Deciding to Buy a Motorcycle?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
michaelv wrote:
A need for speed.

That almost sums it up. I am an adrenalin junkie. I need to get my heart rate up, whether it be from scary movies, riding really fast or anything else that sparks my interest. I never grew up around bikes, however, they are slowly becoming extremely popular in urban culture. I saw riding a motorcycle as something that I had never done and I hate not having tried something like that. I taught myself, began riding with other people, took a safety class and loved it. It is the ultimate escape. Nothing matters while you are riding. If you are in a group it suddenly becomes a pack mentality so it is almost primal. I hope I am never in an accident because I would like to ride for the rest of my life.

As far as how a newbie should approach it, go to a bike shop and simply look around. Listen to other people talk about them. Watch the races on ESPN. Learn what a stoppie is and why some people think they are cool if they can do one for a quarter mile. All bikes are not the same. Guys who ride cruisers are almost a different culture than guys who ride sports bikes. We all wave at each other, but there are unique differences. Some is based on attitude, age, or overall style. Some of that is even changing though with the chopper shows on tv. Hell, I want one now even though I used to hate cruisers.[/quote]

Thanks, Prof. I was hoping you would post and that pretty much nails what I was hoping for in a response because I was curious about the mindset. Very much appreciated. I’ve been thinking about this of late since my favorite BBQ place nearby is actually attached to a Harley/Buell dealership. So, I would cruise in there after downing a mound of brisket and browse around the shop. After the looks of a Harley V-Rod caught my eye, I thought I would see how people came to enter their love affair with bikes.

I’m going to chat up a few people who are bikers and see what more I can learn.

Kuz

Lots of good advice here. One more thing. Don’t fall into the “I gotta have a Harley mentality”. There are a lot of fine and less expensive bikes out there. The Harley crowd tends to be very myopic and unless it’s a Harley, it ain’t shit to them. That kind of thinking is just stupid. And the funny thing is most of the Harley clones realy don’t know that much about the motorcycle. It’s all about the “lifestyle”. Hey, I can talk, I own four Harleys (among other makes) and I’ve had to tolerate the stupid questions.

So ride for the joy of riding, but also learn something about the history of motorcycling. You will be amazed at how many American manufacturers there were before the Great Depression. Then if you’re really interested, go to a national vintage motorcycle meet where you can see the machines and people riding them. Cool stuff. More knuckleheads than you can shake a stick at. The best is the really early stuff from the teens and twenties. It is interesting to see how different manufacturers solved the same problem.
I love this shit.

TT means time trial. as in isle of man TT.

I would recommend a naked bike. that way if you do stuff it, no expensive plastics. also, a honda 500 for 1 year would get your confidence up in my opinion.

as to my reasons of getting a bike.

1. boredom GF away at uni
  2. Early midlife crisis.
  3. I wanted to learn something new
  4. It has always appealed, for the las 4 years i have been going on abut it, so i had the money, and did.

Summer is coming, when i get somemoney will get it road worthy, and get some miles under my belt.

I got a buddy who was involved in a wreck and screwed his back up pretty good. He doesn’t ride anymore.
I noticed a few of you mentioned having been in wrecks and continued to ride.
Have any of you ever wrecked and seriously considered putting the bike away for good?
What tipped the scales in either direction for you?

Just curious.

Prince Paul

[quote]PrincePaul wrote:
I got a buddy who was involved in a wreck and screwed his back up pretty good. He doesn’t ride anymore.
I noticed a few of you mentioned having been in wrecks and continued to ride.
Have any of you ever wrecked and seriously considered putting the bike away for good?
What tipped the scales in either direction for you?

Just curious.

Prince Paul[/quote]

What makes people constantly bring up stories about some guy they knew who had been in an accident whenever they find out you ride a motorcycle?

On a daily basis, if someone sees my motorcycle helmet, I will be hit with yet another story of a guy they knew who was injured. Do people who do this feel good when relaying these stories? Why isn’t it seen as rude at all? I knew a buddy who got injured in a car accident. I even knew a guy who was in a car wreck…and then rode in cars again. What makes someone ride in cars after being in a car wreck? Why don’t they just take the bus?

Because their steel shells give them a false sense of security. “You’re more likely to get kill on a bike - there’s no protection”. I never hear people complaining about cyclists riding on the road with absolutely no protection and not even able to keep up with traffic.

