T Nation

Deciding What To Do

Hey Guys,

My goal is to be shredded by May 14th, roughly 12 weeks out. I always do my training in 4 week increments at a time before adjusting. So I figure I have three more 4 week blocks I can use in my quest. I have been dieting for 8 weeks with the following diet and training and had good results.

Calories Fat Carb Protein
1947 65 68 244

5 x 5 Big Lift (Squat, Dead, Bench, Pull Up)

4 x 6-8 Secondary Lift (Inc Flys, Lunges, SLDL, 1 Arm Row)

3 x 8-10 Tertiary Lift ( Cable Cross, Low Row, Leg Ext, Leg Curl)

3 x 10-12 Tertiary Lift

3 x MAX REP (Push Ups, Squat Jumps, Leg Raise from Mat, Straight Arm Lower)
The Idea here, is my muscles should fail during these from being previously trained.

3 X Abs 10-12 Every workout, different exercise

30 Min Light Cardio

I am about to switch my training and diet I think but I am curious your thoughts. My first thought is to slap on some muscle for the next 4 weeks. Same Workout except I am just going to do incline walking for my 30 min cardio instead of the light jog I have been doing.

I am also planning on reintroducing carbs and adding 1000 calories to my diet. My reasoning for this is that I have been eating low calorie for a while and think I need to build a little before dieting hard again. I worry that I am eating so light for over 8 weeks at this point.

After that phase I will cut calories again and add in some HIIT in the evenings. The goal from then to May is just getting as lean as I can HOPEFULLY with higher calories than current.

Good plan? Or should I skip the muscle build and just keep dieting my way there?

Where did you get the idea that consuming less than 2000 calories consistently for many weeks is the proper way to lose weight?

This site has a lot of info. Use the search function.

[quote]DoingWork421 wrote:
Where did you get the idea that consuming less than 2000 calories consistently for many weeks is the proper way to lose weight?

This site has a lot of info. Use the search function.[/quote]
To piggy back on this, about half are coming from protein, which is not very efficient for the body to use as energy. Therefore you are doing your best to get yourself into starvation mode, and muscle wasting. Eat to fuel your body.

Well…the search function got me to a Nate Miyaki article which recommended bodyweight X 10 to get calories for cutting so I did that and had good results. Now I am obviously concerned about how low my calories are and getting them back up, I am just curious that if you had 12 weeks from where I am would you add muscle by increasing calories 500 over maintenance to break up the cut and get my calories up?

IMO…10 calories per pound should be considered an absolute floor. I think you should try to increase your calories and continue your cut. When you add the carbs.; I would start by adding them around your workout first. Based on the pic, I suspect you have another 15 lbs. to loose.