2-3 times a week

OR

Pull/Push/Legs/“Free day”

Also, they know little to nothing about nutrition so I’ll focus there meals on these things, any others are appreciate.
3 meals/day
Meat/Vegetable/Fruit/Carb source in that order with milk
1 shake a day of 2 scoops whey, natty pb, 1 cup oats,2 cups milk

Supps: If they can afford it…Multi, creatine (pre and post), beta alanine + caffeine (pre)

[quote]chobbs wrote:
him and his friends are getting motivated for the offseason to get better and asked for my advice. So now I’m asking for your advice.[/quote]
“Get better” is vague for an offseason goal, so it’s going to be tough delivering one workout to an entire group. Just remember that there’s more to offseason training than lifting, but it’s also a good chance to stay off the football field (while still training the necessary skills) for a bit.

Good ideas so far, I’d also check out stuff from Eric Cressey, Dan John, Joe DeFranco, and Wendler. All have experience working with younger athletes. Any of these would work:
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_regular_guy_offseason_strength_program

You’ve got some solid ideas. Keep it simple like that. I’d give them all a link to The Athlete Diet for some more basic tips on improving each meal:

That’s fine enough, but beta-alanine isn’t high on the priority/cost list. Flameout would be a good addition. And no way would I, as a coach, specifically recommend high schoolers take caffeine pre-workout.

Primarily from a liability standpoint, all it takes is one wannabe-hardcore kid deciding to pound three XL-Monsters on his way into the weight room, pass out and get carted home. One phone call from his mom later and I’m out of a job and crossing my fingers there’s no lawsuit in the mail. “Mr. Colucci told my son to take caffeine before working out!” I’m not saying to dissuade them if anyone brings it up, just that I wouldn’t be writing it down to be interpreted as a “must-have” supplement.

Oh shit, how could I forget 5/3/1…

Great point about the caffeine!
Your second article that you mentioned was the exact article I was thinking of when I put the Pull/Push/Legs/Free split. That’s really ironic about your last article b/c they all go to Southwood lol

WS4SB Google. Plus drills on off days for gpp

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Your second article that you mentioned was the exact article I was thinking of when I put the Pull/Push/Legs/Free split. That’s really ironic about your last article b/c they all go to Southwood lol[/quote]
Ha, well then… destiny. :wink: But yeah, any of those templates should be fine. A well-designed basic lifting plan plus some non-football-still-athletic sports conditioning won’t go too far wrong.

[quote]Reed wrote:
WS4SB Google. Plus drills on off days for gpp[/quote]
Just to clarify something Wendler often points out… “GPP” has become a bastardized term for cardio/conditioning/mobility stuff, but weight training is GPP for football. I think that’s a solid reminder to adjust perspective and avoid over-focusing on the wrong things.

Chris- I agree I believe I was more focused on the weight training as the main priority as opposed to football. So I was thinking the drills and conditioning would be considered gpp but this is not a good way to think considering foot ball should be the main objective not the other way around. My thought process was relatively flawed. Without how ever I still highly reccommend WS4SB great for off season athletes and does require much set up of bands and what not compared to standards westside.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Chris- I agree I believe I was more focused on the weight training as the main priority as opposed to football. So I was thinking the drills and conditioning would be considered gpp but this is not a good way to think considering foot ball should be the main objective not the other way around. My thought process was relatively flawed.[/quote]
I used to think pretty much the same thing, but when I heard Wendler explain it, it was definitely an “oh shit, that makes sense” moment.