Getting out of bed involves risk. If motorbikes were that dangerous they’d be banned, but they’re not and I’ve only had 1 accident in 9 years riding - and even then I only fractured a bone in my hand - 8 years ago!

I’ll keep my 2-wheel thankyou very much.

[quote]Neebone wrote:
Because their steel shells give them a false sense of security. “You’re more likely to get kill on a bike - there’s no protection”. I never hear people complaining about cyclists riding on the road with absolutely no protection and not even able to keep up with traffic.

Getting out of bed involves risk. If motorbikes were that dangerous they’d be banned, but they’re not and I’ve only had 1 accident in 9 years riding - and even then I only fractured a bone in my hand - 8 years ago!

I’ll keep my 2-wheel thankyou very much.[/quote]

Me too. I will say that most accidents seem to occur to those who are new on a bike. You have guys who have never owned a bike before jumping on 1 liter bikes before they even know how to handle themselves in traffic all so they can impress someone. People like that are destined to drop a bike because they lack skill and self control. I know the bike I have now shouldn’t even be touched by someone who hasn’t been a regular rider for more than a few years.

I started out as an 8 year old on dirt bikes and went from there.

I’ve had three accidents on the road. Each one was a single vehicle incident. One involved a dog running in front of my bike (that one hurt pretty bad), another was braking in the rain and hitting a painted line (I knew better too - minor scratches), and another was a tractor in the middle of the road around a blind corner (I went off the road to avoid the tractor,totalled the bike, but I walked away).

We wont even count the crashes on the racetrack because those are to be expected.

With a motorcycle, I believe in starting small. Get a beater and beat it. Learn how to ride on something you wont worry about dropping. A daul purpose bike can be a good starter if you are tall enough.

For me, riding was all about the challenge. That elusive perfect lap, that perfect braking point, downshift, flick it into a corner, hit the apex, spin the tire up on the exit to get that phenomenal drive on the straight.

Riding a 600 and beating the 750s… that was always cool.

I’m always one that exercises extreme caution when a person expresses an interest in streetbikes. I’ve had friends die from streetbike accidents. Most of them were because they were over-mounted.

Don’t let this happen to you.

I am an adrenalin junkie. I need to get my heart rate up, whether it be from scary movies…[/quote]

Christ, grow a set would ya!

I had a cycle a few years back. It was too strong for me, Katana 750, and I had zero experience. It doesnt help that I was on tippy toes at stops also! I bought it, they delivered it and I just hopped on it. I had never been on one before. I learned to ride that day but it was way too much for me and I was way way way out of my riding skill with that thing. I should have listened to the advice the people here are giving, get a beater and hammer the shit out of it until you can ride properly. Then gradually go up in power. The next bike I get will be a low custom job.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
I had a cycle a few years back. It was too strong for me, Katana 750, and I had zero experience. It doesnt help that I was on tippy toes at stops also! I bought it, they delivered it and I just hopped on it. I had never been on one before. I learned to ride that day but it was way too much for me and I was way way way out of my riding skill with that thing. I should have listened to the advice the people here are giving, get a beater and hammer the shit out of it until you can ride properly. Then gradually go up in power. The next bike I get will be a low custom job.[/quote]

My first bike was that 600 R6. I made every mistake from stalling at green lights to not knowing how to handle cars using you as target practice. I truly believe anyone dumb enough to get a bike with more power than that as their first bike deserves what they get. I just got to see a newbie from my gym buy a Honda 600 (2006) fresh off the show room floor and destroy it the same week. It was his first bike. If you are a dumbass and your goal is to do wheelies and stoppies in traffic, do the rest of us a favor and stay off a motorcycle. It just makes us all look bad.

PGA200X wrote:
I had a cycle a few years back. It was too strong for me, Katana 750, and I had zero experience. It doesnt help that I was on tippy toes at stops also! I bought it, they delivered it and I just hopped on it. I had never been on one before. I learned to ride that day but it was way too much for me and I was way way way out of my riding skill with that thing. I should have listened to the advice the people here are giving, get a beater and hammer the shit out of it until you can ride properly. Then gradually go up in power. The next bike I get will be a low custom job.

My first bike was that 600 R6. I made every mistake from stalling at green lights to not knowing how to handle cars using you as target practice. I truly believe anyone dumb enough to get a bike with more power than that as their first bike deserves what they get. I just got to see a newbie from my gym buy a Honda 600 (2006) fresh off the show room floor and destroy it the same week. It was his first bike. If you are a dumbass and your goal is to do wheelies and stoppies in traffic, do the rest of us a favor and stay off a motorcycle. It just makes us all look bad.[/quote]

I learned quickly it wasnt for me and sold it the next summer. I rode it a total of maybe 10 times just around my neighborhood. Next bike I get will be much much lower in power. I dont want/need it. I just want it for cruising and thats all. No tricks or any bullshit like that. I have my car for speed.

I have my bike for speed - very few cars can get anywhere near a sport 600 or bigger.

The thing is, its easy to go nuts in car because its got 4 wheels and doesnt really have a balance issue. You get stupid with a bike and its a high side, low side, face plant or ass plant.

I find good bikers tend to make better car drivers too. They’re usually more “aware” on the road.

Nothing matters while you are riding.

Guys who ride cruisers are almost a different culture than guys who ride sports bikes. We all wave at each other, but there are unique differences. Some is based on attitude, age, or overall style. Some of that is even changing though with the chopper shows on tv. Hell, I want one now even though I used to hate cruisers.[/quote]

You’re right on with that first statement, Prof X. As to the second… my ears must deceive me! You’ve finally seen the light: cruisers=badass; racers=jockey. They’re both great. It’s about freedom in mind and body.

Hey Prof X, if you set two pics out on a table (or whatever); one on a cruiser, one on a racer, the impressions by the female species would be wide ranging. I’d hazard to say, the cruiser would elicit more of a primal rut than a racer.

[quote]kroby wrote:
I’d hazard to say, the cruiser would elicit more of a primal rut than a racer. [/quote]

Then you have obviously never been sitting at a stoplight only to notice that a car of women has pulled up beside you and the driver has decided to pull her teeshirt up, show her glorious orbs and then ask if she can ride your SPORTBIKE.

[quote]Neebone wrote:
No tricks or any bullshit like that. I have my car for speed.

I have my bike for speed - very few cars can get anywhere near a sport 600 or bigger.[/quote]

You wouldn’t believe how many seem to think their car can beat a 600. If you are driving your car next to a sportbike 600 or higher made after 1999, give up.

Neebone wrote:

I have my bike for speed - very few cars can get anywhere near a sport 600 or bigger.

You wouldn’t believe how many seem to think their car can beat a 600. If you are driving your car next to a sportbike 600 or higher made after 1999, give up. [/quote]

I wouldnt race a bike nor would I think my car would take a crotch-rocket. Apples and oranges…

Neebone wrote:

You wouldn’t believe how many seem to think their car can beat a 600. If you are driving your car next to a sportbike 600 or higher made after 1999, give up. [/quote]

Exactly. How many cars can do a 1/4 mile in under 11 seconds?

As for chicks and bikes? Ow man - Prof X is right on the money there. Its sooooooooooo easy to get a chick on the back when you got a bike. They just line up…

Then you have obviously never been sitting at a stoplight only to notice that a car of women has pulled up beside you and the driver has decided to pull her teeshirt up, show her glorious orbs and then ask if she can ride your SPORTBIKE.[/quote]

You are correct. I’d probably faint upon such a site. Perhaps my ugly mug deters this from happening.

What happens to me at stoplights: sweat my ass off!!! It’s 110 degrees, not inluding the heat off the engine. All the hotties are sittin’ behind their tinted windows relaxing in the cool breeze of 70 degrees, jamming to whatever they think is hip today.

Neebone wrote:

People just don’t realise that most sports bikes will hit 100km/h (62mp/h)in under 3 seconds. Good luck finding a car that can do that for less than $10k. At least we can have fun with them at traffic lights.

To the OP:

In Australia the law requires you to start on a 250cc or smaller bike. It’s pretty stupid because the 250 two strokes are as fast if not faster than the 650 twins but it stops 18 year olds buying a new R1/GSXR1000 etc and killing themselves.

Consider something reasonable to start on because it’s better to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. You can always move up once you have the necessary skills.

Also, if you’re serious about track days or riding quickly check out “A Twist of the Wrist” by Keith Code. There are 2 volumes and it’s absolutely brilliant.